My 2005 St is now heat free

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
In reference to a previous comment, in my experience the mirror and fairing deflectors GREATLY increased the feeling of heat on my legs and thighs. In fact, heat never became an issue for me until I installed the deflectors. They protect your legs from the airflow, so the engine heat tends to linger there because there's no air flow to blow it away.

Mandel

Lew

STOC #
Okay, dumb question time.

If the point of wrapping the headers is to keep the heat inside the pipes until later on, I don't understand why you'd want the wrapping to have any thermal efficiency? Wouldn't you want it to be as good a thermal insulator as possible?

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Okay, dumb question time.

If the point of wrapping the headers is to keep the heat inside the pipes until later on, I don't understand why you'd want the wrapping to have any thermal efficiency? Wouldn't you want it to be as good a thermal insulator as possible?
GOOD QUESTION!!!:bow1:

Copper transfers heat and cold more easily... I think I am plastering mine with Asbestos... Where is the cheapest place to buy Asbestos wrap online??? :duck:

Bike
2006 St1300
I think I saw some paint on heat shielding from a model airplane web site.

STOC #
I think I saw some paint on heat shielding from a model airplane web site.
Well I don't have an ST1300 but... I did have a ceramic coating applied to the OEM exhaust header on my VF1100S for cosmetic reasons. One side effect is that the pipes "seem" to be much cooler now. The company (JetHot Coatings) claim a 30% reduction in surface temperature when using their product on headers. This isn't something you can do at home though and it's a little pricey.

Top Bottom