Migsel ST1300 GPS Mount Hole Spacing

Bike
2007 ST1300
I ordered and received a Migsel GPS mount for my 2006 ST1300. Unfortunately, the hole spacing on the mount is about 10 mm wider than the hole spacing at the top of the windshield fairing. I measured the mount holes on the mount showing the center-to-center distance as just a bit over 6.5 inches (roughly 166 mm). Measuring the center-to-center distance in the holes in the fairing I get 6.125 inches (roughly 156 mm). You can see the issue in the photos. I've contacted Michel at the company and he is looking into it.

I would have a hard time thinking the fairing holes on ST1300's might be different between bikes but I'm wondering if one of you guys could measure the center-to-center distance on your bike and see if you get the same 6.125 I see on mine?

Attachments

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Mine look to be 6" inches apart but I measured without removing the caps, so 6 1/8" is very possible. Definitely no where near 6.5".

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I ordered and received a Migsel GPS mount for my 2006 ST1300. Unfortunately, the hole spacing on the mount is about 10 mm wider than the hole spacing at the top of the windshield fairing. I measured the mount holes on the mount showing the center-to-center distance as just a bit over 6.5 inches (roughly 166 mm). Measuring the center-to-center distance in the holes in the fairing I get 6.125 inches (roughly 156 mm). You can see the issue in the photos. I've contacted Michel at the company and he is looking into it.

I would have a hard time thinking the fairing holes on ST1300's might be different between bikes but I'm wondering if one of you guys could measure the center-to-center distance on your bike and see if you get the same 6.125 I see on mine?
Well that sucks

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have an old Migsel GPS mount on my 2006 ST1300; they were made correctly at one time. It is an imprecise measurement but around 6.125" on my bike.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Not at home to measure, but I thought Migsel was out of business?
Maybe it's just they aren't making this particular dash mount any more.
The dash spacing wasn't an issue for me, but what I found is the one RAM ball that mounts in the center, has a different thread pitch than the hole to the left and the hole to the right.
How crazy is that? I've tried 2 different size RAM balls, or the posts are different sizes I should clarify, and have determined I'll have to resize the other 2 holes with tap and dies.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The dash spacing wasn't an issue for me, but what I found is the one RAM ball that mounts in the center, has a different thread pitch than the hole to the left and the hole to the right.
How crazy is that? I've tried 2 different size RAM balls, or the posts are different sizes I should clarify, and have determined I'll have to resize the other 2 holes with tap and dies.
Hmmmm... @Sadlsor As delivered the 1300 uses those expanding bodywork plugs in those two holes. I suspect the Migsel and my RBIS mount do the same thing - they provide captive T-nuts to insert into the meter panel for the screws to thread into. My RBIS was supplied with 1/4-20 screws and T-nuts. This will not stand and I replaced them with M6 versions.

Maybe that's your issue too? A mix of metric and imperial fasteners?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmmmm... @Sadlsor As delivered the 1300 uses those expanding bodywork plugs in those two holes. I suspect the Migsel and my RBIS mount do the same thing - they provide captive T-nuts to insert into the meter panel for the screws to thread into. My RBIS was supplied with 1/4-20 screws and T-nuts. This will not stand and I replaced them with M6 versions.

Maybe that's your issue too? A mix of metric and imperial fasteners?
No, my issue is not the mounting holes... I installed it on the dash without a hitch, using the supplied hardware.
As it is now (and has been since I installed it 3 years ago), my issue is with the additional 2 holes for RAM balls, that came without the balls. One ball was included, and it mounted perfectly in the center hole. Those other 2 holes are drilled and tapped but I haven't been able to figure out the thread size / pitch.
My dies don't go in but a half-twist, and I'm skeered to force them in for fear of buggering up the holes. I'll have to do it anyway, but first I have to determine the thread pitch of the extra RAM balls I bought.
I have an appropriate tap and die set, but have never really used it to any extent, at least not successfully. I'm no machinist.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My dies don't go in but a half-twist, and I'm skeered to force them in for fear of buggering up the holes. I'll have to do it anyway, but first I have to determine the thread pitch of the extra RAM balls I bought.
I have an appropriate tap and die set, but have never really used it to any extent, at least not successfully. I'm no machinist.
Do not use taps to determine the thread size. I've used them to chase the threads on both T-nuts and regular nuts when I know the correct tap to use. It is surprising how often I'm removing more than a bit of metal. Take your Migsel to a good hardware store and try different sized nuts. Once you know the right thread diameter and pitch, then you can chase the threads if you want. I would not try converting a 1/4-20 to a 6mm - they are too close in size and when you are finished there might not be enough metal left to hold the RAM ball's stud securely.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
No, my issue is not the mounting holes... I installed it on the dash without a hitch, using the supplied hardware.
As it is now (and has been since I installed it 3 years ago), my issue is with the additional 2 holes for RAM balls, that came without the balls. One ball was included, and it mounted perfectly in the center hole. Those other 2 holes are drilled and tapped but I haven't been able to figure out the thread size / pitch.
Oh, that's right! I was forgetting that the Migsel has threaded holes for attaching the RAM balls. I'll wager a tall frosty one that coming from 'the continent' that they're M6-1.0 if they aren't 1/4-20.

RAM does make those, https://rammount.com/collections/popular-components-b-size/products/rap-b-379u-m616#

Then again maybe, M8-1.25? https://rammount.com/collections/popular-components-b-size/products/rap-b-379u-m81208#

Or you can get the hollow core RAM balls and use your own screws. https://rammount.com/collections/popular-components-b-size/products/ram-b-367bu#

OP
OP
Ron_WI
Bike
2007 ST1300
I ordered the mount from the Migsel website. He's still in business and providing the GPS mount for ST1300s. We're messaging back and forth. He apparently contracts out the manufacturing of this part as he said he switched suppliers a year ago. He doesn't have any left from the last batch of 100 so he can't check the spacing for himself. He's said mine is the first complaint he's received about this spacing issue. What's puzzling to him is that if the batch of 100 was off, how come he hasn't had complaints before mine?

I ordered the mount from the Migsel website. He's still in business and providing the GPS mount for ST1300s. We're messaging back and forth. He apparently contracts out the manufacturing of this part as he said he switched suppliers a year ago. He doesn't have any left from the last batch of 100 so he can't check the spacing for himself. He's said mine is the first complaint he's received about this spacing issue. What's puzzling to him is that if the batch of 100 was off, how come he hasn't had complaints before mine?
I ordered the mount from Migsel a few months back and had the exact same problem. After debating returning it, I applied my Dremel with a carbide bit and adjusted the spacing of the holes. I should have lodged a complaint, but I had better things to do.
After my shade tree machining, it serves well

John

OP
OP
Ron_WI
Bike
2007 ST1300
I ordered the mount from Migsel a few months back and had the exact same problem. After debating returning it, I applied my Dremel with a carbide bit and adjusted the spacing of the holes. I should have lodged a complaint, but I had better things to do.
After my shade tree machining, it serves well

John
I was away from the forum for a while. Thanks for the feedback John.

Top Bottom