My COVID-19 Bike - New (to me) V-Strom 650

Bike
2007 ST1300
With the international border with the US remaining closed, and even the possibility that it will be ”inadvisable” to cross the Alberta-BC border this summer, I decided that if I want to do any real roadtripping and moto-camping I would need something that can readily handle gravel and logging roads. I anticipate that the few good motorcycle roads that we have in Alberta will be choked with RV traffic this summer, and the traditional campgrounds will be full to capacity.

So last week I bought a 2007 V-Strom 650, with 55,000 km on the clock, well tricked out with bags, nice Corbin seat and lots of other farkles. I expect that a trip to northern Alberta and perhaps northern BC sand Northwest Territories will be on the agenda. I know its not a true off-road bike, and I’m past the stage when I should be off-roading, but with proper tires it should be good for gravel and poorly maintained roads, of which there are lots around here.

Using many of the skills that I have developed from working on my ST1300 (with lots of help from this site’s members), I have been going through the new bike and so far I have:
  • Flushed and replaced the brake fluid
  • Flushed and replaced the coolant
  • Replaced the fork oil
  • Looked at/felt the front wheel bearing when I had the wheel off (seems fine)
  • Inspected the brake pads
  • Cleaned, lubed the chain and sprockets and adjusted the chain sag
Once parts arrive next week I will remove the tank and:
  • Replace the air filter
  • Replace the spark plugs with new iridium plugs
  • Check the valve clearances (or at least assess how hard getting in to do it will be).
I am not planning on selling the ST until I am too old and weak to push it around the garage. But this summer will probably be the first one where it won’t need a new set of tires, unless the COVID situation changes and I am able to go to the US without having to go into a 14 day quarantine upon return.

As a result of COVID, new “softroading” adventures will be had this summer!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
With the international border with the US remaining closed, and even the possibility that it will be ”inadvisable” to cross the Alberta-BC border this summer, I decided that if I want to do any real roadtripping and moto-camping I would need something that can readily handle gravel and logging roads. I anticipate that the few good motorcycle roads that we have in Alberta will be choked with RV traffic this summer, and the traditional campgrounds will be full to capacity.

So last week I bought a 2007 V-Strom 650, with 55,000 km on the clock, well tricked out with bags, nice Corbin seat and lots of other farkles. I expect that a trip to northern Alberta and perhaps northern BC sand Northwest Territories will be on the agenda. I know its not a true off-road bike, and I’m past the stage when I should be off-roading, but with proper tires it should be good for gravel and poorly maintained roads, of which there are lots around here.

Using many of the skills that I have developed from working on my ST1300 (with lots of help from this site’s members), I have been going through the new bike and so far I have:
  • Flushed and replaced the brake fluid
  • Flushed and replaced the coolant
  • Replaced the fork oil
  • Looked at/felt the front wheel bearing when I had the wheel off (seems fine)
  • Inspected the brake pads
  • Cleaned, lubed the chain and sprockets and adjusted the chain sag
Once parts arrive next week I will remove the tank and:
  • Replace the air filter
  • Replace the spark plugs with new iridium plugs
  • Check the valve clearances (or at least assess how hard getting in to do it will be).
I am not planning on selling the ST until I am too old and weak to push it around the garage. But this summer will probably be the first one where it won’t need a new set of tires, unless the COVID situation changes and I am able to go to the US without having to go into a 14 day quarantine upon return.

As a result of COVID, new “softroading” adventures will be had this summer!
Congrats on your '07 V-Strom.
Hope you have a good summer.

Top Bottom