Moving company for motorcycles

Bike
2000 ST1100
Has anyone used a transport company to haul their bike(s) across the country for them? What was the cost? We will be moving from Michigan to eastern Washington state in early summer and I'm starting to look for possible transporters. I have an ST1100 and also a Yamaha WR250R to move. I thought about loading them in a UHaul truck since I have other gas powered items to move, plus some firearm related things that would not go with a moving company. I might be able to get away with a trailer for the other items if I can get a reasonable price for moving the bikes.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, A ST1100 fits easily into a UHaul 10 footer -

Uncle Phil - Newfoundland 2022 Day 05

So probably the next truck up in size would haul your other bike and lots of stuff.
You might could squeeze in the other bike in the 10 footer with a little planning.
Just beware of the 'ramp' issues and tie down options as some trucks come with them and some don't.
IIRC, it cost me about $1500 rental from Nova Scotia to Nashville - 1,800 miles or so plus gas (about 11mpg).

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Penske, U haul, Ryder, all rent one way trucks.
You may want to also check Enterprise and van rentals that do one way trips as well.

OP
OP
skinl19
Bike
2000 ST1100
A 10' UHaul has no ramp and is $2,015. A 15' footer has the ramp and is $2,123. Not much more for the added length and a ramp, although the extra feet are mostly in the over cab section. Quotes are at least $1700 for both bikes and I would still have to rent a trailer anyway for another $900. Looks like about a wash once you add gas for the truck.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A 10' UHaul has no ramp and is $2,015. A 15' footer has the ramp and is $2,123. Not much more for the added length and a ramp, although the extra feet are mostly in the over cab section. Quotes are at least $1700 for both bikes and I would still have to rent a trailer anyway for another $900. Looks like about a wash once you add gas for the truck.
And at least you know how you bikes are going to be handled for sure! ;)

OP
OP
skinl19
Bike
2000 ST1100
Penske, U haul, Ryder, all rent one way trucks.
You may want to also check Enterprise and van rentals that do one way trips as well.
Finding a truck to rent isn't the issue, but wondering the tradeoff in price over only renting a trailer and having someone else move the bikes. So far doing it myself is "winning".

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Side question... Where in E. Washington?

For that kind of money, have you thought about buying an enclosed trailer big enough and then sell it when you are done moving..?
I know a few who did that and only lost $500 or so.
T

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The motorcycle transport company that a friend used, charged about $.75 cents a mile.

OP
OP
skinl19
Bike
2000 ST1100
Side question... Where in E. Washington?

For that kind of money, have you thought about buying an enclosed trailer big enough and then sell it when you are done moving..?
I know a few who did that and only lost $500 or so.
T
Hmm, that's a good idea. I will have to look into it. I have a 2023 Durango but only a 6 cylinder with a towing capacity of 6200 pounds. I will have to check the weights of some trailers to see what once big enough would weigh. Frontal air resistance is another matter.

Bike
2010 ST1300
FWIW, around 2000, I was looking for a used van for my business. Penske sells anything in their fleet, and they maintain the trucks with regular preventative maint. They will show a prospective buyer the computerized records for every service the vehicle underwent. None of the other rental places had such detailed records or, IMO, as structured PM for their fleet. Were I traveling 2K miles in a truck, I'd go w. Penske for those reasons.

Don't forget you will have a few miles pulling a trailer up some hills (aka Rocky Mountains) and said trailer will be pushing you down the other side. I would think twice about loading the trailer to the maximum gvw your car can handle. Does your Durango have a towing package (oil cooler, trans oil cooler, etc.)?

You might also consider driving a bit more slowly if you tow (even though this is antithetical to most of us).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I am going to need an enclosed trailer to pull two bikes and some lawn equipment, plus other items movers won't touch. ;)
My point is that you don't need a monster truck to tow, just be aware of the limitations.

I pull my trailer over the mountains from here to W.Va. and to Ohio for STOC weekends.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
We contacted sterling lexicon customer service when needed to transfer our bikes to NY. It was winter and I didn't want to pull a trailer, so no regrets. The price was reasonable. And I should say, I was impressed by the number of services this moving company offers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinl19
Bike
2000 ST1100
Since we are going to be moving a household the moving companies have included the motorcycles in their estimates. Anyone had movers include their bikes?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Hmm, that's a good idea. I will have to look into it. I have a 2023 Durango but only a 6 cylinder with a towing capacity of 6200 pounds. I will have to check the weights of some trailers to see what once big enough would weigh. Frontal air resistance is another matter.
Following on that, give a glance at the enclosed U-Haul trailers. This is their biggest one and I priced it from Lake Orion to Yakima, WA.

1711543069417.png

This smaller one is likely a tight squeeze, but pricing for consideration.

1711543159419.png

These are both based on your Durango, but the weight allowances are weird. Anyway, you can technically fit both in the small one, probably also with room for lawn equipment, but the big boy up top will fit everything comfortably. Just watch your head.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've used Motorcycle Shippers to get my ST1300 from North Carolina to Oregon and then my kid's 650 VStrom from Oregon to Rochester, NY last September. The 1300 was about $960 in 202 and the VStrom was about $1,200 in 2023. Inflation no doubt.

The 1300 came to me from a sale with pretty much nothing but the bike. The VStrom was loaded to the gills in its Givi tank bag and tail trunk. The terms and conditions said this wasn't allowed, but the pair that picked up the bike at my house were chill and saved me about $200 in shipping I didn't need to do.

I recommend them.

Of course, with the stuff you're moving, we're pretty much convinced you need to haul your own trailer.

Plus, think of those spots along the way where you can unload the bike and take a scenic detour!

Top Bottom