Motorcycle in commercial

Bike
BMW R1200RT
Just curious if anyone has any idea of the make and model of the motorcycle in this commercial.

Sounds like an inline 4 as it accelerates away and the front headlight, quarter fairing and small windscreen makes me think of maybe a Suzuki Bandit?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Interesting commercial and driving conditions – either the driver wasn't paying any attention and drifting into the adjacent lane or he was making a lane change without a shoulder check or turn signal.

But the pillion's wearing a 3/4 helmet with no face or eye protection. Nobody is wearing hi-viz. If she's going to knock on a window it should be done while holding a spring-loaded center punch. And the rider waved with way too many fingers. :rofl1:

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
She must be the riders "guardian angel"= no eyewear required!
The biggest beef should be with passing on the right!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I don't know for sure but I would hope that that is not considered illegally passing on the right. I thought passing on the right was illegal if you change lanes to do it. If you were already to the right of another vehicle and you happen to be going faster than they are and overtake them isn't that just traveling in your lane?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't know for sure but I would hope that that is not considered illegally passing on the right.
Looked it up in Missouri law last week from a co-worker discussion. Nothing in our state written to outlaw passing on the right. It does state that after passing the car should return to the right lane after completion, so it implies passing to the left, but never says passing to the right is illegal.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If everyone kept right, passed, and returned right, it should theoretically be impossible to ever pass on the right.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
If, we were to get super critical of riding technique the rider was in the car's blind spot too long. Also, he was positioned incorrectly in order to be visible to cars turning left across the lanes (oncoming). This all would have been resolved had the rider simply passed the vehicle (left or right) and put himself ahead of the vehicle to be in the driver's view and yet, close enough to the car in motion that he isn't at risk of a left turning vehicle.

Following a vehicle on the right can lead to getting t-boned from a left turning vehicle that's pacing the car's rear bumper and has no knowledge of the rider being in that same area. This is super dangerous and easily resolved.

As for 3/4 helmets, that is my preferred helmet. Even after I crossed two lanes of the 405, on my head, wearing a full-face helmet that took the beating so I didn't have to I still go back to the 3/4. Easier to smoke a cigar when riding.

Protective eyewear is very important whether you're a human or not.

As mentioned above the woman isn't on the bike after the interaction with the motorist so she's not in any real danger because you cannot prove she even exists in this plane of reality.

As you were,

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't know for sure but I would hope that that is not considered illegally passing on the right. I thought passing on the right was illegal if you change lanes to do it. If you were already to the right of another vehicle and you happen to be going faster than they are and overtake them isn't that just traveling in your lane?
This seems like one of those urban legends. In CA there's no law that specifies how you pass another vehicle while traveling on a multi-lane highway, but maybe it varies by state/province.

CVC 21754 The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby said:
This seems like one of those urban legends. In CA there's no law that specifies how you pass another vehicle while traveling on a multi-lane highway,
+1 on urban legend. I've heard this ever since I was a wee lad. The people who said this were also the ones who'd say it was illegal to drive without shoes.

I remember people referring to using the shoulder of the road (sometimes illegal sometimes not) as passing on the right. In some states (?) and some countries the left is by statute reserved for passing. So maybe this comes from passing somebody in the passing lane.

Geez did this thread get sideways quick
Sorry. :biggrin: I figured that would happen. :rofl1:

Top Bottom