Migsel gps mount query

Bike
HONDA ST 1300
Just wondering if anyone has used the Articulated Migsel GPS Mount as opposed to the Ball Mount version. Looking at both versions on the Migsel website it looks to me that the Ball Mount version could be subject to more vibration than the Articulated.............thoughts please!!

Del

I use the ball mount with no stiffner. First time installed I mounted it directly to dash and noticed some vibration but not enough to make GPS hard to read. Took it off and added a piece of rubber I cut out of an old bath mat. Made it even better with no discernable movement or vibration under normal operating conditions.

In the most recent Iron Butt mag Rob Nye suggests the best place for a GPS is above the speedo to the left of center. Mine is in the center so I plan on moving it to the left and seeing if I like it better.
Michael

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have the ball mount, with a stiffener below that dash. It's rock solid. I did use it without the stiffener first, and while I noticed a little bit of bounce under some conditions, it wasn't enough to really worry me. And that's with a really heavy old 2730 GPS. With a more modern, lighter unit, it would be even less of an issue. I added the stiffener more as a matter of curiosity than any real concern about the mount.

Edit: I just went an looked at the articulated one. I thought you were asking about vibration from the dash, not the ball. The only time I've noticed an issue with the ball was when I first installed it with a plastic RAM mount. The weight of the GPS caused the plastic to fatigue, which resulted in a lot of vibration. When I replaced it with a metal RAM mount, problem solved.

What I like about the ball mount version is that I can mount things off center if I want. I have the GPS mounted to the left, which leaves room for an Aquabox on the right.

Top Bottom