Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I have no doubt Joe will move it if need be.

Has anyone ridden all or part of the MABDR? A lot of the published route is forest roads and what look on Goggle Maps to be county routes (with a number) or picturesque names that suggest gravel. Is the majority of the route blacktop or gravel? I do know there are some alternates if you wish to stay entirely on blacktop, and similarly, there are some single track off road sections again as alternates. I am asking about the main route that you can download from the MABDR - the magenta route that shows up in Basecamp when you open the .gpx file.

Bike
R1200rt
most of the bdr routes are dirt dual sport routes. The site talks about 2 track roads....Dirt:)

i

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Can you show it to us poor computer Google maps/earth users?
Sorry, Larry, but I don't know how. I've been told you can map a route on Goggle maps and download that to a smart phone, but I've never done it. Best I can suggest is to download Garmin's basecamp to your computer, then download the MABDR (or whichever of the BDR routes that strikes your fancy). Click on the .gpx file and Basecamp opens showing that route with a magenta line. I also open google maps and look at the roads in earth view - the MABDR track on Basecamp is accurate enough that it is easy to pick out the roads on Google by their shape. The MABDR is a 1000+ mile 9 day trip through Virginia, Penna, and it ends south of Elmira NY (close to the NY-PA border).

Bike
2003 ST1300
I rode the MABDR route from the NY/PA border down to south of State College, PA. At least 80% of that part of the route is single lane dirt/gravel roads through State Forest lands. I rode a 250cc dual sport and would not have wanted to spend much time on those roads with a big street bike. Most would be possible, but not fun.
If you are in the state forests, there probably are no paved options other than routing way around.

Top Bottom