Mineral/baby oil to soften older vinyl

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
I had bought a used Corbin a few years ago because the stock seat just wasn't very supportive on longer rides (I have a bony ass, not much natural padding back there). In general, it is a good improvement in comfort. Aside from the weight penalty, my only complaint was that the old vinyl wasn't very compliant and would eventually start to hurt despite the wider seat.

After contacting Corbin, they said it would be $250 to reupholster the seat, plus shipping costs. Oof. So, I thought that maybe Google would bring up some ideas, and mineral oil came up a lot to use to restore some suppleness. I figured, for $3 a bottle why not?

In short, it does indeed work to make it a little softer, but it takes multiple applications as it will be absorbed and presumably evaporate. It took probably a week of daily applications to get to where it was still visibly oily after a day or so sitting. As to feel, it's not a night and day difference, but noticeable to the touch. Of course, wipe the seat off before riding so you're not sliding all over, or stain your pants.

I had bought a used Corbin a few years ago because the stock seat just wasn't very supportive on longer rides (I have a bony ass, not much natural padding back there). In general, it is a good improvement in comfort. Aside from the weight penalty, my only complaint was that the old vinyl wasn't very compliant and would eventually start to hurt despite the wider seat.

After contacting Corbin, they said it would be $250 to reupholster the seat, plus shipping costs. Oof. So, I thought that maybe Google would bring up some ideas, and mineral oil came up a lot to use to restore some suppleness. I figured, for $3 a bottle why not?

In short, it does indeed work to make it a little softer, but it takes multiple applications as it will be absorbed and presumably evaporate. It took probably a week of daily applications to get to where it was still visibly oily after a day or so sitting. As to feel, it's not a night and day difference, but noticeable to the touch. Of course, wipe the seat off before riding so you're not sliding all over, or stain your pants.

Try a local upholstery, they may be able to do the job for less money.
Marine vinyl will withstand the sun rays better than the regular one and last longer.
Good luck

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I noticed that multiple applications of Armor All noticeably softened an only vinyl dash in an old car of mine and that was unexpected. The downside (it's Armor All Jake) is that the dash was very shiny in the windshield and there was a lot of outgassing forming a film on the windshield so no more Armor All.

I made the same mistake of using it on my first bike – a Honda '65 CL77 (305 Scrambler). That was the first and last time it went on any bike I owned.

When I got a Corbin seat for my V65 Sabre the last thing they did before mounting it on the bike was spray it with a very light oil and wipe in down. It was never explained to me why that was done or any care and feeding over its lifespan. As it turned out, the seat was uncomfortable and I put the stock seat back on.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Try a local upholstery, they may be able to do the job for less money.
Marine vinyl will withstand the sun rays better than the regular one and last longer.
Good luck
+1 One of the guys in our local Guzzi club gave me the name of an auto upholstery shop. I had him recover my SP1000 seat - long old fashioned bench type for $150. This was a while ago, but was cheaper than most other places and he did a great job. However, $250 does not sound unreasonable.

Top Bottom