Mileage award request for 200 000 miles

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
A fine effort by you and the ST STinkers, congratulations.
Where were the majority of these huge miles travelled, any on the Continent? Any major repairs along the way?
Cheers, D

OP
OP
STinkers
Bike
97 ST1100A
2024 Miles
A fine effort by you and the ST STinkers, congratulations.
Where were the majority of these huge miles travelled, any on the Continent? Any major repairs along the way?
Cheers, D
Firstly, thanks to everyone who's posted.

Thank's Duporth for asking the question about repairs and maintenance. I have to say repairs have amounted to not much really. Nothing went wrong at all until the alternator packed up at 97 000 miles, but I think that may have been my fault. I stripped the bodywork off it to give it a good clean with plenty of water and the alternator never worked again. Maybe someone can throw some light on to that one.
IMG_20220507_1557501_rewind.jpg
Other than that, nothing major, drive shaft and fuel pump all original, only the rear disc rotor has been replaced at 196 000, a rebuilt clutch master cylinder and a couple of ABS sensors. Front wheel bearings are original as are all clutch parts. Only other wear item was the Speedo drive gear, a busted Speedo cable and a replacement thermostat, that's it, nothing else. Total cost for replacement parts £1688 not bad in 200 000 miles of use.

I picked the bike up new in 1997 and it's never seen the inside of dealership or professional workshop since then so although I'm no expert, I must be doing something right. I don't fuss over it, I clean it, change fluids at the correct time and look at the valve clearances occasionally, only two have ever needed shimming and that wasn't until 190 000 miles. Oh and the carbs get balanced every now and then but it never feels any different afterwards.

All in all a fantastic motorcycle that has taken my wife and I overseas on 34 occasions now, from the very top of Europe (Nordcap) to the very bottom(southern Greece) and all countries in between, even North Africa.

The question is, what do I do with it now? I suspect things are going to start going wrong, nothing lasts forever. So do I sink money in to it for spares as required, at Honda prices that could be considerable, or do I pension it off and use something else. I'd be interested to see what people think I should do. I have acquired a 2000 st1100 with a mere 7800 miles on it, do I try to keep the miles low and use the old one, or to hell with it and put 200k on that one as well.

Here's a pic, and the high miler is the black one in case you couldn't tell lol.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thanks STinkers for your words and fleet photograph, a great story. Minimal maintenance for a 200,000 mile machine over 25 years of use, a mighty record for you both. You have obviously looked after the ST and regularly serviced it = years of reliability.

The alternator failure: I have hosed out many car engines without protecting the alternator from a drenching without problems (not to be recommended) although if the ST1100 is like the ST1300 where the alternator resides in the valley, perhaps the alternator's insides (technical term!) were inundated and held water for a while. Flooded connections too.

Thanks for your mini-travelogue. 34 trips overseas! That is impressive, a dream, and using the ST for what is was built to do. Lots of memories there, wow!

2 ST's: Personally I would bring the low-miler into service and enjoy it. If both are registered for the road, you could use the high-miler for shorter trips.

All the best to you for future enjoyment of your two ST's and thanks again for your story.

D

Top Bottom