Motohorn Dual Track install - ST1300

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I was able to fit them both on the clutch side under the upper cowl. The low tone was mounted parallel to the headlight and the high tone was mounted inline with the bike in the void where the "speaker" would be under the upper cowl.

The high horn is attached on "Fastener 15" of the upper cowl. The low horn is attached on "Fastener 13" of the headlight. Both mounting brackets that came with the horns had to be bent to allow the cowl to mount properly, The image highlighted in red shows the position of the "low" horn, as I didn't get a great picture of it in situ before I mounted the "high" horn.

As to wiring, I just put them all in parallel to the factory horn with no relay. So all 3 sound when you hit the button. They aren't full blast at idle, but work fine with any additional RPM and seem to get attention when sounded! :D

.High Horn attachment point.jpgLow Horn attachment point.jpgClutch Side 1.jpgClutch Side 2.jpgCluch side 3.jpgClutch side 4.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
With 3 horns on the stock wiring you may end up blowing a fuse, or not get enough current to make all horns sound at full volume.
Or weld the contact in the switch-pod shut (imagine the hectic... ;) )
Those draw a lot of juice... hence need a feed of remarkably gauge directly from the battery with an inline fuse, activated by a (reliable) relay which' coil is connected parallel to the OEM horn...
So should anything in your DIY setup fail, the OEM beeper still works perfectly... redundancy given, fail-safe...

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Josh_ST

Josh_ST

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I'll be adding a relay when I add the relays for the trailer wiring harness. Fabricating a circuit board that will have 4 relays on it, 1 for the horn and 3 for the trailer (Brakes, L&R signals)

OP
OP
Josh_ST

Josh_ST

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
If I hadn't already sourced the parts, that's probably half of what I spent too roll my own!o_O

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, when I replaced the horns on my ST1100s, I used the 'hot' switch wire to fire the relay.
I also ran the horns through my BlueSea Fuseblock and they work fine.
I've got several aux relays on my ST1100s to do various things.
I just bought the 'standard' cube ones and taped them together with gaffer tape.
They live in the tailpiece behind the BlueSea Fuseblock - out of the weather and easy to get to.

Top Bottom