My 2005 St is now heat free

Byron

STOC #
Welcome!

Regarding the seat, have you tried putting the front one position higher than the rear? It usually stops that sliding forward affect.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome to this form. I see you have been hit by the farkle bug. I'm sure you will find STOC filled with info and a great bunch of people.

Remember to ride safe.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The first ergonomical mod should have been the seat.

Ray

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Has any one else tried the thermotec copper-impregnated wrap that tennhillbilly is referring to? The JSC web site (http://www.jscspeed.com) indicates that it is 30% more thermal efficient than the standard Thermotec exhaust insulating wrap.

Brad

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm among those with no "heat issue" and I am convinced that it's because I wear riding boots and riding pants. Better to sacrifice your riding gear in a get-off than your body. ATGATT

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Has any one else tried the thermotec copper-impregnated wrap that tennhillbilly is referring to? The JSC web site (http://www.jscspeed.com) indicates that it is 30% more thermal efficient than the standard Thermotec exhaust insulating wrap.

Brad
The copper impregnated tape is working for me. I feel less heat, but have no way of verifying the 30% claim.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have used Thermotec Header Wrap on my Cobra, Polaris Ranger, and Yamaha Rhino and it works great. The wrap that I use has little copper particals in it and if you don't use gloves you will have them in your hands.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
It does send the heat farther down the line but should not hurt anything. The exhaust coming out of the cylinder head is around 1000 degrees but cools very fast. I am new here but have seen a lot of heat issues on the Polaris Ranger XP 700. It is one of there first efi attemps and had alot of melting plastic in the early days. I have had my ST 1300 for a week now. Some friends and I rode 127 miles yesterday and I must say the heat was bad. I got dehydrated and the heat was gettig to me, some city driving some open rode. A lot of stop and go. temp was 99. I rode it 187 miles to day and had a blast. Heat was there but not as bad as my 03 Concours. Temp was 95+. I think and will have to log alot more miles to confirm that the heat is no worse than the Concours it is just in a different place. Now the concours do have wend deflecters sending cool air to the legs. I have herd of some sort of deflecters for the st but have not looked as of yet. I am goig to do that now. just my .02.

I'm among those with no "heat issue" and I am convinced that it's because I wear riding boots and riding pants. Better to sacrifice your riding gear in a get-off than your body. ATGATT
You are right to a point. I'm much hotter in jeans than my riding pants but...this past Wednesday I headed out for the day. Started out in my Olympia Ranger pants (tall BMW boots with even taller boot socks). By the time I got to Knoxville I was burning up. Took off the Rangers and put on the Airglides (felt better). I wish I had brought the therometer with me so I could have taken some readings but it was very hot from my knees down. When it hit 95 I said screw it and took my Airglide jacket off (this was in town) and I cooled down some then. When I started back home and hit the interstate the jacket came back on (feels more comfortable at speeds than a T-shirt). I had my gloves off and it was so hot around my knees (left side much more so) that I could only hold my hand there for a bit. It just seems like the heat sits in that area and this is with the windshield all the way down (where I perfer it). If I raise it up it pulls the heat up my body and is hot all over then. I guess I'll try the header rap and the fairing deflectors as I really want to make this work out but as of now I just don't like riding it when it gets much above 80

You are right to a point. I'm much hotter in jeans than my riding pants but...this past Wednesday I headed out for the day. Started out in my Olympia Ranger pants (tall BMW boots with even taller boot socks). By the time I got to Knoxville I was burning up. Took off the Rangers and put on the Airglides (felt better). I wish I had brought the therometer with me so I could have taken some readings but it was very hot from my knees down. When it hit 95 I said screw it and took my Airglide jacket off (this was in town) and I cooled down some then. When I started back home and hit the interstate the jacket came back on (feels more comfortable at speeds than a T-shirt). I had my gloves off and it was so hot around my knees (left side much more so) that I could only hold my hand there for a bit. It just seems like the heat sits in that area and this is with the windshield all the way down (where I perfer it). If I raise it up it pulls the heat up my body and is hot all over then. I guess I'll try the header rap and the fairing deflectors as I really want to make this work out but as of now I just don't like riding it when it gets much above 80
This is exactly my experience with my 2006 ST. I wear Sidi Champion Air Boots with either jeans or my Tourmaster Flex pants (typically with panels removed), and above 80 or so both legs get overheated, with my left leg getting cooked! I've thought about installing the fairing deflectors, but I think this is a non-reversible install, and I'm not sure if I want even less air in the cockpit than there already is. The header raps sound good, but I'm concerned that the exaust pipe metal might get brittle over time. Any thoughts?

fitenfyr

Parrothead
Interesting....mine seems to bother my right leg much more than the left and at any outside air temp greater than 80 degrees.
Especially if I am stopped.
When I am moving the heat is not too bad. This is with either riding pants or my jeans on (never wear less than that).
I always wear a over the ankle boot. Right now I am currently riding with a "combat" type boot which has a nylon side to it so the heat travels right through my boot (course it travels right out also. :D ).

I might have to try the heat wrap, but as we only get a few days over 80 here in the Pacific Northwest the extra heat during the cooler days is welcome. :D

BTW great tip on the seat mod. I didn't even have to bend the tabs mine just kind of slipped in with a bit of muscle.
MUCHO more comfy now almost to the point I don't really see the need for a 500.00 seat, but I bet I will still end up with one. :D

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I use Sidi road boots with heavy socks and leather pants.
This takes care of any heat issues for me.

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
I wrapped my headers with my riding pants, now I ride with only my thong & a coconut bra.

The O2 sensors won't be affected by wrapping your pipes. I wrapped all my racecar headers in the stuff & never burnt a sensor.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I wrapped my headers with my riding pants, now I ride with only my thong & a coconut bra.

The O2 sensors won't be affected by wrapping your pipes. I wrapped all my racecar headers in the stuff & never burnt a sensor.

'07 ST1300
'73 GT550 (ding da-ding danng dang)
Ha! Ha! Ha! LLLOOOLLLL! Excuse me while I poke out my mind's eye! :22yikes: You are a riot! :clap2:

Dale

Top Bottom