Mumbling along a quiet motorway (freeway)

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
So, continuing the "series"... @Kaiser Swaghelm II - your reaction video whenever appropriate, with whatever reaction you have.

I found myself today commuting home from Liverpool, so below is basically how I normally ride. I'm talking to myself, bending the rules of the road as I see fit, and generally just getting home before the heavens opened. Of note, it's quieter than usual on the motorway, most likely because of Covid.

@Upt' North - given your previous job, I'm genuinely interested in your feedback, but all are welcome to comment.

Also, anyone that's into "moto vlogging" - I'm considering a second camera for the ram ball pictured in this video. Any thoughts would be welcomed, same as anyone that wants to give pointers on Adobe Premiere Pro editing (I tried adding Warp Stabalisation, but it looked weird).

Anyway...

I tried a behind-the-windscreen camera position and found that it picked up a lot of unwanted reflections. A clear view with nothing between the lens and the tableau is better. IMO.

AdHom, ay up bud.
Generally a very good ride.
Three points, fairly minor.
I wouldn't have flashed the car to come out, let them sort themselves out. It's a British disease.
I wouldn't pull back from 3 to 2 whilst passing a car, leave it two seconds longer and pull into 2 when there's no vehicle in 1. It was a red car I'm referring to.
When you left the motorway you did a right shoulder check but no obvious left check, it wouldn't hurt to throw one in. There just might have been some sports bike heading for the same gap.
But, nice ride and commentary, I can't comment on your signals because I couldn't see them, but the 300 yard marker for leaving the motorway was spot on.
Upt'North.

I'd have carried on down tthe Queens ferry bypass and onto Denbigh LOL, My old stomping ground, thought I recognised the tunnel Wirral exit but thought nah it cannot be !

I'm just impressed with how quiet the audio is. My camera(s) always pick up so much wind noise. I assume you must have an external mic run into the helmet?

I have two gopro mounts on the left side, one on the upper cowl down by the cylinder head, it gets great action videos of the suspension and SMC working and makes left hand corner leans look more impressive. The other is on the left side mirror cover, videos aren't as impressive but its super convenient for switching on/off, sorry cannot share any videos ... maybe LEO are watching LOL

@Upt' North - re moving from 3 to 2, having re-watched it, there's 2 occasions where I - upon reflection - aren't happy with the choice I made. Both were red cars, one just where the cones finish (the "champion" moment) and the "cut the corner a little" moment. You are indeed correct, and I should have waited longer, especially since in both cases there was no "back pressure" causing me to move over, and even if such pressure existed, commanding the position is probably more appropriate anyway. There's every chance they could clip a cats eye, drop their phone and swerve into 2 - or just be asleep & drift over the line. I've no business wanting to be involved in that mess.

Re coming off the motorway, again, you're correct - that's a bad habit I've got into having ridden with the convex mirror on my previous windshield. I did 2 left mirror checks after the 300 yard board, but there's still a blindspot if someone is coming at pace up the hard shoulder area. In the convex, I would have that covered, but I'll endeavour to be mindful of that blind spot existing.

The flashing is an ingrained habit in situations where the only thing it could be mistaken for is a "hello, I'm here" (and if anyone just spat coffee out, shame on you!) - I don't do it at junctions to let people out, and he was coming out anyway "permission" or not. In a motorway situation, I will usually flash a truck back in, telling him that he's clear and I'm comfortable with the distance, but yes, it's a disease, and I probably over-use the flash button.

@ibike2havefun - indeed, you're correct. At 1440p on this video, there was warping induced by the windshield (which is why I exported at 1080p). I have GW tip over bars protecting the panniers, and I'm toying with the idea of a 360 camera mounted on a selfie-stick, probably on the right side of the bike to make getting on/off easier.

@sky.high - I used to work in Denbigh and live not a million miles away. Small world eh? I prefer to come off the motorway & down the A41 to pick up the A494, just changes the pace a little, gives more things to think about. If you remember the backroad from St Asaph with the tight uphill hairpin, I've eaten tarmac there coming downhill in winter, as I'm sure many a biker has.

@Obo - yep, the camera is the Sena Prism Tube Wifi, which comes with a wired mic & speaker for inside the helmet. The mic is tucked away near my right cheek, with the PacTalk mic on the left.

@Upt' North - re moving from 3 to 2, having re-watched it, there's 2 occasions where I - upon reflection - aren't happy with the choice I made. Both were red cars, one just where the cones finish (the "champion" moment) and the "cut the corner a little" moment. You are indeed correct, and I should have waited longer, especially since in both cases there was no "back pressure" causing me to move over, and even if such pressure existed, commanding the position is probably more appropriate anyway. There's every chance they could clip a cats eye, drop their phone and swerve into 2 - or just be asleep & drift over the line. I've no business wanting to be involved in that mess.

Re coming off the motorway, again, you're correct - that's a bad habit I've got into having ridden with the convex mirror on my previous windshield. I did 2 left mirror checks after the 300 yard board, but there's still a blindspot if someone is coming at pace up the hard shoulder area. In the convex, I would have that covered, but I'll endeavour to be mindful of that blind spot existing.

The flashing is an ingrained habit in situations where the only thing it could be mistaken for is a "hello, I'm here" (and if anyone just spat coffee out, shame on you!) - I don't do it at junctions to let people out, and he was coming out anyway "permission" or not. In a motorway situation, I will usually flash a truck back in, telling him that he's clear and I'm comfortable with the distance, but yes, it's a disease, and I probably over-use the flash button.

@ibike2havefun - indeed, you're correct. At 1440p on this video, there was warping induced by the windshield (which is why I exported at 1080p). I have GW tip over bars protecting the panniers, and I'm toying with the idea of a 360 camera mounted on a selfie-stick, probably on the right side of the bike to make getting on/off easier.

@sky.high - I used to work in Denbigh and live not a million miles away. Small world eh? I prefer to come off the motorway & down the A41 to pick up the A494, just changes the pace a little, gives more things to think about. If you remember the backroad from St Asaph with the tight uphill hairpin, I've eaten tarmac there coming downhill in winter, as I'm sure many a biker has.

@Obo - yep, the camera is the Sena Prism Tube Wifi, which comes with a wired mic & speaker for inside the helmet. The mic is tucked away near my right cheek, with the PacTalk mic on the left.
AdHom, the flash thing is like we agree a disease. My concern is that you are instructing the other driver to carry out the manoeuvre, then what if it goes wrong. Better like you aptly put it to command your position and either anticipate the situation and get passed before he has time to even think about it or as you did, I'd prefer to sit back let them sort themselves out and then press on.
Do I flash, of course I do, it's a disease afterall.
Riding abroad in mainland Europe it would be seen as an aggressive I'm coming through signal and that's the danger I suppose, how will it be received by others. Also being an HGV driver myself, well I've got a licence, it is a welcome courtesy when someone lets you know it's OK to pull back in. But for HGV's I would give a very clear show of the main beam either on the bike or car or turn the lights off and on completely which would be my preferred method. Obviously not all vehicles will allow you to do this.
But nice riding AdHom and if the permafrost finally starts to go up here I will endeavour to commentate more, it's a good practice to follow. More snow forecast today and tomorrow. Bloody weather.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
I completely agree on the reasoning for not flashing, and for trucks, I usually opt for a long high beam, followed by 2 short high beam flashes. If I had been on a RoSPA assessment ride for example, there would be no flashing at anyone, and there's a line of thinking that says "treat every ride like it's an assessment."

Funny thing, in Europe, I don't flash, pre-pandemic I was riding in Italy a fair amount, and it's just not something I ever bothered to do because it's not practiced there. In Turkey however, everyone flashes on dual carriageways in the dark, seemingly to signal "I'm here, and I'm coming past you" - I am yet to see it done aggressively.

I commentate probably 90% of my rides, but don't bother in the car - same thoughts go through my head, I just don't verbalise in the car for some reason.

Unlucky about the snow, too warm here. :D

I very rarely watch videos on these feeds, however, I've made an exception for this one. Seems a very nice smooth ride. With regard to flashing, on the bikes and car I only ever flash to overtaking HGVs and Coaches (probably because I drive the latter). I stopped flashing to let someone out after a very close call some 25 years ago, lesson learned. On the coach I do flash vehicles on the motorway that are sitting in the middle lane if they could move left safely to let me pass (remember I am not allowed in the outside lane of a motorway). Generally that is one flash to wake up the middle lane hogger who has no idea that I'm there ;)

As for technique, from the Coach driving seat I would much prefer to see one 2 second flash to let me know I am safely passed. I don't need it (I should know the length of my vehicle!) but the courtesy is always appreciated and you will always get the alternating indicator thank you :)

Thanks for the ride along. Felt to be a nice smooth ride, in total control, and I would pillion anytime.
Must admit I also do the talk through when on the bike, and used to do it in the car, until passengers (usually my wife) kept asking "are you talking to yourself again ?", so now the talk through in the car is in my head.
Started doing this way, way back when going through IAM and RoSPA in both car & on bike, and its a habit I've kept up that makes you aware of hazards and "possible" hazards - far distance, middle distance, near distance, left, right, not forgetting behind, and a speed check every 20 seconds or so.
Keep it up, and stay safe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom