Missing coolant?

Bike
2010 ST1300
This winter I replaced my thermostat and O-ring, along with the big hoses from the radiator to the engine and stat housing (the easy to reach, big ones), and put new Breeze clamps (replacing the OEM clamps) on the hoses I could reach. Did not do anything more to drain the old antifreeze - such as pull plugs on the block. After I filled the system and overflow tank, I burped the engine by running it until I got one bar on the temp gage, revved it a few times, shut the engine down and checked hoses for leaks (none), checked the radiator (full to the cap) and topped off the expansion tank to the full mark. Then I put electrical tape on the expansion tank with an arrow pointing to the fluid level with "Full to here" and the date. Few days later I test rode the bike for about 40 miles - no leaks. Did the Mansfield RTE and put about 230 miles on the bike in one day, and discovered that a full lock turn disconnected my heated gear coax plug extension wire in front of the forks. At the beginning of the ride (in light to heavy rain) I smelled hot fluids - probably rainwater and juices that I spilled on the exhaust when I drained the a-f, oil, and maybe a drop of brake fluid during my winter service. These smells went away as the ride progressed and rain stopped. Temp indicator was pegged on 3 bars for the whole ride - I kept checking it to make sure the new stat and hoses had not failed and dumped all the coolant.

Today I pulled off the left middle cowl, made the heated gear coax wire longer, and noticed the fluid level in the expansion tank was down about 1 1/2 inches. Looked under the bike, and as far aft as I could see with a good flashlight on the right side. No evidence whatsoever of leaking anti freeze. Checked the left side (which was completely open) and also saw no leaks, dried a-f, or any sign that there might be something amiss. I looked everywhere I could see without pulling more tupperware than the left middle cowl, left inner cowl, left lower cowl, and lower inner cowl behind the front wheel. Nada. Engine runs like a sewing machine.

Is it common or likely that there were air bubbles in the block that were replaced by fluid from the overflow tank? I probably added less than a cup when I topped it off today. Bike is ready for a ride tomorrow.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think you're probably right, ride it and keep an eye on the level, although I don't know how easy that is on the 13.
I recently changed the top hose on my 11 and exactly the same happened and by about the same amount.
The only problem with my 11 is you can't see enough through the bodywork to check the level correctly, but that's my problem not yours!
Upt'North.

Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
I had exactly the same experience after full flush, thermostat and hoses change a few weeks ago. I followed the manual to burp and just about any other suggestion I found here but 24 hours later, my reservoir level was down 1 1/2-2 inches. I noticed it and topped it off, making a mental note to keep an eye on it. I've ridden it several times since then with no further changes in the level.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you're probably right, ride it and keep an eye on the level, although I don't know how easy that is on the 13.
Thank you, Captain, and 'North.

On a 1300 there is a small inspection port in the middle cowls. The left one allows you half access to the coolant overflow filler cap and a birds eye view of the top of the tank. I just looked and I could barely see the fluid level even with the top of the factory mark (forget trying to see my tape on the outboard side). I'm not sure what the right port is for because the cylinder head cover prevents access to the oil filler cap. Maybe it's to allow you to verify that the plastic cover is still in place? (read this last w/ a touch of sarcasm).

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think it takes a few miles and time to get all the air out of the system when you completely drain it. That's been my experience anyway, and I've only done it a dozen or so times, so I might be wrong! ;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I burped the engine by running it until I got one bar on the temp gage
Mu suspicion would be that if the engine was only run long enough to reach one bar on the temperature gauge the thermostat never opened and the air that was trapped in the engine was never expelled. When you later took it for a ride the engine reached operating temperature, the thermostat opened and the air was expelled from the engine. This air was later replaced with coolant from the overflow tank resulting in low coolant level.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you, Captain, and 'North.

On a 1300 there is a small inspection port in the middle cowls. The left one allows you half access to the coolant overflow filler cap and a birds eye view of the top of the tank. I just looked and I could barely see the fluid level even with the top of the factory mark (forget trying to see my tape on the outboard side). I'm not sure what the right port is for because the cylinder head cover prevents access to the oil filler cap. Maybe it's to allow you to verify that the plastic cover is still in place? (read this last w/ a touch of sarcasm).
You have to get it fully warmed up to burp the air out of the coolant system.

The right hand maintenance panel is there so you can remove the cylinder head cover to access the oil filler and spark plugs. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic about it or just never have changed your oil.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
You have to get it fully warmed up to burp the air out of the coolant system.

The right hand maintenance panel is there so you can remove the cylinder head cover to access the oil filler and spark plugs. I’m not sure if you were being sarcastic about it or just never have changed your oil.
Never have changed my oil with the tupperware on. Nor have I pulled the plastic cover to access the filler plug through that small access port. My sarcasm was because the left side port gives you a limited view of the radiator overflow tank and I would imagine removing the cyl head cover and unscrewing the oil filler plug through the right port is a job best done by a 12 year old contortionist - small flexible hands will have an easier time than large, old hands.

Top Bottom