Mounting & Balancing Tires

Does any one here use an afordable wheel balancer. And where can I get one? As well as those funny looking weights that fit the ST rims

I am tired of paying to have mine done at a shop.

We all buy our tires on line to save money and end up spending more to get them mounted and balanced

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I made my balancer from a 1/2" diameter shaft and 2 small bearings. It's accurate to 1/100th of an ounce. I use bushings to fit the different size bearings between models. The wheel weights - center rib clip on style - I have accumulated from the different bikes I balance tires on. If you mount the tires properly, less weight is needed, so they accumulate. Otherwise I use the stick on weights I get from NAPA. You don't live far from me, your welcome to see the setup if you like - PM me.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
scrmpyjack said:
Does any one here use an afordable wheel balancer. And where can I get one? As well as those funny looking weights that fit the ST rims

I am tired of paying to have mine done at a shop.

We all buy our tires on line to save money and end up spending more to get them mounted and balanced

I found the Marc Parnes balancer to be very good and affordable. I don't think you could buy better for more money.

The weights can be purchased from your Honda dealer. The problem with those is the sizes they come in and the limited locations on the wheels. Stick-on weights are a better way to go for accuracy. You can buy them with the balancer.

Ray

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I bought a set of unsealed/unlubed roller bearings locally, fabed a stand from 2x4 lumber and used the rear axle for both wheels. I rotate the heavy spot to the top, add small amounts of weight until the wheel does not fall to the bottom from the 9 or 3 o'clock position. Hope this method is OK as this is my first attempt in wheel balance. I have new rubber and before doing this I was picking up some vibration at 80-90 MPH or so. I moved less weight up front about 6" and added more in back about the same distance. Haven't tested it at speed yet.

:04biker: ;)

Mongo

Man, WV
You might want to try the rotation method and mark the top of the tire (chalk/pen). Then start the tire again, if it stops at the same place add a weight to the top of the tire, roll her again, repeat until it never stops at the same spot.

OP
OP
scrmpyjack
Thanks Guys for all the information.

I will getting the Marc Parnes balancer and some weights from the Aerostich people.

I knew that I could depend on :bow1: you guys.

I will be the first to say it, You are never too old to learn something NEW

Mongo

Man, WV
If you haven't ordered from Aerostitch yet you might want to check out Marc's site that Ray posted. I did not know of this site as I ordered off of the stitch site some time back. Then when I needed to upgrade from the BMW cones to the ST, Bill gave me the number for Marc. Might save a few dollars cutting out the middle man. PS unless you are very picky you will not notice the stick on weights.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You could make one...
The bearings are rollerblade bearings (new).
The steel tee was scrap.
The bolts and nuts are from Home Depot.
The Jackstand still works for the cars...

Oh... I made 2 of them and I use the rod from the tire changer across the top of this unit.

Enjoy,
Mark

Attachments

Top Bottom