Mojolever vs. Nomar Lever

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I've been changing my own tires for years with the Harbor Freight setup and i always end up with a little red paint on my rims from the HF mount/demount bar.

I'm about to change my first set of tires on the ST (got around 12K out of OEM tires - OK, i should have changed them a thousand or so miles ago), and i'd rather not leave any marks on these new rims.

I've seen the Nomar lever in action at bike shows and rallys and it seems like a swell product. But the Mojolever seems to get really great reviews from anyone who's touched it. I've googled around and can't find anyone who's used both and prefers one over the other.

Does anyone have experience with both? With ST tires?

BTW, they're both around $100 but the Nomar lever comes with tire lube (spray and paste) and 3 extra tips.

Thanks in advance.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have tried to buy the Nomar bar and was told it was not available seperately. I bought a Mojolever this spring and used it for the first time 2 weeks ago to put a set of Avons on an ST1100. I LIKE IT - what a difference in effort and speed to install a tire.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the HF tire machine...changed one set of ST tires with HF bar and old tire tools...I swore never again. Got the MojoLever and have changed one set of ST tires...great improvement...I am very satisfied with the MojoLever...expect it to serve me well the remainder of my riding days.

Scratches...IMHO, you gotta be REALLY good or VERY patient to avoid scratches on the ST rim, especially rear, manually changing tires. I am neither. Unless you think you are one or both, expect scratches.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It would be cool if the HF changer had a receiver hitch option like the no mar - I'm sure it would be easy enough to make one.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I like the Mojo, but from the looks of the Nomar and seeing it in action, I wished I had gone that route. Either one is better than what comes with the HF tire changer.

Toroguy, click here for mods I made to my HF tire changer, virtually eleminates possibility of scratching rims. Mojo now has rim blocks to protect your rims, very similar to what I had made. They look to be the bomb for the HF tire changer.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Phil, I assume you had the changer tightened on the rim pretty good. I did my front last week, and it didnt spin with my home made blocks. I could see the rim turning when changing the rear tire, that's a beast to change.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
GREG - Yep, it was the rear, so I just did the same thing for the front. The blocks are nice for us lazy folks that don't want to have to make something up. Just drill the holds in the HF blocks and he provides the bolts and everything. As I said, I just drop an old broom handle between one of the rim spokes and one of the arms on the HF changer and problem is easily solved. BTW, was it you that replaced the center arm with a piece of pipe? If so, what was the pipe thread size? The center of my MF changer seems to have a 'funny' thread pattern. Thanks.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Greg. I had read your post, but (like Uncle Phil) just have been too lazy to make up the soft blocks...may go the Mojo Block route.

Bike
07 ST1300A
+100 on the Mojo blocks. Unfortunately, he just came out with those right after I made mine, or else I would have ordered them. They do look nice.

Phil, wasnt me, but I think I know what you're talking about, here is the thread you may have been thinking about. This is post is what got me hooked on the HF tire changer.

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I also have the HF tire changer. I built a receiver hitch mount for my HF changer. It works well but I have to place a concrete block under the bar that slides into the receiver to account for the rear suspension of my car (Taurus). I also made a spacer for supporting the wheel and protecting the disc rotors when breaking the bead.
I bought a No Mar Bar last Summer and LOVE it. This bar and the lube from No Mar makes a tough job a bit easier. I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes changing a tire on the ST fun, but I am happy to be in control of who scratches the rim (not that I DID, though) I have changed both front and rear tires on my ST, replacing Metzler Z4's with Z6's. I used the cut pieces of garden hose as protectors on my HF changer but I like the look the the plastic rim holders and might make myself a set of 'em. I've only put about 4k miles on my new Metzlers, so it will be a while before I'll need to replace them.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Wow, i didn't expect such a response to my request. Thanks to all.

Based on what i've heard so far, i'm leaning toward the Nomar lever. I might also spring for the Yellow Thing. Kinda pricey, but it seemed like a handy device (bad pun intended) when seen in person.

Regarding the MojoBlocks - i use some rubber strips where the HF changer grips the rim and i've never scratched a rim or had a one turn on me.

I went and bought some cutting boards like gregj had but mojo came out with the blocks at that time so I ordered them. They work fine but the rim tends to spin some when you get it in a bind so I just put a strap from the rim to the bar on the changer and that works fine. I have the mojolever and it is a bad muther. It is solid. While at Barber this past weekend I was at the nomar booth and got to try one of their bars, it is a lot lighter than the mojolever but does fine. I've changed both of my tires with my setup fairly easy but recently my son brought over his rear tire to change, it was a huge 190/55/17 off of his new Connie 14, together we changed it but it would have been tough alone.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Wow, i didn't expect such a response to my request. Thanks to all.

Based on what i've heard so far, i'm leaning toward the Nomar lever. I might also spring for the Yellow Thing. Kinda pricey, but it seemed like a handy device (bad pun intended) when seen in person.

Regarding the MojoBlocks - i use some rubber strips where the HF changer grips the rim and i've never scratched a rim or had a one turn on me.
Carl, instead of the yellow hand, use small wood blocks, they're perfect, and the price is right. I think mine are 2x3x1/4, I can double check tonight and let you know if you like. I use 3 on one side, to make it easier for the rim to fit into the tire changer. Putting the new tire on, I'll put one or two between the rim and the tire to a) keep the tire in the rim valley, and b) to keep the tire from walking itself off the rim. One yellow hand will keep the tire from walking off the rim, but you'll need more to keep the tire off the rim bead and in the rim valley.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Regarding the Yellow Thing: I already use blocks to hold the tire down, but i usually don't use them until i've already gone halfway around the rim and things start to tighten up. Watching the gal change tires at the bike show, she used the yellow thing before she even started - to keep the tire from popping out or following the mount bar around the rim. It never really occurred to me that one of the blocks would do the same thing. I've got about $400 more to spend (2 tires, nomar bar, plus some other stuff) in preparation of my trip in less than 4 weeks - i'll probably pass on it for now.

But it's such a neato looking tool.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I just wanted to follow up my original post. I bought the Nomar lever with no other accessories (except the included lubricants).

I'm happy with the purchase as i'm now able to change tires without worry of scratching my rims. However, i wasn't able to mount the tires completely using the Nomar lever. Using rim savers, tire irons and their lube paste, the last bit of each tire was easily levered on.

I think the Mojolever might be better in this regard. One of the two mounting 'nubs' on the Nomar lever seemed to pull the tire bead away from the rim instead of pushing the tire over the rim. I tried holding the lever at different angles, but nothing worked. The Mojolever looks like it would just push the bead over the rim without pulling it away from the rim.

BTW, i mounted 2 Storms and installed the aluminum 90 degree valve stems. Each wheel needed about an ounce of weight right at the stem. I didn't try rotating the tire to get a better balance.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
From the early feedback on this thread and looking at how substantial the NoMar lever looked, I purchased one.

I just put a pair of SV tires on and have to say the two fat plastic pieces on the NoMar lever pull the tire away from the rim far enough to make it d*mn hard to get the tires on the rim with the lever. I just made it by the skin of my butt, and the pressure was very high. Yes the tire was down in the center valley properly. The fat double plastic pieces take up a lot of room that would otherwise be used to be sliding the tire over the rim, making them have to stretch more than normal.

If the MoJo lever had (has) a lip to keep it hunkered down inside the rim the way the no mar does, I think it's thin shape would be superior for getting the tires on. The NoMar gets them off truly great :) but I bought it to get them on. I'm not willing to spend more $ so I'll deal with it, as it's still slightly better than the harbor freight lever with a plastic bottle zip tied to the end. That's mainly because of the NoMar lip on the plastic that helps hold the plastic down inside the rim rather than riding up though.

Gregj, in your post above, you were about to double-check on the exact size of your wooden blocks, "about 2x3x1/4". I have a No-mar "yellow thing", but its' size did not seem very compatible with the rear ST1300 wheel when I attempted to use it for keeping the tire in the rim well. So, I'd like to cut some wood blocks like your's & use those for holding the tire in the rim well. Did your's measure 2x3x1/4? Thanks!

Top Bottom