Motorcycle Riders - You're Leaning the Wrong Way

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You antesipate the turn and move your body into the turn first and then pull the motorcycle over to match up with your body position.
I prefer to "anticipate" turns, myself. ;)

As for " ... then pull the motorcycle over ... ", I recommend reading up on counter-steering.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I prefer to "anticipate" turns, myself. ;)

As for " ... then pull the motorcycle over ... ", I recommend reading up on counter-steering.
My take on what he meant was that he leans first, then leans the bike next. There is no other way to lean a bike (at speed) without using counter-steering whether we're aware of it or not.

And I do what he does. On the ST1300, leaning first (with enough foreknowledge of the upcoming turn) helps to see past the windshield if it happens to be in the raised position.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Both Fortnine and MCRider always have good videos.
Fortnine has some of the best production anywhere!
I do think people forget that pushing their limits does not belong on the street.
I always cringe when I see the typical squid racing thru traffic or popping wheelies.
"There's no trees on a racetrack" (I'm paraphrasing MCRIder)

I agree that riding with reckless abandon on the streets is irresponsible and selfish. However the term (limits ) is relative and a newbie rider going the speed limit in the twisties could be (pushing their limits ) not trying to be annoyingly disagreeable or splitting hairs. I just don't want to discourage riders from honing their skills or increasing confidence by pushing their limits while street riding. We don't all necessarily need track time to do this. Again I know exactly what you mean just clarifying for some that may not.

Top Bottom