MIT-100 w/ GMRS tricks?

STOC #
Anybody running an intercom/radio setup using a mit-100 and a gmrs radio (i'm using a midland 600gxt?) please chime in and let me know if you had to do anything special to get things to work right, like use filters. Buddy and i have same setup and it just doesn't work right. Strange things like cold days seem to effect the PTT button.

thx.

Marty

STOC #
Anybody running an intercom/radio setup using a mit-100 and a gmrs radio (i'm using a midland 600gxt?) please chime in and let me know if you had to do anything special to get things to work right, like use filters. Buddy and i have same setup and it just doesn't work right. Strange things like cold days seem to effect the PTT button.

thx.

Marty

Hey Marty,

I've got the exact same setup and don't have any problems with the GMRS radio or the PTT switch. How do you mount the PTT switch?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I have issues with the PTT not working right in heavy rain. I've noticed that MotoComm uses the same PTT switch but they also have another PTT that looks more durable and has a hard plastic outer shell. The issue is that I can't find anyone that will sell just that part.

Curt

OP
OP
STOC #
Hi, Ken. Should have mentioned that i use rig on my KLR. I always post question here because there is far more interest/knowledge here than on other boards.

Just velcro PTT to handlebar. Have had "brain" in tank bag, mounted to frame, and now have it velcroed to speedo cluster. I've modded cables so i can use my earbud headphones, but my buddy is using stock stuff and he has problems too.

Did you have to mod your cable to work w/ Midland radio? Took us a while to figure that one out. Stock cable designed to work w/ CB. After we got one system modded we tested by having bike ride out and talk w/ other radio not on bike, just talking by holding it in hand. Worked fine. Just pulling our hair out w/ these intermitent problems.

Knowing someone out there has it figured out gives me hope, i guess.

Thx.

Marty

OP
OP
STOC #
I have issues with the PTT not working right in heavy rain. I've noticed that MotoComm uses the same PTT switch but they also have another PTT that looks more durable and has a hard plastic outer shell. The issue is that I can't find anyone that will sell just that part.

Curt
Hey, Curt. I don't think i have a problem w/ the PTT per se, i just think it appears i do. I've cut it open and it's just a simple switch inside. Have douched it w/ TV tuner spray and dielectric grease and still have problems. Interesting thing is that PTT activates radio w/ intercom unit off- can see the TX light come on. In this case it works everytime.

I'm thinking there's some weird ground loop or interferrence that goes on. Almost like it takes a while for something to "build up" and then it doesn't work. Did you say you use a filter in your rig?

thx.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't have anything on the CB because anything I used caused issues. Does the radio run on bike power or battery? Is it possible that the radio is near something on the bike that could cause feedback. This seems like a tough one since others have the same one with no issues.

Curt

OP
OP
STOC #
runs on batteries. Could be too close to something, but have tried different locations and still problems.

Do you know how a ground loop isolator works? It would go inbetween radio and unit?

M-

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
runs on batteries. Could be too close to something, but have tried different locations and still problems.

Do you know how a ground loop isolator works? It would go inbetween radio and unit?

M-
A ground loop isolator is used to isolate the ground of a device from coming in contact with the ground of another device. This is not an issue for your setup because the radio is running on batteries and therefore is not using a ground from the bike. Man this is a tough issue.

Curt

OP
OP
STOC #
A ground loop isolator is used to isolate the ground of a device from coming in contact with the ground of another device. This is not an issue for your setup because the radio is running on batteries and therefore is not using a ground from the bike. Man this is a tough issue.

Curt
Dang it Curt! Work w/ me here. You're supposed to say "yeah, that'll fix it". :rolleyes:

thx. anyway.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Dang it Curt! Work w/ me here. You're supposed to say "yeah, that'll fix it". :rolleyes:

thx. anyway.
This one is tearin' the *** out of me. So you have tried hooking your radio up to another bike and trying another radio on yours?

Curt

OP
OP
STOC #
No. Guess i could move everything to the ST. Might be hard to try another radio because cable has been modded to work w/ Midland only:

You can plug the "CB plug" into the Midland but it's not electrically correct. The mic plug needs 3 contacts, they being for the mic itself, the PTT circuit, and ground. There was an extra ground wire in the intercom that we used to make things work.

Anyways, thx for your pointers. Hopefully we'll figure it out sometime.

M-

I also have the MIT-100 installed. I don't use GMRS but have a question because I hear a ticking in one speaker which increases with the idle of the bike. I previously had the MIT-15 and didn't hear it with the same headsets I'm using now. It must be related to the direct connection with the bike battery? It's not that loud, but rather annoying. Any ideas?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I also have the MIT-100 installed. I don't use GMRS but have a question because I hear a ticking in one speaker which increases with the idle of the bike. I previously had the MIT-15 and didn't hear it with the same headsets I'm using now. It must be related to the direct connection with the bike battery? It's not that loud, but rather annoying. Any ideas?
You're picking up RF or a ground loop issue and it's because you are using bike power. Most likely you need to figure out who to get clean power to your unit AND try to make sure that your audio wires do not get near your coil/spark plug wires. If you're running your audio cabling under the tank and up the bars consider running the cables between the airbox and the frame. There's just enough room to get them through there.

I still have a bit of a whine and maybe a little tick but it is barely noticeable although some days are worse than others. Not sure why that is.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
No. Guess i could move everything to the ST. Might be hard to try another radio because cable has been modded to work w/ Midland only:

You can plug the "CB plug" into the Midland but it's not electrically correct. The mic plug needs 3 contacts, they being for the mic itself, the PTT circuit, and ground. There was an extra ground wire in the intercom that we used to make things work.

Anyways, thx for your pointers. Hopefully we'll figure it out sometime.

M-
I see other people on here using the same radio? I forgot that you had modded the cable. Are you absolutely sure that the cable doesn't have an issue where to wires might be touching sometimes, or all the time? Didn't Sink make the cable? Maybe you can have him check it or the person that made it.

I would consider trying another radio if you can but if sounds like you may have modded the radio cable from the unit?

Curt

I ran the power wires along the frame and tank to the left side compartment in the fairing where they terminate with quick connect wires to plug in the unit. When I have the set plugged in, the audio cables run from the compartment to the helmet so I can't possibly get them any further from the motor. I guess I have to live with it. What do you mean by clean power?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I ran the power wires along the frame and tank to the left side compartment in the fairing where they terminate with quick connect wires to plug in the unit. When I have the set plugged in, the audio cables run from the compartment to the helmet so I can't possibly get them any further from the motor. I guess I have to live with it. What do you mean by clean power?
Clean power is making sure that your power wires to your devices and intercom do not pick up RF from anything. I keep a noise filter handy to test to see if I have a power filtering issue or something else.

Here's a good power filter I use:
ELECTRONIC SUPPRESSOR ? 10 AMP
N-500 $17.00
http://www.davidnavone.com/filters.html

If you want to go to the extreme to prevent ground loops you can use a DC-to-DC power converter as an isolated power supply. What it does is isolate the ground of the output power from the ground of the bike. Good for powering a CB on your bike to prevent ground loop issues.

12 VOLT DC @ 2 AMP ISOLATED POWER SUPPLY
N-IP12A2 $99.95
http://www.davidnavone.com/filters.html

Curt

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I used the power filters from Electrical Con. that Curt put me onto. I got the one for the gold wing as it plugs right into the Quartet Harness. I also picked up the in line noise filter they have. I use it on the Sat radio as it is bike powered. I ran all wires between the air box and frame. Sound is clear as a bell.

I tried a motorola GMRS radio. Worked in the shop with my daughter in the house. I tired it with Louie Louie, but he could not hear me. All he could hear is clicking.

I need to pick up a radio that is supported by the MIT and try it again.

Has any one had any problems with the cell phone pickup? It has worked fine, but in the last few months, I can get a call and hear the person on the other end, but they can not hear me. All they can hear is the Sat Radio that I have on.

A call picks up fine. But the caller sometimes has problems understanding what I'm saying. I'm guessing the mic is too close. I haven't experimented much. Next time I ride, I'll try positioning the mic a little lower away from my mouth.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Has any one had any problems with the cell phone pickup? It has worked fine, but in the last few months, I can get a call and hear the person on the other end, but they can not hear me. All they can hear is the Sat Radio that I have on.
You may have to turn off the Sat Radio although it shouldn't come through on the cellphone. Now I can't remember if I turn mine off or not but I don't think I do. It's weird how, with a working unit, people have very different experiences. I'm thinking it might be that the phone is wired in a way that doesn't let the MIT know you're using it and so it doesn't mute the music. I have an issue where the MIT doesn't know I've hung up the phone and it remains on mute until I disconnect the phone jack and plug it back in. Then it comes out of mute. I've never heard of someone else having this issue so I think it's my phone. That's why I think it might just be the way your phone is designed that the MIT doesn't know you're using it and doesn't mute.

Curt

Top Bottom