Motorcycle Cruise Control:

Bike
ST 1300 Honda
The cruise control on my ST is made in Australia. (A place called Box Hill in Victoria to be precise). I bought my ST with the CC already fitted, and wasn't working when I purchased it. I didn't know much about them at all, but soon found the control computer with the place of manufacture, phone numbers etc. Anyway, it turns out that they were only about 10 miles from where I lived, and they operate from a little old house with a big shed in the back yard. I visited them, they were all over the bike with their diagnostic gear, oscilloscopes etc, and I was incredibly impressed. The updated the switch control and a few other bits and it worked fine when I left… they charged me about Au$110… The amazing gear they had in their shed, brackets, wiring harnesses, plate benders for various brackets etc, I was impressed… these guys really know their stuff…

My Cruise Control worked for a while after that, perhaps three months and stopped working again… I didn't bother repairing it again as I wasn't riding my bike much at that time. However, the last couple of weeks I've been playing with it again, and found that the sensor on the rear disc was too close and the disc was actually shaving the sensor away, and when I tested the sensor with a multimeter, found it was open circuit. So, I sent for another sensor, (Au$35) replaced it and it was still not working… On saturday decided to look further into it, Motorcycle Cruise Control had sent me all the Troubleshooting info, and I did various tests… all which revealed nothing… all resistances were within spec. Then I was checking out the actuator and discovered that the Vacuum hose where it fits on to the throttle body was split right open… I replaced the hose with a piece I already had, balanced the starter valves while I was there, and she is purring once again… I can't believe I didn't pick up the fault earlier, but at least I'm happy once again…

But if anyone is contemplating a Cruise Control for their ST, I can't recommend these guys highly enough… They returned every phone call I made to them within a couple of hours, and they were really concerned that my CC wasn't working… I took her for a ride yesterday, and probably the best ride I have had in a long time, despite the rain I went through…

If anyone wants pics or details of my cruise control, please let me know… , Sass

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I would buy one of their cruise controls tomorrow if I could find someone to install it. I can do some things on my 1300 but cruise control installation is not one of them. I keep looking to see if someone local has one installed but I haven't seen many STs in my area so far. I am going to keep looking.
If there is someone in my area who has install skills and wants to make a few dollars, let me know. I even have an air conditioned garage that you can use for the install.

I would buy one of their cruise controls tomorrow if I could find someone to install it. I can do some things on my 1300 but cruise control installation is not one of them. I keep looking to see if someone local has one installed but I haven't seen many STs in my area so far. I am going to keep looking.
If there is someone in my area who has install skills and wants to make a few dollars, let me know. I even have an air conditioned garage that you can use for the install.

You up for a road trip up to MN? I have done a few cruise controls.

Just a note - the instructions that they provide with the unit are extremely detailed with pictures and everything you will need - down to tie wraps - are included in the box. If you don't get in a hurry and can follow instructions, you could probably do it yourself (not that I want to knock Sennister out of a job. ;-)) I've done three of them on my ST1100s. And if you get stuck, you can email them and they will respond. I did that on my first install and about 3 hours later my phone rang with a pleasant Australian voice on the other end ... :D

Just a note - the instructions that they provide with the unit are extremely detailed with pictures and everything you will need - down to tie wraps - are included in the box. If you don't get in a hurry and can follow instructions, you could probably do it yourself (not that I want to knock Sennister out of a job. ;-)) I've done three of them on my ST1100s. And if you get stuck, you can email them and they will respond. I did that on my first install and about 3 hours later my phone rang with a pleasant Australian voice on the other end ... :D

Hey if he wants to do a road trip I would help. While I have never done one of their kits from what I have seen they are way easier than the Audivox setups that I have installed two of. The kits that they sell are specific to the bike you have. So like you said just step through it and take your time and it would go just fine. With the Audiovox I was having to fabricate brackets and all kinds of stuff as I went. Not the case with these. The difference is that you pay for the convenience. I think I have about $300-350 in my Audiovox setup all said and done. These run what, $1000 last I looked. Somewhere in that range. They are nice though.

Fortunately when I bought mine they were about $500 USD which made it an almost no brainer. The real gem of their unit is the CIU - Cable Interface Unit - that easily solves the bell crank 'challenge' on the ST1100s! ;-)

Fortunately when I bought mine they were about $500 USD which made it an almost no brainer. The real gem of their unit is the CIU - Cable Interface Unit - that easily solves the bell crank 'challenge' on the ST1100s! ;-)

I wasn't far off. I just looked out of curiosity.

1300 - $922.72
1100 - $885.20

Not sure if that is shipped or not. I agree that if they were closer to $500 I might have gone this route. But when I could go the other option for $350 or so all said and done. It is hard to justify the additional cost unless you don't have the skill set or equipment to do a bit of fabrication on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom