Motion Sensor Helmet Brake Light

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'd rather have a really good brake light on the bike (which I do) than a helmet-mounted light. One of my concerns would be that a following vehicle may not even understand what they're seeing, especially if I were to swivel my head while braking.

The best thing that I can do to avoid getting rear-ended is to keep a substantial following distance to the vehicle ahead. That way, if they should slow/stop unexpectedly, my own deceleration gives ample time to vehicles behind me.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspect that the number of bikers that get rear-ended is a really small percentage of bike related accidents.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd rather have a really good brake light on the bike (which I do) than a helmet-mounted light. One of my concerns would be that a following vehicle may not even understand what they're seeing, especially if I were to swivel my head while braking.
It's not an either or situation. I infer you've added a brake light to the ST as its factory brake lights are just OK not to mention its anemic tail lights. As for a driver not understanding what it is I imagine you could concoct a situation where a driver would see the a helmet brake light for the first time without seeing the bike's brake light and some how that ends in disaster.

Otherwise I'd bet someone following this setup and seeing the helmet light and bike's brake light act in concert would quickly surmise the purpose of the helmet light.

Yes there will be the odd driver who doesn't get it but it's highly unlikely they will assume it must really be green and it means they should accelerate into you while ignoring the bike's distance closing and eventually its brake light(s).

ddemair said:
The best thing that I can do to avoid getting rear-ended is to keep a substantial following distance to the vehicle ahead. That way, if they should slow/stop unexpectedly, my own deceleration gives ample time to vehicles behind me.
A sound plan but contingent upon the vehicle behind you doing the same thing.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspect that the number of bikers that get rear-ended is a really small percentage of bike related accidents.
That may be true and if so- never having been struct from behind I can take some comfort in that. For those that have- not so much.

But it is all about risk assessment. I won't be getting a helmet light but I do like the idea of a separate dedicated brake light controlled by the STS SBM or similar. I'm not one of the seasoned members who always tap the brake lights when rolling off throttle.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
One of our former vendors, Tim from Two Brothers Tires, was run over from behind and shoved under a stopped school bus that had all it's lights flashing. Some drivers just don't pay attention to anything.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
You are correct. I don’t think it’s in the top 10. I am quite certain that over 40% are caused by someone turning left either from a road to your right or across your path from the opposite lane.

Greg

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Top Bottom