Mounting Location??

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I'm in the process of wiring up my XM Roady2....have installed the quartet harness and have purchased a Delphi cord and Xsoree Key from 2wheelinnovations. To this point, it's installed has been check for proper operation (YES!!)., but I have a question regarding the mounting location of the converter.

I was going to tie-wrap the converter unit and extra cables to the left-side fairing frame (just in front of the left side pocket), then run the connecting wire alongside the clutch hose, up my handlebars to the reservoir mounting bracket. But the instructions mention to mount it where it will get airflow as it gets pretty hot when operated.

Will it overheat in the location that I'm thinking of using? If so, where do most people mount their converter?

Last edited:

NewsMag

R.I.P. - 2022/08/23
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
That's the same location I put mine, and it gets plenty of airflow. I've had no issues with it, though others have. No idea if their problems were heat, vibration, or manufacturing related.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
And it's done!! My setup uses the Delphi cable from 2wheelinnovations to tie into the quartet harness (I use the red connector since I want a switched power supply). I mounted the power converter with tie wraps to the fairing stay just to the left of the headlight, then ran the power lead along the fairing brace to the handlebars, then inside of the clutch hose to the clutch reservoir. The Roady2 is mounted on a bracket bolted to the top of that reservoir. Audio is supplied via a pair of Phillips noise-cancelling earbuds that I purchased at Wal-Mart for $45. A short, 5-mile test ride shows everything to be in working order, volume level more than adequate (so I can turn it down!). Now, its a road filled with Channel 10 and Channel 44...how's that for diversity?

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Your title said "mounting location" and I'm thinking "uhhh - on the saddle? from the left side? facing forward..." :p

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
c'mon, that's a no brainer. Bent over the bike....in high heels! We'll see how long this post lasts! grin!!

Top Bottom