My absence........

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Some may have noticed my absence for quite a while now. I've not ridden is some time. I still have my bike, but barely put a thousand miles on it over the last year. Work got in the way, too much overtime and not enough time for, well, life in general. My new wife (of 3 years) and I had/have a 5 year plan so we can retire early (me at 59 and her at 55). We were going full speed, then March 6, 2020 came. The ONE day I decide I AM going to ride to work, I put my lunch in the side bag, suited up, and was about to put my helmet on to depart to work.

My wife caught me in the garage and demanded I help her get a file to attach to an email because she had to have it in by 5:00pm and couldn't get it to work. I told her "I'm going to be late" but she insisted. Lucky for me she prevailed. As I was working to get the file to attach I had a sudden case of heart burn. I've only had heart burn once in my life 15 years ago so I knew what it felt like. She saw the frown on my face and saw me swallow hard. Quick back story; most of the men in my family die of sudden, massive heart attacks in their late 40s and she was aware of that fact. So, she immediately asked if I needed to go to the hospital. I told ner, no, I just need some heart burn medication. She had something of some sort and gave it to me.

A few minutes passed and all of a sudden it felt like someone hit me high between the shoulders, burying an axe in my spine and left it there. The pain was more than I could stand. I told her then, "you need to get me to a hospital". I don't remember getting in her car or half the drive to the hospital, but remember the 2nd half of the drive. The hospital was so new that the furniture in the ER waiting room was not fully assembled. I told the lady at the counter I think I might be having a heart attack. She said, "take a seat over there and we'll get with you in few minutes". OH BOY, she evidently didn't think a heart attack is severe. She made a phone call and the double door busted open with 4 or 5 folks who rushed me inside. They hooked up an EKG, started an IV in each arm, gave me aspirin, nitro glycerin, and called the Cardiologist. They transmitted the EKG to him and he said "you'd better get him on a helicopter to me or he is not going to make it; you had better get him to me because he won't last if I drive there". That one comment, as relayed by the ER doctor to my wife, set her into total panic mode.

So, within minutes the helicopter, who was in the area, dropped in and I was on my way to Denton. Seven minutes later they rolled me into the CATH Lab and the doctor injected dye and was looking at my beating heart on a screen. He showed me and said, "you're having what we call a Widow Maker's Heart Attack. You have a 100% blockage in the main artery going to your heart. I can't believe you are not coding or at least unconscious". He said, "it appears to be a blood clot". I exclaimed "WELL GET THIS F#$%KNG THING OUT OF ME". Several folks laughed and they put me to sleep. I was in and out during the procedure and can recall some of the process and feeling the pressure of the tool going into my femoral artery and some of the comments he made but it is foggy. After he was done he said we got it out, you have a strong healthy heart with a very small amount of plaque around the walls of the artery but that is normal for a man you age. He said we did find a blood clot and it is removed. He put in a stent and said I would be on blood thinners for a year until the artery engulfed the stent; then the platelets in the blood will not even know there is anything there and won't try to clot against it. I was in and out in 48 hours. They had me stay an extra day because they were concerned about the femoral artery clogging and didn't want me bleeding out through that area. I felt great after the sedative wore off a few hours later and was ready to go to work. Both the doctor and my wife said NO! So I rested 3 more days and went back to work.

I went in for a follow up appointment 2 weeks later and the doctor said he did a debrief with 3 other surgeons in his group. They watched video of the procedure and said there was another artery with some blockage. He had to go back in. So, a week later back in I went. The original time I was in took 20 minutes. This one took 3 hours plus. He checked EVERY artery and EVERY chamber of my heart. He found nothing, said I was golden. I was in and out in 5 hours.

Now, the words he told me and my wife I only wish he had told me; "You had probably not ride your motorcycle while you are on blood thinners. If you have an accident, you could bleed to death". sigh...........

So.......no bike rides for another year; although, I've taken it out a few times to keep it running and, well, it HAS to be ridden, right? I've not gone on any ride of any length. Now I concentrate on the hospital bills and back to our 5 year plan to retire.

So, some in here know of my motorcycle accident where I got run over by a car and by all rights should've died then, and now this. Google Widow Maker's Heart Attack. Evidently only about 2% of the folks survive it. The doctor said it is because most people pass out and the symptoms occur while they are unconscious then they go into cardiac arrest; never to awaken again. I don't think LUCKY quite describes what I am. Blessed maybe? How is it that all the things lined up where I was not on my motorcycle to pass out on my ride to work? I'm not sure of the exact word or words to describe it. God has me here for a reason, maybe it is staring me in the face screaming at me, but I don't know what it is, or don't hear it. I hope soon I know the purpose He has for me.

Ride safe my friends!!

P.S. I did have a complete physical and stress test 9 months earlier with no abnormalities noted.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Welcome back, both to the board and the Land of the Living. That's a scary tale. Glad it has turned out well so far. Keep it that way, won't you?

Bike
VStrom 650
No I wouldn't say you're lucky either Tex, but you're still above the sod which is a good result.
Take it easy, when retirement comes it comes, why fret about 1 year here or there but be sure to enjoy every day.
Wishing you a successful recovery and stay out of helicopters, they're worse than clots.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was just thinking about you 2 this weekend while considering another Miata and how I hadn't seen you post something in a while. Glad to see everything lined up about as well as it could have. The tough part is how much you owe her and now the next birthday gift has to be a doozie.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, that's quite the story Joe. Really glad to see you posting.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Wow - quite the tale Joe - so glad that your wife was there and that she was on the ball and then that the folks at the hospital were sharp and able to get the right things done.

Stay well, get stronger and when the time is right, the bike will be ready.

Pete

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
All I can say is...Wow!! I'm so glad everything worked out the way it did and as others have said, thank goodness for your wife!
Take care and get your strength back.

Patty

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Things, sometimes happen for a reason! Attaching a file to an email is usually not a big deal. This one turned out to be a lifesaver! :hat3:

Glad you are on this side of it all, continue to heal, so you can get back on the bike!

OP
OP
JoeP
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Thanks for all the well wishes and comments! Glad to be alive. Now, to ride again!

Thanks @Mellow. She sold the blue '17 and got a white '19 because it has the new engine with 30 extra hp (near 180 if memory serves me right). She loves it.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Glad you told your story it sure puts things in the proper perspective. I'm learning not to get so p*&%# at the things I can't control and appreciate the things i can. Good luck to you....a year will pass very quickly.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The ‘widowmaker’ is a blockage in the left anterior descending artery and it feeds a large portion of the left ventricle, without which, well, you’re dead (covers the left front heart)- it’s responsible for some nasty heart rhythm issues that can kill as well. Glad you made it out (relatively) unscathed. Sorry about no (read limited) riding in the near future but as time goes on, and if you can come off the anticoagulants, you should be good to ride.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Some may have noticed my absence for quite a while now. I've not ridden is some time. I still have my bike, but barely put a thousand miles on it over the last year. Work got in the way, too much overtime and not enough time for, well, life in general. My new wife (of 3 years) and I had/have a 5 year plan so we can retire early (me at 59 and her at 55). We were going full speed, then March 6, 2020 came. The ONE day I decide I AM going to ride to work, I put my lunch in the side bag, suited up, and was about to put my helmet on to depart to work.

My wife caught me in the garage and demanded I help her get a file to attach to an email because she had to have it in by 5:00pm and couldn't get it to work. I told her "I'm going to be late" but she insisted. Lucky for me she prevailed. As I was working to get the file to attach I had a sudden case of heart burn. I've only had heart burn once in my life 15 years ago so I knew what it felt like. She saw the frown on my face and saw me swallow hard. Quick back story; most of the men in my family die of sudden, massive heart attacks in their late 40s and she was aware of that fact. So, she immediately asked if I needed to go to the hospital. I told ner, no, I just need some heart burn medication. She had something of some sort and gave it to me.

A few minutes passed and all of a sudden it felt like someone hit me high between the shoulders, burying an axe in my spine and left it there. The pain was more than I could stand. I told her then, "you need to get me to a hospital". I don't remember getting in her car or half the drive to the hospital, but remember the 2nd half of the drive. The hospital was so new that the furniture in the ER waiting room was not fully assembled. I told the lady at the counter I think I might be having a heart attack. She said, "take a seat over there and we'll get with you in few minutes". OH BOY, she evidently didn't think a heart attack is severe. She made a phone call and the double door busted open with 4 or 5 folks who rushed me inside. They hooked up an EKG, started an IV in each arm, gave me aspirin, nitro glycerin, and called the Cardiologist. They transmitted the EKG to him and he said "you'd better get him on a helicopter to me or he is not going to make it; you had better get him to me because he won't last if I drive there". That one comment, as relayed by the ER doctor to my wife, set her into total panic mode.

So, within minutes the helicopter, who was in the area, dropped in and I was on my way to Denton. Seven minutes later they rolled me into the CATH Lab and the doctor injected dye and was looking at my beating heart on a screen. He showed me and said, "you're having what we call a Widow Maker's Heart Attack. You have a 100% blockage in the main artery going to your heart. I can't believe you are not coding or at least unconscious". He said, "it appears to be a blood clot". I exclaimed "WELL GET THIS F#$%KNG THING OUT OF ME". Several folks laughed and they put me to sleep. I was in and out during the procedure and can recall some of the process and feeling the pressure of the tool going into my femoral artery and some of the comments he made but it is foggy. After he was done he said we got it out, you have a strong healthy heart with a very small amount of plaque around the walls of the artery but that is normal for a man you age. He said we did find a blood clot and it is removed. He put in a stent and said I would be on blood thinners for a year until the artery engulfed the stent; then the platelets in the blood will not even know there is anything there and won't try to clot against it. I was in and out in 48 hours. They had me stay an extra day because they were concerned about the femoral artery clogging and didn't want me bleeding out through that area. I felt great after the sedative wore off a few hours later and was ready to go to work. Both the doctor and my wife said NO! So I rested 3 more days and went back to work.

I went in for a follow up appointment 2 weeks later and the doctor said he did a debrief with 3 other surgeons in his group. They watched video of the procedure and said there was another artery with some blockage. He had to go back in. So, a week later back in I went. The original time I was in took 20 minutes. This one took 3 hours plus. He checked EVERY artery and EVERY chamber of my heart. He found nothing, said I was golden. I was in and out in 5 hours.

Now, the words he told me and my wife I only wish he had told me; "You had probably not ride your motorcycle while you are on blood thinners. If you have an accident, you could bleed to death". sigh...........

So.......no bike rides for another year; although, I've taken it out a few times to keep it running and, well, it HAS to be ridden, right? I've not gone on any ride of any length. Now I concentrate on the hospital bills and back to our 5 year plan to retire.

So, some in here know of my motorcycle accident where I got run over by a car and by all rights should've died then, and now this. Google Widow Maker's Heart Attack. Evidently only about 2% of the folks survive it. The doctor said it is because most people pass out and the symptoms occur while they are unconscious then they go into cardiac arrest; never to awaken again. I don't think LUCKY quite describes what I am. Blessed maybe? How is it that all the things lined up where I was not on my motorcycle to pass out on my ride to work? I'm not sure of the exact word or words to describe it. God has me here for a reason, maybe it is staring me in the face screaming at me, but I don't know what it is, or don't hear it. I hope soon I know the purpose He has for me.

Ride safe my friends!!

P.S. I did have a complete physical and stress test 9 months earlier with no abnormalities noted.
God does have his hand on you and I'm sure the best is yet to come for you and your family. My LDL was 185 mg/dl, my blood sugars were a consistent 480 mg/dl and my blood pressure was 225/120 and I struggled with these numbers for two years. I've been on all the meds to lower my blood sugars. Metformin made me sick to my stomach and insulin made me gain a boat ton of weight. I found out my blood pressure meds were contributing to my diabetes!! What to do?

I changed things up three weeks ago and decided to take my health into my own hands. As of this morning 6/23/2020, my blood pressure is 120 /89, and my blood sugars are 95 mg/dl. I'll be doing more labs in 30 days and I would be more than happy to share with you what my new numbers will be and I bet I'll have an almost perfect LDL mg/dl. My bet is my LDL will be at or below 100 mg/dl. By the way, I have thrown all of my medications in the trash and I have a new life, clear mind, and more energy than my 24-year-old son who is in the Air Force.

I did all of this from reading a book I purchased five years ago and decided to open it up and see if it was a sham or if it really worked as the folks who followed this program on YouTube. The name of the book is the Engine 2 Diet and it will bring you back to a full recovery and eventually clear any blockages you may have in your arteries. Please consult your physician if you decide to do this because you are going to need to be under your doctor's supervision while on this program because he or she will be reducing your meds to almost zero within two months of starting this new lifestyle.

God bless and thank you for sharing your story with everyone!

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Ride safe my friends!!

Like an idiot, I just realized you live in Frisco, Texas. I grew up in Southlake before the big boom hit in the early nineties. I sure do miss home.

Take care and have a great day!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
JoeP, good to hear you're alive and ready to ride again someday.
Was thinking of you just a couple weeks ago at the RTE in Thurber, TX
Prayers for your speedy recovery and future plans.
See ya at the next RTE you can make.

Top Bottom