Mouse in air filter.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Mouse problems AGAIN!!!!

2014 chevy cruze vent air was weak so I pulled the cabin air filter. big mouse nest with acorns and hickory nuts. Of course when you pull the filter all the stuff on top falls into the squirrel cage AKA the blower fan. Have to remove every piece or fan imbalance will result.

ST1300 nest in my air filter, (new filter last fall of course) chewed on and ruined, had to order another. Nest in tail section behind ECM. Mouse STILL in there! trying to get him with out an escape. Finally removed taillight screws and bolts for rear rack to pull taillight to the rear and grab mouse with channel locks. One wire had insulation chewed on so I taped it up.

Getting these for ALL OVER! https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-mouse-killer-refillable-kid-and-dog-resistant-station-pack-of-8?cm_vc=IOPDP2

Mice really bad past winter...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't like poison because it does not kill immediately. The mouse has time to get into the walls, die and he will stink for a week or two - until he dries out (sounds like he was an alcoholic or druggie). I use standard cheap Victor mouse traps baited with peanut butter. If pets are a problem, I'd put a cardboard box over it, weight the box securely, and cut small holes in it for the mice.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Last winter I chopped up some Irish Spring soap (mentioned in someone's post in this string) and left it around both bikes with chunks in the tail section too ... So far this spring, no evidence of mice in either bike. ......

Bike
2004 ST1300
I had pink insulation come out of my ST1100 one spring after a hard start, I have also found nest building material in the air filter. Since then I have been spending $20 or so in the fall to feed them their last supper and seem to have no issues with the critters.

Gerhard

This is is what I found in mine a few months AFTER I bought it. Seems like the rodents were having a party in the prior owner's beautiful finished garage over the winter months.
I keep a liberal supply of TomCat bait in the storage building over the off season and have had no further issues since, but probably should cover the intake up under the fender just to be safe if any further evidence is seen. And, oddly enough, the fiberglass had no effect on running the engine. It made no difference after installing a new OEM type filter as to the way it ran or mileage. Seeds and other solid debris would probably be a much different matter!
IMG_0960.jpg

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I have four of these Intruder "The Better Mousetrap"s in my garage, against the walls, on each side of the doors. I bait them with peanut butter. I catch about a dozen mice a year and I assume that's as they enter as I find no nests, droppings, etc. in the garage. They're easy to empty, squeeze to drop the mouse into the garbage and reset the trap to open. Highly recommended over the wooden spring traps.

Not as fun.. but could it also just be the seeds are getting picked up and tossed backed by the front tire? I find acorns in my intake often and I don't think any critters are storing them there.
Acorns = chipmunks.

I am speaking from experience.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Just got both bikes ready this spring. Stored all winter without the seats installed. This worked no mouse nests, no chewed wiring from seats to tail section.
FZ07 was perfect.
ST1300 only had a few acorns, and slight chewing on the air filter. Already had 1/4 in. grating (hardware cloth?) that I used on my 2 Chevy Cruzes HVAC intakes to stop mice. Cut a piece and wedged it in the front of the snorkel of the airbox. Rode yesterday and no power problems so isn't blocking any intake air. If anything, bike runs better has GREAT power. It seems that snorkel with age shrinks and collapses inward. With the mesh inside pushing it open in all directions it's forced open wider. Ram air! :p:bk13:

Top Bottom