My Back Issues Continue

Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
I have now had 3 back surgeries. Two in the past eight months. The first 2 were just disc repairs at L4-L5 as well as arthritis and scar tissue removal after losing feeling in both legs again. In January I inherited a titanium joint at L4-L5 when we found a facet joint fractured in half. After months of ridiculous pain causing muscle spasms throughout my entire body, I not so politely advised the neurosurgeon that I needed him to "practice" medicine as my current condition at 39 was unacceptable.

I was put on muscle relaxers and pain meds and I was able to function like what I would consider to be a normal person. I then advised him that he needed to figure out a way for me to get here without the pills.

Today I went in and they burned the nerves on my left side that send the pain signal from L4 down. Ouch. More like electrocuted.

He then advised that my options at this point will be to add a titanium joint at L5-S1, install an electro stimulator (battery powered nerve override. My wife liked this option if it had an off button :eek::), or take pills for pain management for the rest of my life.

Now at 40 I just don't like any of the options.

The frustrating thing is that my discs are extremely healthy looking. They cannot isolate the pain signal that is causing the muscles to spasm, thus causing the nerve compressions. I am on my 5th doctor. At least his team is trying to practice medicine. The others advised that there was nothing wrong with me.

He did ask if I would consider not riding for 3 to 6 months to see if my symptoms changed. I had to remind him of our winter that some thought would never end so the bike causing issues was ruled out.

I did make it almost 1600 miles to CreSTOC on my 40th which was a goal of mine for mental well being. I figured what the doctors didn't know wouldn't hurt them... I advised them today and they just shook their heads at me..

CreSTOC gave me the energy to keep fighting this daily nightmare. Thanks to everyone for the support!! I will be back next year.

Eric

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Wish I could help. I've got some back pain from a herniated disk, but I'm sure it's nothing like yours. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

John

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Eric,

Your challenges, and your positive attitude in facing them, puts a sore tuchus at the end of a long day into perspective. I look forward to seeing you at CreSTOC next year.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
+1! We have many more miles to ride!!

....hopefully I'll actually get to ride with you at CreSTOC next year.... :)

<D>

OP
OP
Eric
Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
One way or another I will be there!

I hate to use the trailer word, but I can sit in the seat of my RV for days without any pain. It is the only time I am in practically zero pain.

I think I am on to something here!?! In 14 yrs when my yongest is out of the house my wife wants to move into our RV and travel full-time. Enclosed trailer for ST to hide the fact she is being towed and make it to many more events....

That is actually already the plan, now I just need to make it there! :D

Nevada - Hope your daughter is healing well and that you made out ok with the Insurance co.

Dan - Thanks for the use of the cabin. The couch was much needed and appreciated after Saturday's ride.

To All - The fundraising effort at CreSTOC was simply amazing. Shows the true class (yes, many of you fit in your own class) when called to come together in support of a good cause. My son loves the t-shirt I picked up for him. I just did not tell him what the headlights look like...

John - I was hoping to meet you at WeSTOC, but my son asked if I would take him down the Oregon Coast that weekend. I cannot pass up the yrs he has time for me. He is going on 11 and I need to make the best of these yrs... Please let me know the next time you are up this way...

What do you get when you put people from all different walks of life with views and opinions that range from one side of the spectrum to the other? (to be politically correct)

ST-Owners.com

And, I thank you.
Eric

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Have you tried riding a Wing? If sitting in the seat of your RV is okay then you could just need something with a different riding position. Might be worth looking into.

Hope they figure something out that works better for you... we're pulling for ya.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
Eric hang in there. I had surgery in early March to repair a badly herniated C7-T1 disc. I lived on pain pills from late Jan until time of surgery. I'm still not able to do many of the activities that I was doing before all of this happened. Things are getting back normal, but still don't have the strength in my left hand that I used to have. They released me from PT a couple of weeks ago, and I finally was able to ride a short distance last Thursday.

Back problems are the pits, and I hope you find someone that can and will help you. Your way too young to have to deal with problems of this type. Good Luck!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I find sitting on the Connie better for my L5/S1 grinding than the Wing... the forward lean helps, where the upright position just made it worse on the Wing :eek::

But like everything else... what works for me... blah blah blah :D

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Eric,
I hope you can find relief somehow. I had my disc (L5-S1) removed five years ago. It took six weeks from my injury to surgery. The pain was so intense I don't know if I could have made much longer.

Wish I could offer some remedy to your pain. I have a bulging disc above the one that was removed and it is a ticking time bomb before it goes. I truly cherish every day I can put both feet on the floor and get myself vertical.

Hang in there,
Mike

OP
OP
Eric
Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
I got a hold of a box of 5% Lidocaine patches which is time released over twelve hrs and started with one on my right hip and placed them side by side all the way around my back to my left hip.

Within an hour I was walking with vertually no pain. Comfortably numb? Or is my back doing ok and my spasms are being triggered by Brisitis of the hips. That would explain my hips feeling like they were going to explode straddling the seat of the motorcycle for all those hours to CreSTOC. It hurt to stand and move my legs after riding which could also fire the same muscle spasm pinching off the nerve root at L5-S1.

I called the team of neurosurgeons and advised that I had been practicing medicine at home and to get back to me if it was time to move on and focus on something other than the back being the source of my spasms since my spine and discs look great... They love when I throw out that "Practice" part of their job.

Joe - I cannot switch to a Wing until my wife decides to start riding with me. I lack the discipline. I have to much CBR 600RR left in me. I only lasted 1500 miles on my VTX1300 as I kept putting the bike up on the frame in corners. Thank goodness for spring loaded floor boards... :D

It is absolutely not the bike. I just have issues. Story of my life. Too many football helmets in the back. Racing dirt cars and asphalt, etc. All those great shock to the lower body activities. Three knee reconstructions, an ankle, both hands. I am a walking medical experiment...

I will be doing more consulting with Uncle "Nurse" Mark and my Pharmacist for a dad and help the doctors get on track to fix my mess.

My son wants to go ride. I have no choice but to figure this out!!!! We also keep catching our 4 yr old daughter sitting on the ST in the garage. Let me tell you how well that goes over with the wife.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
Eric

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
It is absolutely not the bike. I just have issues. Story of my life. Too many football helmets in the back. Racing dirt cars and asphalt, etc. All those great shock to the lower body activities. Three knee reconstructions, an ankle, both hands. I am a walking medical experiment...
You for got to mention all those years of soccer...

OP
OP
Eric
Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
You for got to mention all those years of soccer...
Oh yeah, 17 yrs of soccer, osgood schlatters disease in the left knee, in the leg that is 1/2 inch shorter than the right.

Like I said. Well earned pain.....:D

Top Bottom