Mounting a GPS on a ST1100....

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Garmin 2730 to my ST1100.

I'm thinking about either a dash shelf or a RAM handlebar mount

If you use a dash shelf...what kind of mount/cradle do you use?

I want to mount the GPS without cutting the handlebar garnish.

I already bought a RAM brake/clutch mount...but am weighing my options.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Beside its reliability, the SP 27** series is known for one thing: being a heavy brick... ;-)
Providing a sturdy mount for a 93lbs cuboid on/around the dash fairing, with or without utilizing dash shelf, might be tricky...

Over here riders often chose the top of the handlebar-covers as convenient location.
Clamping a RAM-yoke on the h/bar tube right between the original mounts on the upper triple-clamp, creating an appropriate opening through the centrepiece of the plastics (where that Honda logo is placed) and then another RAM-cradle to hold the unit seemed the most solid way of installation, while providing the compromise of not conflicting with a tank-bag nor with operating the key in the ignition-lock.
Routing the cables for on-board power supply and audio-out out of sight along the switch harness and inside the handlebar-covers gives it a neat finish.
Another ingenious way, suitable on post '96 ST's was an L/V-shaped stainless steel sheet, fixed onto the top surface of the handlebar-cover by 4 well nuts (as used on windscreen/garnish), and the cradle bolted to the other leg. Wiring hidden underneath/inside gave again a neat appearance, nut as sturdy as the RAM-joke on the steel bar, but still...

I've seen installations on dash-shelves, but due the lack of internal structures combined with the weight added, the unit will start to swing/vibrate, making it difficult to read and may cause internal damages/contact issues on the long run...

I also wouldn't place such a device on the handlebar, its probably obstructing safe operation of the bike plus it sits very exposed up there, not only to the elements, but to getting smashed during a tip over (which I'd once observed happening to a 550, getting shattered on the upper edge of a trunk-lid during a tip-over happening in a parking spot... screen cracked, housing abraded, pieces of the cradle all over the place... not an ST though...)

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Jimbo, I have used the same series Garmin on my 1100s since '04. Until my most recent purchase, I mounted the gps on a shelf....I used the adhesive oval base to mount it in the center of the shelf. The only issue I ever had, was that the gps would sometimes tilt on rough roads or at high speed. This was a simple fix.....I put a piece of electrical tape from the top edge of the gps & ran it down onto the tilting piece. My latest bike has helibars & I have a ram mount in the center of them. I also have a couple of extra handlebar covers.....if you wanted to modify one to fit a ram mount. I have seen them mounted in the vicinity of the clutch reservoir, but I didn't particularly like the way it looked....maybe a smaller unit, but not the 27xx brick.

John

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
A round based ramball was mounted onto the dash as can be seen - Note the thick rubber cushion between dash and RAMball base.
View attachment 150477
Interestingly I came up with a similar system & location for my tiny Quest-I:

IMG_1401 6x4.jpg

Note the small aluminium bracket, supporting the cradle to the LHS, preventing movement on rough roads.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use a couple reservoir cover mounts and they work great. They also won't interfere with anything on an 1100.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/reservoir-cover-mount-with-side-ball

You can also get center ball instead:

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/reservoir-cover-mount-with-center-ball

Mount with a short arm and adjust to where convenient. For holding the GPS, most car mounts are very insecure and could fail with the vibrations and bumps of a bike. I use this one and love it:

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/garmin-streetpilot-2000-series-holder

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Hi, I'm kind of late with suggestions, but here goes.

I removed the handlebar cover because I hated the looks, plus I was planing to install risers, which I have done. That left me with two (2) spare top clamps.

I drilled and tapped a thread in one top clamp to accept the Ram ball. Then mounted the two top clamps to sandwich the middle of the bar. Then the Ram arm, then the Ram cradle for my GPS (Garmin Nuvi255). See attached pics.

Attachments

Bike
99 ST1100
I used the reservoir cover with the ram ball mount. It worked great, was visible but not in the way. And was very simple to install.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
On my 1100 I had an aftermarket dash shelf on it. I simply bolted a RAM ball to it and used the proper RAM mount for the GPS I was using at the time. I mounted it dead center on the dash shelf. This put the GPS pretty much right in my line of site when I wanted to look at it.

i started out simply bolting the Ram ball to my plastic dash frame. it was good enough for the fairly lightweight GPS I had at the time. but feeling the need for a bigger display and along with that the weight got too much for the plastic to support. i had a s.s. shelf waiting to be installed so at the same time, I mounted the ball in the center of that. as SCHLEP described! over the years i have noticed that the 1" balls were allowing the adjustment to move( my preferred GPS position is straight back on a short arm)...this year I have bought new 1.5"Ram balls n arm and will change over in a week or three.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Hi, I'm kind of late with suggestions, but here goes.

I removed the handlebar cover because I hated the looks, plus I was planing to install risers, which I have done. That left me with two (2) spare top clamps.

I drilled and tapped a thread in one top clamp to accept the Ram ball. Then mounted the two top clamps to sandwich the middle of the bar. Then the Ram arm, then the Ram cradle for my GPS (Garmin Nuvi255). See attached pics.
Same set up here. Though the thought of having it up on a shelf is sounding real good. I would prefer to get it out from in front of the gauges. But it works just fine where it is too.

OP
OP
Gymbo

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Here are the GPS mounts I've had on the two ST1100's I've had a GPS mounted. I like the central positioning. I have the RAM cradle for my 2730 and I am leaning toward a RAM ball in the center of a dash shelf with the short RAM arm.

My 1996 ABS - Garmin mount on Heli-Bars
96gps.jpg

My 1992 with Heli-Bars and a Ram U-Clamp mount
92gps.jpg

Bike
Vstrom 650
Have you have any issues with water affecting the electrics with the plastic bar cover removed?

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Have you have any issues with water affecting the electrics with the plastic bar cover removed?
I haven't experienced any problems yet. The only issue is when it rains, I have to put a Zip-Lock bag over the GPS and secure it to the mount.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I've had the same setup on two different ST1100's and now on my VSTrom.

Dash shelf, Dick Seng mounting bracket, and to that, the Garmin clamp mount. Best setup I've found, no vibration or damage, service thru hundreds of thousands of miles. Also, the dash shelf, being steel, leaves room and a place to mount the magnetic XM receiver puck. I used pieces of double-backed Very High Bond tape between the Seng bracket and the shelf, to give a little extra cushion. It's also thru-bolted, probably not necessary with the VHB tape, but makes it totally secure.

Ya, I know it needs a bath. :D

http://www.st-riders.net/pics/donfiles/mount1.jpg

http://www.st-riders.net/pics/donfiles/mount2.jpg

OP
OP
Gymbo

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I just finished installing my GPS on a RAM ball attached to a dash shelf. I like how it turned out and I really like the position of the GPS.

In the mean time, I picked up a used Garmin 2610...I like the speedometer/odometer page better on the 2610 than the 2730.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gymbo

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Here's how I ended up mounting my GPS. The wiring is temporary, I'll make it a little more tidy later.

From where I sit on the bike, the bottom edge is the GPS is just above of the instrument panel.

I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Garmin 2730 to my ST1100.

I'm thinking about either a dash shelf or a RAM handlebar mount

If you use a dash shelf...what kind of mount/cradle do you use?

I want to mount the GPS without cutting the handlebar garnish.

I already bought a RAM brake/clutch mount...but am weighing my options.

Thanks!
Have a decent answer to this yet, its just what I want to do?

Yea, not a bad idea.
I have a Garmin zumo 550 with a fair few fixings but what I really would like is a fixing central on the dash but I'm guessing it's going to be a bit of a ball ache

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1675895512521.png

This is where I put my Ramball mount. It on the screen side of the joint in the grey fairing panels. it is mounted on a thick rubber sheet. Underneath the fairing panel is another thick rubber sheet and a cut shape of aluminium sheet. Everything is bolted through with 3 bolts and nyloc nuts. It involves drilling 3 holes in the fairing, shelf, but I sold the bike like this. It wasn't a problem.

Getting the position correct for the satnav to be visible, without vibration knocking it against the screen took a little time. But it remained firmly placed, did not vibrate when I used a short ram ball extension, and it remains protected from raindrops on the screen. Ive used the same arrangement on both of my ST1300s.

Having it offset to the left is a better location than in front, I think. It doesn't distract, but it is high up so it only requires a brief glance. It also makes it easier for my pillion to see.

I have other photos - I'll see if I can find them on my PC.

Yes - here looking from the nose of the bike with the screen and front nose cowl removed. You can see the bolts, the rubber cushion and the alumnium plate. The bottom rubber layer is there, but the angle is obscuring it. Oh - not Nyloc nuts. Just a second nut acting as a lock nut.

1675897891389.jpeg

And here , the rear of the cradle for my Zumo 550 that was fitted at the time.

1675898066944.jpeg

And in position after repalcing the panel and the screen. In fact I never rode with it in this position - it obscured the dash. It was located more to the left hand side.

1675898160010.png

I don't have a photo of that, but here is a similar arrangement that I used on my first 1300 with a Zumo 660, tucked undert he screen and to the left.

1675898374090.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom