Michellin Pilot Road 2

Bike
2008 ST1300A
I have fitted a set of PR2's to my ST1300. Tyre pressures are 36 Front and 42 Rear. On long sweepers at appx 120KPH (70MPH) the rear end of the bike feels like it is wanting to let go. The original Bridgestones did not cause this sensation.
Is anyone having the same problem or is it just me getting used to a new tyre profile.
So far the new tyres have travelled about 1000 KM (600 Miles)?
Any Suggestions?

The rear tyre may just need some more time to wear in to the bike. Try some slower corners where you can get the bike right over for a while. Other than that, the rear shock may need slightly different settings, as the carcass may be slightly softer than the tyre it replaced. Long sweepers at 120kph should not tax the tyre too much, so it may be more a feel/suspension setup thing. BTW, where in Sydney do you get 120kph corners :)

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300A
Thanks mate - I can say with a high degree of confidence that speed was not the factor. The curves that I refer to are long sweepers on good highway and I was riding at or about the legal speed limit.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300A
Again many thanks -I will try your advice. The road in question is the tollway between Castle Hill and Camden. Posted limit is 110kph.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300A
Had it happen once, but it was my fault for going too hot in to a corner. Question, why are you running 36 in the front, shouldn't it be 42 also?
Honda Dealership suggested that 42 is too high for the bike irrespective of the manual. Just thought I'd try it. Supposed to slow up the steering?

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Honda Dealership suggested that 42 is too high for the bike irrespective of the manual. Just thought I'd try it. Supposed to slow up the steering?
I run 42 psi front & rear and have never experienced the issue you speak of. I'm on my 2nd set of PR2's and really like them..:dr13:

Bike
ST1300

If the tire is under inflated it theoretically will increase the wear rate as the tire squirms around on the road. The Honda engineers (smarter than I am) recommend 42 psi. Personally, I would stick pretty close to that number.

If you are going to run the front at 36psi please report your tire wear and comments on handling to this forum as it would be interesting to note.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
The lower the pressure the more heat, this accelerates tire wear. It will stick better but may feel like you have to muscle it into low speed turns. I prefer 40 and 40. This lets mine turn in a little quicker, but still gives me good mileage.

As far as break in I no problems on this started riding just like I was riding the BT's, no wiggle or sliding.

You may want to try different pressures just to see.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I run 42 psi front & rear and have never experienced the issue you speak of. I'm on my 2nd set of PR2's and really like them..:dr13:
I just got done with a set of PR2s and did not like the way they wore..However like Lanny, I did not experience your issue and I kept (at least tried) to keep front and back to 42..

I love it when a dealership says something opposite of a bunch of Honda engineers on their own product....I would side with Honda and not the dealership BTW..

Bike
'07 ST1300
I find the transition from the hard center to the soft side feels squirmy when new. It went away on my FZ1 by 1500 miles but is sticking around longer on the ST.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just several years ago tire makers like Michelin and Metzeler listed in their fitment guides tire pressure ranges for the ST1300 that ran from 34-38 F to 36-40 R or so. These presumably are developed from long experience with tire testing and expected use and perhaps from tire testing on the motorcycle.

I am of the belief that Honda's legal department had more to do with the 42/42 recommendation than Honda's engineering department. 42 just happens to be the max recommended cold tire inflation pressure of the two types of tires Honda that come as OEM.

Long wear and optimum handling are at odds with each other. I only did one track day on the 1300 but it handled great with 30/30 cold in the tires. The tire tech rep there (Michelin??? I can't remember) that day recommended 28/30.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Just several years ago tire makers like Michelin and Metzeler listed in their fitment guides tire pressure ranges for the ST1300 that ran from 34-38 F to 36-40 R or so. These presumably are developed from long experience with tire testing and expected use and perhaps from tire testing on the motorcycle.

I am of the belief that Honda's legal department had more to do with the 42/42 recommendation than Honda's engineering department. 42 just happens to be the max recommended cold tire inflation pressure of the two types of tires Honda that come as OEM.

Long wear and optimum handling are at odds with each other. I only did one track day on the 1300 but it handled great with 30/30 cold in the tires. The tire tech rep there (Michelin??? I can't remember) that day recommended 28/30.

I suppose you are correct Dave (Mr Smarty pants)

BTW, when choosing advice between me and Dave, I would chose Dave..:D

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a

I've done a couple track days with some of the racers and the techs. They all had me drop tire pressure for the day, but had me make sure to bring it back up for the road. Trackdays are more aggressive than normal riding and you'll generate alot more heat thus pressure. I've left trackdays with blisters all over my tires, but never seen any after any runs on my favorite roads.

My .02?

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300A
I find the transition from the hard center to the soft side feels squirmy when new. It went away on my FZ1 by 1500 miles but is sticking around longer on the ST.
Thanks for your input. It would would seem from replies to date that opion is varied. I will run this weekend on the lower tyre presures 36/40 or 42 and see what happens. Your description of squirmy seems apt but I hate the sensation.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300A
I suppose you are correct Dave (Mr Smarty pants)

BTW, when choosing advice between me and Dave, I would chose Dave..:D
Thanks Guys,
Seems to me that you are correct in your assumption. The Honda dealer in question said that 42/42 was indeed maximum however they were convinced that 42 front was way too high. Anyway, this weekend will tell after I try out the variables being suspension and pressures.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Mounted by PR2's from TwoBrothers today on my new Harbor Freight changer and just went for a short ride. Looks like I will have to take the front off again and break the bead I have a little hopping at real slow speed in the front. Looking at it a line in the tire 1/8 inch off the rim looks like it goes down to touching the rim in one area about 8 inches long. Didn't use enough soap I guess and it hung up in that area. Had this happen years ago when a dealer mounted one on my 85 goldwing. The new Harbor Freight tire changer worked great and so did the HF balancer. both tires only took 3/4 of a ounce and are great at speed. They do turn a lot quicker that the BS 021's I took off after just 7k, front was gone, rear could have gone for 1 or 2k more, I'll save it for a spare. Had to run and get rear pads they were down to paper thin at 16.5k front still at about 1/8".

Top Bottom