Mounting Machine or Tire Irons?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Time for my first set of replacement tires. My question is what is the preferred method of dismounting / mounting tires? I have seen videos of both the tire iron method and the machine (NoMar) methods used. The NoMar is nice and I am probably going to get one of there package deals. But... If I can save the $600 and just use the irons then I guess that would be the way to go. I've got room in the garage to mount a machine so that is not an issue. Any comments from both methods are appreciated. (The NoMar looks pretty cool though :D )

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
After recently seeing a No-Mar tire changer in person, it's a very nice way to go. Everything about it is well thought out, however you are paying for it.

The Harbor Freight tire changer is what I have. It does the trick as well for a fraction of the cost. It's not nearly as nice and well thought out as the No-Mar but does the job. I would consider upgrading if money was no object and/or I changed more than three sets of tires a year. Of course if either was the case, I would seriously consider a serious fully automatic machine.

Ray

Byron

STOC #
I went with the No-Mar and have never regretted it. I've changed out 5 sets of tires in less than a year of having it. 3 sets on my bike and the other 2 for friends.

OP
OP
esdinges
Bike
2006 ST1300
I went with the No-Mar and have never regretted it. I've changed out 5 sets of tires in less than a year of having it. 3 sets on my bike and the other 2 for friends.
WOW! Three sets in one year! You must be tearin' the roads up.

Did you get one of the kits or just the changer by itself? I am looking at the "Ultimate Package" or maybe the "Ultimate Package II" with the tire spoons and the large cone set for balancing the wheel. I'm not sure if the ST needs the big cones or not as I have never removed the wheel.

Bike
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Badgerman (Jeff in Mulvane) has one - and its' a heck of a nice bead breaker and holder for the wheels. Works good for removing tires too.

BUT, We both have to use tire irons to put the tires back on - the no mar bar just won't lever those Excedras (or Avons!) on. No worries - the no-mar irons are outstanding.

Takes maybe 30 minutes to pull the wheel, change the tire and so on. Longer if we do the detail work - moly, o-rings, general cleanup and maintenance, etc.

I'm a big fan of the No-Mar unit.

Will

All you need is a good set of tire irons, a bead breaker and a balancer. For a few sets a year, this is the simplest and least expensive way to go. In the "good old days" this is how we changed all tires. We would change 5 sets, 10 tires during road race tire tests in a day without a seconds thought. I do think the harbor freight system is a good value because it can break the bead and remove the tire at a fair cost. The draw back is that it takes up space and needs to be bolted to something to be effective. From the tooooooo many posts I have seen on this topic, DON'T OVER COMPLICATE IT!

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
All you need is a good set of tire irons, a bead breaker and a balancer. For a few sets a year, this is the simplest and least expensive way to go. In the "good old days" this is how we changed all tires. We would change 5 sets, 10 tires during road race tire tests in a day without a seconds thought. I do think the harbor freight system is a good value because it can break the bead and remove the tire at a fair cost. The draw back is that it takes up space and needs to be bolted to something to be effective. From the tooooooo many posts I have seen on this topic, DON'T OVER COMPLICATE IT!
Thats exactly what I did... A good set of irons, rim protectors, and a jig made from and old car wheel and some threaded rod to hold the wheel.Oh yeah and lots of slick stuff made from a recipe posted here.
I might have $50 invested in total and it can all be stored out of the way when not in use.

Byron

STOC #
I bought the Jr Pro, irons and receiver hitch adapter. It sits on the base till needed and then I use the receiver hitch of my truck because I can take it wherever I need to be. I made my own suspended balancer that I hang from the machine.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I have the same setup. But I can't get a tire on. :( How are you getting your tires on?

Tom, make sure the bead of both sides of the tire are in the valley of the wheel and use lots of lube. A c-clamp or something similar helps to get the beads in the valley of the wheel.

Ray

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The plastic rim savers only help while using tire irons.

Ray

Top Bottom