Modifying oem exhausts

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
Hey, what's wrong with the George Jetson sound of the stock exhaust? Now, if only my ST would turn into a briefcase when I park it...

It's unfortunate that so many on this site choose to criticize rather than answer a simple request but it's an older class of riders I suppose. Each to his/her own. Podium dismounted.

I think you may just find that many have been there, done that and can't see the point unless there are real performance advantages to be had. I have had a loud inline 4 GS1000 for 28 years, so the idea of a loud bike is not beyond me (I still have it BTW). In the case of that bike a 50% performance change with engine mods clinched the deal. I would rather spend the money on suspension modifications and tyres, as they are more limiting to road speed than a louder exhausts these days on the road. And you can get away more often with using the performance :)

"naturally I get a little ticked off when someone criticizes someone else's personal business"

They have mirrors on sale at Target - look into it.

The guy wanted to know how to make his bike louder without spending a lot of money. If you can't answer that question then why not just move on to another post instead of spending your time telling him how stupid it is do do that. That critisism has been made a thousand times in the past year. Some of you would like us all to have the same color bike and dress the same too.

STOC #
I'd say this thread does not display the SPIRT of the threads I normally read (and for which this site is noted). Dave has his answer thanks to a board member who elected to dig it up for him (that's what it's about). Maybe we should just move on... Bob

STOC #
I'd say this thread does not display the SPIRT of the threads I normally read (and for which this site is noted). Dave has his answer thanks to a board member who elected to dig it up for him (that's what it's about). Maybe we should just move on... Bob
Seems like saying you want a loud bike is akin to telling a new mother her baby is ugly.

I think it is more a viseral reaction to the "Harley" lifestyle many on this board are rebelling against. As I said Pleasant Note in exhaust is OK, setting off car alarms with a twist of the wrist is why I can't park my motorcycle in more than half of the parking garages in downtown Phoenix.

I have never bought the Environment friendly argument. Catalytic Converts are a net loss to the environment. They trade one harmfull exhaust for another harmfull exhaust and reduce efficiency of the engine, so you burn more fossil fuels. Primarily what a Catalytic converter does is break the engines emmissions down so they are not visible in the atmosphere by people as smog. However, the compounds are now smaller and more energetic. Instead of hanging around the ground as smog, eventually falling to the earth, they are smaller and more energetic and get into the uppper atmosphere where they still do harm.

EPA junkies in the US will routinely say that Catalytic converters and EPA mandated systems and fuels increase MPG. This is easy to prove or disprove. Look at vehicles that are sold here and in Europe. You will find that the same vehicle sold in Europe will get 15% to 20% better fuel economy.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Good/nice way to put it Bob!

Mark

STOC #
Bob seems that some people just have a bad case of PMS. All should be fine in about 30-40 days. :)

Wishing I could ride.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Bob seems that some people just have a bad case of PMS. All should be fine in about 30-40 days. :)

Wishing I could ride.
Come on down!
Maybe a little wet; but, I will not argue with a current temp of 57 under clear skies!

Mark

hi you are not alone! here is how I did the job 'step 1),center punch 8 spots in the recessed portion of all 4 exaust in the center between the existing small exaust pipes and the outer rim of the recess they are centered in .2) drill 1/8 pilot holes in all center punched areas 3) drill 3/8 in. holes in all pilot holes all the way thru the pilots and the baffel wall behind them .4) using 1/8 carbide drimmel bit remove the remaining material in the outer holes out to the rim of the convex area and smoth out around the existing pipe.use a 5/16 stone on your drimmel to smoth up your job and finally finish up with a cratex polishing wheel all done. nice sound! your o2 sencer willtake care of the slight reduction of back preasure but my 1300 no longer sounds like a (singer)

Last edited:
STOC #
hi you are not alone! here is how I did the job 'step 1),center punch 8 spots in the recessed portion of all 4 exaust in the center between the existing small exaust pipes and the outer rim of the recess they are centered in .2) drill 1/8 pilot holes in all center punched areas 3) drill 3/8 in. holes in all pilot holes all the way thru the pilots and the baffel wall behind them .4) using 1/8 carbide drimmel bit remove the remaining material in the outer holes out to the rim of the convex area and smoth out around the existing pipe.use a 5/16 stone on your drimmel to smoth up your job and finally finish up with a cratex polishing wheel all done. nice sound! your o2 sencer willtake care of the slight reduction of back preasure but my 1300 no longer sounds like a (singer)
Pictures Please. I would like to see the finished product.

Top Bottom