MN to Phoenix and back.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Looks to be a pretty chilly ride around here if the weather guy is close to being right...17 to 33 degrees...supposed to be dry though after Friday....good luck on the return....I'd offer the couch but you only have 75 miles to go from my place.......ride well, ride safe.....ff

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Return Day1: 88 miles

Friday 3/30. After finishing up work at about 5pm, I thought I'd burn the remaining daylight and try out the Apache Trail mentioned by Bmacleod back on the first page. I found it quite the challenge but still glad I did it.

The entire route had great views along a twisted route with most curves posted at 10 to 20 mph. It started with old broken road, then road under construction with a layer ground off, then new pavement Yay! then a sign that said "Twisty Mountain Road Next 37 Miles" WOO HOO! then a sign that said "Pavement Ends 10 Miles" Allrigh...wait, WHAT?

Sure enough 10 miles later--dirt only.

The last 20 miles were still tight and twisty with very limited traction. I would have enjoyed it more with pavement but still appreciated the skills test. A few tense moments during patches of deep sand but most of the gravel and hard packed dirt was manageable. By the time I got back to pavement, I was drenched in sweat. The ST1300 was _not_ the bike for this road.

My reward was a scenic sunset.

After the sunset I went around the corner down 188 looking for gas and a place to sleep for the night and was rewarded with another gorgeous view. The road rounded a hill and cut a V between cliffs with the full moon directly ahead looking like a huge balloon just sent aloft. Way cool.

Later,
Kent Larson from Roosevelt, AZ (yesterday)
(no internet at last night's motel so this is a day late)

Attachments

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Return Day2: 954 miles

Today was all pavement and mostly flat, straight interstate. The start was full of 40mph sweepers climbing up and down mountainous terrain but, to my regret, that ran out after the first few hundred miles. The rest of the day I just made miles and "read" books.

I was able to use the summer gear all day but temps dropped into the 50's when I got close to Denver and quickly dropped to the low 40's when the sun went down so I pulled in for the night. I'll gear up with the winter stuff for tomorrow's ride.

Nothing exciting or interesting happened today. Tomorrow's forecast for Minneapolis is 33 and sunny so I don't expect anything too difficult for the last 900 miles.

Later,
Kent Larson from Denver, CO

The last 20 miles were still tight and twisty with very limited traction. I would have enjoyed it more with pavement but still appreciated the skills test. A few tense moments during patches of deep sand but most of the gravel and hard packed dirt was manageable. By the time I got back to pavement, I was drenched in sweat. The ST1300 was _not_ the bike for this road.
Very glad you survived the dirt portion of the Apache Trail. I'd like to know what Bmacleod took on it? (Bad recommendation my opinion) You are fortunate it is early in the year or it was just graded, the wash boards will beat every bolt and suspension to pieces on a road bike. I have seen cages lose it as their suspensions dance on the wash boards. And late in the day with fading light, you have some Giant Cahones'.

Best to you in your travels.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
You are fortunate it is early in the year or it was just graded, the wash boards will beat every bolt and suspension to pieces on a road bike. I have seen cages lose it as their suspensions dance on the wash boards.
Didn't feel that fortunate. There were plenty of wash board sections making it feel like I was riding a jack hammer. I'd hold off trying that road until it gets entirely paved. After that, I'd give it a high recommendation.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Apache Trail
My wife and I are doing a trip down near St Johns in mid May. She had suggested hat we do Apache Trail. Google told me something different. Looked like a great road until the dirt that you found. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Return Day3: 1067 miles

The day started at 23⁰F just South of Denver and ended at 23⁰F in Woodbury, MN.

Things got a bit dicey on East bound I-76 and the start of I-80 entering Nebraska as I was riding into a snow event. When the slush started building up and the wheel tracks narrowed, I pulled into a trucker station and contemplated getting a room for the day. After talking with an Officer who told me it got better going East, looking at radar showing the clouds drifting East and South and checking the forecast for Omaha (36 and sunny in 2 hours and for the rest of the day), I decided to press on.

It was tense and stressful as flashing signs kept showing "Warning slush and snow removal ahead. Reduce speeds." but I managed to finally break out into sun shine after another tank-full.

My last fill-up was about 3 hours South of home with sun touching the western horizon. I took another gamble riding sub-freezing roads in the dark for the last 2 hours of the trip but I knew it was sunny and upper 30's all day so I could count on the April sun giving me clear and dry roads. Turns out I was correct.

Put the bike in the garage about 9:30 local time and had a nice late supper with the family. Didn't have any trouble falling to sleep last night.

Sorry for the day delay in posting. I'm off to work but wanted to give a quick note in case anyone was worried. I'll drop another note tonight and share some thoughts about the ride.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Glad you made it...as someone who in a different century without heated gear did 800 miles in subfreezing temps and icy conditions in one day I fully appreciate what you went through....ff

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Now that I'm back home, family and work seem to burn up all my free time. Can't seem to find time to post.

I've still been riding 50 miles per day and am really looking forward to some April weather as this February stuff we are getting here in April sucks. I'm back on my winter bike (Yamaha WR250R) until it rains for a while and washes all the dirt and salt off the roads. Forecast for this weekend is more snow and temps maxed out below water's freezing point. I ride all Winter but always expect to have my summer bikes out starting in April. Enough already!

So some thoughts about the 4500+ miles done the last few weeks:

1. Weather/Time
I concur with the popular thinking. It is not the time of year to ride to Phoenix from MN and it is not a trip to do with 2 days riding time each direction. If I had the choice, I would have reserved at least 4 or 5 days for riding each way and done it when one could count on the roads being un-frozen and possibly even dry. I will always trade two 600 mile days with frequent twisty roads over a 900 mile day on the slab, if I have the time. There were lots of fun roads bypassed for time and I appreciate the notes provided on what to ride. Maybe next time if I'm needed back this Summer. Still, I'm happy with the decision to go. I enjoyed the trip and appreciated having my ST when I was there. If I could have eliminated the snow events on the way down and back, that much better, but I'm still satisfied with what I got.

2. Tires
By the time I got to Phoenix, the set of Continental tires I got with the bike were well shot. I'm sure the suggestions for tire sources would have work fine but it turns out Steve's Cycle was just a few blocks from the Red Roof Inn where I was staying. They sold me a set of Bridgestone T30 EVO GT tires for about $80 more than what I would have paid from Rider's Domain. They were in stock with a 2017 date code on the back was 2017 and a late-month 2016 date code on the front. $60/each to mount and balance with wheels on the bike. $80 for oil change with Honda HP4S (full synthetic). Plus they threw in a tee-shirt. Nice guys, great work. I would have saved about $80 on tires and $200 on labor had Marty from my local shop (www.gomotomn.com) done the work so I guess I'm counting this as a $280 tee-shirt.

The 'stones were immediately noticeable as much easier to tip-in than the Continental tires. No difference felt with overall stickiness but it isn't like I came close to the dry traction limit for either brand. I may have noted a little better control on slushy frozen roads on the way back as I didn't toss the ST with 'stones under me while I did toss it when on Continental but I think that was more me learning my lesson on the way down and not pushing it as much on the way back. The way back did have high cross winds and slushy roads but tires stuck.

3. Pain
I have memories of many 12+ hour days on bikes from my 20's and 30's (I didn't get kids until my 40's) and although I do remember getting pains mid-thigh where the Ducati 916 or Honda 900RR seat had a corner, I don't remember the stabbing ache between the shoulder blades or the feeling that someone had a crowbar and was trying to pry my hip-joint apart. Still it wasn't intolerable. I only got the mid-shoulder blade pain when I was riding under stressful traction conditions (high wind, slushy roads). I always got the hip-joint pain after about 4 hours in but could manage it by flying my legs or standing up for a bit. I was happy to find that despite feeling like a total wreck when I pulled into the garage I had no residual aches and pains when I got up the next day.

4. Books
I really like "Feeling the breeze, Passing the cars" with music playing but I found it even better getting books read to me through the Audible app as I put in long days. I re-"read" The Godfather (worth it) and The Fortunate Pilgrim (dull) by Mario Puzo along with Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben on the way down and started Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand on the way back. I'm sure nobody needs my review of the books but I would recommend the use of books to pass the time on long days. I really liked having the images of the stories superimposed on the scenery and giving me something else to think about as I rolled along making sure inattentive box pilots couldn't kill me.

5. Things that have to change.
- I can not do another trip without replacing the ST1300 dash with something I can read. I was lucky to catch the low-fuel flashing and I never could tell the time or number of miles on the tank.
- No longer will I count on Google Maps telling me where to turn. Frequently both Google and the iPhone Maps app would just stop talking when out-of-range or something. I needed to start making sure to note the mile markers (not mileage indicator since I can't read my dash) and keeping the "stay on XXX for 54 miles" turn point known so I could stop and re-check when my current directions reach their end. Never again will I not know every turn for the next segment from the start.
- Need more battery life. When in Phoenix, I purchased a 3x re-charge external battery for the iPhone. My LG headset had 13+ hours of life and didn't run out on any day but the iPhone didn't last past about 6 hours. With the external battery, the ride back was covered despite 13 and 14 hour days.
- Need more friends. Back in the days when I was racing on weekends and riding with groups every month and staying in touch with the 900RR news group and Minnesota Sport Bike Riders, I would have offers for places to stay and even bikes to ride (when flying into a city). But after getting two kids and stopping racing and never going on group rides my motorcycle friend group has shrunk down to 3 people, all local. Not enough for any stay-over offers on cross-country rides. Given the volume of quality people I see posting here all the time, I took a shot that someone may be up for a visit during this trip. No luck this time but my wife and I are planning on making more of the events this summer so here's hoping we meet up sometime and get added to your friend circle soon.

That's it for the ride report. Thanks for coming along and all the good suggestions. See you out there sometime.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I can not do another trip without replacing the ST1300 dash with something I can read. I was lucky to catch the low-fuel flashing and I never could tell the time or number of miles on the tank.
Just asking if you have the dash on the highest of the 3 settings? Only if the sun is directly behind me at the correct angle can I not read the dash. I do not have great vision.

There is a company out there that does upgrade the lighting LED's for the dash.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Just asking if you have the dash on the highest of the 3 settings?
Yep. I made sure I was on the highest setting.
I'll have to check against another ST sometime. I do have bad eyesight and it seems my low light vision is getting worse all the time. So it could be my particular ride is dimmer than most or just that my eyes are worse than most but either way, I have to fix something. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely do that before another trip.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Top Bottom