More down the road lighting wanted, any advice on brands or location on the bike?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
putting this thread on ignore.
As well you should. You've totally ignored the statement I quoted (which wasn't about adding lights but the basic function of suspension) when I made the analogy and apparently applied it elsewhere. That's your problem not mine. Good luck with that.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
As well you should. You've totally ignored the statement I quoted (which wasn't about adding lights but the basic function of suspension) when I made the analogy and apparently applied it elsewhere. That's your problem not mine. Good luck with that.
You back track and contradict yourself. There's a thread going on about engine heat. Perhaps you can join in and talk about cars.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You back track and contradict yourself.
You again. You're trying to m
ake this something other than what it is.

There's a thread going on about engine heat. Perhaps you can join in and talk about cars.
That's for the invite. If it weren't for the futility of the subject matter and I felt it appropriate - sure. But if you can't see the parallel of the analogy that's not my problem.

And I really don't care if you're offended by my mention of cars on in a motorcycle forum. Again, your problem not mine.

There are times I've been embarrassed to own a BMW. The consolation is that the F800GT isn't a "boxer", so isn't really a BMW. On the BMW MOA forum, one of the women owners replied when someone asked about riding apparel that only Klim and Aerostitch was worth considering. I wonder if she buys her Klim gear at Nordstroms?

Another BMW owner replied in a thread about the final drive failures about how that is part of the BMW experience. That we should all feel great about having highly trained and well paid BMW certified mechanics work on our bikes. And if you can't afford it...you don't deserve to own a BMW.

So that's the mindset of some BMW owners in buying the right accessories, like the Clearwater lights.

Chris
I will say that I own a Klim jacket that cost me about $350. I have owned a number of brands - Joe Rocket, Reax (which is sold at Cycle Gear). I really like my Klim jacket.... I wish I had bought it first and I wouldnt have wasted my money on the others which I no longer wear.....

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I will say that I own a Klim jacket that cost me about $350.
Don't own any Klim gear, but $350 for a quality jacket is not unacceptable. When you go down and the jacket us what separates you from debride treatments at the hospital, of that $350, I bet you ask for no change.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
If $540 is a bit stiff for your wallet, try advmonster's lights. They cost $80 for a pair (no need for their stronger mounting bracket). I've put them on two bikes and two guys in our BMW club have also bought them.
+1 for advmonster! I put a pair of model 60s linked to the bluetooth module (sets whatever dimness I want on low beam and full brightness on high) last year and they are bright! I once had someone flash their high beams at me from across an intersection because, I guess, they found the light too bright. Another time a lady, at a red light in front of me, kept her hand in front of her rearview mirror until the light changed. Both of these incidents happened under a clear midday sun!

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
The Twisted Throttle rep tried to say that lumens aren't a good comparison from one light to another.
I don't think he's entirely wrong. The way I understand it, and I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lumens only measure the brightness of whatever is producing the light. The actual light you use(?), is measured in candles. So to measure the light given off from a single light bulb (or candel), you use lumens. If you focus that light, say with a concave mirror like a flash light, you use candles. In both cases the lumens are the same but the latter case gives you more useable light and will appear brighter (more candles).

That being said, since all(most?) lights use similar mirrors, I'd call bullsh*t as well. :p

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I once had someone flash their high beams at me from across an intersection because, I guess, they found the light too bright. Another time a lady, at a red light in front of me, kept her hand in front of her rearview mirror until the light changed. Both of these incidents happened under a clear midday sun!
Using non DOT approved lights, (that also have no cut-off beam focusing and are labeled off-road use only) on the public roads and people were annoyed.

WOW! I'm so F'ing impressed!!

Congratulations,, here's your sign... :box1:

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
+1 for advmonster! I put a pair of model 60s linked to the bluetooth module (sets whatever dimness I want on low beam and full brightness on high) last year and they are bright! I once had someone flash their high beams at me from across an intersection because, I guess, they found the light too bright. Another time a lady, at a red light in front of me, kept her hand in front of her rearview mirror until the light changed. Both of these incidents happened under a clear midday sun!
That indicates, to me at least, that the lights are aimed incorrectly. If the lights were a glare in a rear view mirror then they are most likely aimed too high. The lights should be lowered and aimed so as to not blind oncoming traffic. I'm not so sure that blinding the person that is steering the 4,000 pound projectile that is heading towards you is such a good idea.

But that's just me, what do I know? :shrug2:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I will say that I own a Klim jacket that cost me about $350. I have owned a number of brands - Joe Rocket, Reax (which is sold at Cycle Gear). I really like my Klim jacket.... I wish I had bought it first and I wouldnt have wasted my money on the others which I no longer wear.....
It wasn't just that she "recommended" Klim gear...it was that it was the only sensible choice that any self-respecting BMW owner would be caught wearing. Nothing else was worth considering. You could picture her saying this with her nose up in the air.

Chris

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The OP wanted a light that would give him "down the road light" the model 60 is a 30 degree light so it will not go as far as a 10 degree light. Now it is a good light for what it does. It is 28 watts so it is the same as the RUN-D and the 40 watt driving lights.......

I just retested the RUN-D light and it is more of a flood than a spot and it measures 28 watts instead of the 35 watts advertised. I also got the new 40 watt spot and driving lights that I had posted in #42 above. They both run at 28 watts. The driving light is like the RUN-D with a wide beam pattern.

But the 40 watt spot is a nice tight spot and really does put a lot of light down the road with less close in glare. I will just go with a pair of the "40 watt" spots to go with the F2 high beam...... I might have to wear sun glasses......... :cool:.....

Using non DOT approved lights, (that also have no cut-off beam focusing and are labeled off-road use only) on the public roads and people were annoyed.
High beams have no cut off, so the DOT glare does not apply. He is also using them during the day time for "see me lighting"....
Again do not use this kind of lighting at night in traffic.
The F2's with it's excellent cut off, I very seldom use AUX lighting.....

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Look at the prices today...they are double that for their mid-range gear. And they don't even come with a liner of any sort. You get the outer shell, and that's it.

It is worth it for any of us to look at our needs and buy what fits those needs. If Klim does it, great. But the way this woman totally dismissed Firstgear, Olympia, and others like they were trash, was totally unreasonable.

Chris

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
High beams have no cut off, so the DOT glare does not apply. He is also using them during the day time for "see me lighting"....
Where in the FMVSS or any state regulation does it specify that someone can run whatever they like regardless of others during daytime?

Last I looked rules on high-beams and DOT approved lighting apply 24x7.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't think he's entirely wrong. The way I understand it, and I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lumens only measure the brightness of whatever is producing the light. The actual light you use(?), is measured in candles. So to measure the light given off from a single light bulb (or candel), you use lumens. If you focus that light, say with a concave mirror like a flash light, you use candles. In both cases the lumens are the same but the latter case gives you more useable light and will appear brighter (more candles).

That being said, since all(most?) lights use similar mirrors, I'd call bullsh*t as well. :p
It's more about usable light vs lumens/candlepower/lux. You can have something that pukes light out but if it doesn't go where you want it it's not really any good. Think of the difference between good fog and driving lights, let's pick Hella's with incandescent bulbs. Still the same power for each of them, different beam pattern for a different purpose. Throw that same bulb in a cheap crappy light and you get nothing usable except using the light as a beacon.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Where in the FMVSS or any state regulation does it specify that someone can run whatever they like regardless of others during daytime?
I don't see the excerpt you're citing as implying that anything goes. The FMVSS mainly covers required equipment and standards for same while state laws cover additional equipment requirements and use of same. I think. :)

The CVC provides equipment requirements and regulations for their use. Off road lights are required to be covered when on public roads. Nobody bothers with that. Authorized supplemental lights have the requirement of specific mounting and aiming and of not blinding other drivers with no specificity to day or night. But I don't know that we have any specific laws regarding daytime operation of high beams that would otherwise be illegal at night. I'm sure there must be some code section that would cover impairing another driver even if headlights weren't specified.

Or there may be case law that uses one of the equipment code sections to cover that. Not that it's ok but I think legal properly aimed headlights on high beam during the day aren't nearly as annoying as the myriad of additional questionable lights put on vehicles.

Ultimately while our additional lights may or may not be legal using them with common sense mitigates most all if not all problems with other drivers.

One thing to consider- since a lot of the aux/spot lights people choose cast a circular beam on a wall and exhibit no cutoff of the upper portion aiming them for daytime and night time use isn't really an option.

Aiming spot lights so the top of the 'circle' doesn't blind other traffic (day or night) means at night there will be a brilliant pool of light very close to the front of the bike. I'd say it's then possible to overdrive the light while seeing or because of seeing a lot of white light reflected up close and personal. Switch off those lights for oncoming traffic might mean your pupils are constricted and need time to dilate to get some semblance of night vision back. Suddenly dark becomes darker than dark. So selecting/aiming/using lights properly is the responsibility of the driver/rider.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know how I've made it riding for years with hi beams and under mirror lights on during the day without a blinded car running me over?

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
That indicates, to me at least, that the lights are aimed incorrectly. If the lights were a glare in a rear view mirror then they are most likely aimed too high. The lights should be lowered and aimed so as to not blind oncoming traffic. I'm not so sure that blinding the person that is steering the 4,000 pound projectile that is heading towards you is such a good idea.

But that's just me, what do I know? :shrug2:
Again, daytime with the beams at full strength. The dimmed/low-beam setting at night has given me no issues.

They are mounted at the level of the front fender reflectors and do point at a downwards angle (as noted by the beam pattern projected on my garage door). For the beams to be pointed at persons face they would, likely have to be pointed up. In fact, I have to be practically on my stomach at 50 feet away to get the full effect.

You can suggest that they appear bright because of their angle, but I guarantee you that the autozone lamps I had mounted at the same spot prior would have never solicited a similar response. My point is that they are bright no matter which way you point them.

Aiming spot lights so the top of the 'circle' doesn't blind other traffic (day or night) means at night there will be a brilliant pool of light very close to the front of the bike. I'd say it's then possible to overdrive the light while seeing or because of seeing a lot of white light reflected up close and personal. Switch off those lights for oncoming traffic might mean your pupils are constricted and need time to dilate to get some semblance of night vision back. Suddenly dark becomes darker than dark. So selecting/aiming/using lights properly is the responsibility of the driver/rider.
Agreed. As I said, I have a Hi/Low beam option. My lights are pointed in such a way that low-beam setting does not blind oncoming drivers whereas the hi-beam setting helps me see farther. Should I want/need to see farther down the road with my high beams, then I will consider having it simply turn off during low beam (a slider on the app) so I can aim the lamps higher.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles

WOW! I'm so F'ing impressed!!

Congratulations,, here's your sign... :box1:
Not doing it to annoy people. Just saying they are bright. Pathblazer pulsating head lights are DOT approved and many people find them annoying. Perhaps you should give Pathblazer owners your signs as well.

Look at the prices today...they are double that for their mid-range gear. And they don't even come with a liner of any sort. You get the outer shell, and that's it.

It is worth it for any of us to look at our needs and buy what fits those needs. If Klim does it, great. But the way this woman totally dismissed Firstgear, Olympia, and others like they were trash, was totally unreasonable.

Chris
I have owned FirstGear stuff - never Oympia - never. There are some good brands out there. Mine has D30 elbows and a nice D30 back protector for around $350 - I dont remember the exact price.

Top Bottom