My first ride on a BMW 1200RT!

I went to BMW - Countryside, Illinois. It was a much better experience than my local Honda dealer, Lake Cycle, Merrillville, Indiana.

I was ultra excited to ride my first BMW 1200RT after reading all the rave reviews. What a MASSIVE letdown it was.

The RT is the first bike in over 20 years of riding I could not wait to get off of. The dealer also had a 2003 Honda ST1300 with low miles, so I figured why not do a back to back comparison since I was there. Bear in mind I knew almost nothing about the ST1300. I own a 1984 GoldWing ( still comfortable for long rides) and a 2005 Yamaha Warrior (thumping v twin beast not good for long rides).

2007 1200RT 15k miles
Pros:
Very nice styling.
Rode smooth
Plenty of power (once moving)
Wind control- very good
No heat from engine on rider.
Cruise control.

Cons:
(bearing in mind the dealer had not pre-serviced this trade in)
I am 5'10" with a 31" standover. Even at lowest seat setting - standover height way to high. Felt like a dirtbike.
Motor and sound - forget it. Sewing machine. Exhaust note, sounds like a scooter.
Foot controls - basically as tiny as a dirtbike. Very awkward.
Overall it felt awkward and a lot like I was riding an enduro bike.
High center of gravity was noticable and odd.

I am dumbfounded since I read so many rabidly positive reviews of the BMW 1200RT online. I just don't get it. I would rather not ride than ride one.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Maybe you need to ride a new one. A lot has changed since 2007. But if you don't, I doubt BMW will mind much.
Mike

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I went to BMW - Countryside, Illinois. It was a much better experience than my local Honda dealer, Lake Cycle, Merrillville, Indiana.

I was ultra excited to ride my first BMW 1200RT after reading all the rave reviews. What a MASSIVE letdown it was.

The RT is the first bike in over 20 years of riding I could not wait to get off of. The dealer also had a 2003 Honda ST1300 with low miles, so I figured why not do a back to back comparison since I was there. Bear in mind I knew almost nothing about the ST1300. I own a 1984 GoldWing ( still comfortable for long rides) and a 2005 Yamaha Warrior (thumping v twin beast not good for long rides).

2007 1200RT 15k miles
Pros:
Very nice styling.
Rode smooth
Plenty of power (once moving)
Wind control- very good
No heat from engine on rider.
Cruise control.

Cons:
(bearing in mind the dealer had not pre-serviced this trade in)
I am 5'10" with a 31" standover. Even at lowest seat setting - standover height way to high. Felt like a dirtbike.
Motor and sound - forget it. Sewing machine. Exhaust note, sounds like a scooter.
Foot controls - basically as tiny as a dirtbike. Very awkward.
Overall it felt awkward and a lot like I was riding an enduro bike.
High center of gravity was noticable and odd.

I am dumbfounded since I read so many rabidly positive reviews of the BMW 1200RT online. I just don't get it. I would rather not ride than ride one.
It's an acquired taste over some decided bit of time. I kept my ST1300 a season and a half. Very nice bike, sold it anyway-time to move on. I averaged a season and a half on most of my others the last 10 yrs. or so, all nice bikes-time to move on. Point being the RT will stay, and be in my estate after I'm gone. I sure didn't feel that way at first. Had to live with it awhile. Also you need a love of twins in general to have a chance for the RT to grow on you. I don't see me replacing it, just rebuilding what's needed. Seat and shocks are pieces I felt/feel the need to upgrade with the RT (shocks only after they are worn out, Ohlins in the future). That's it, the rest makes me very, very happy on both long and short rides. The handling is stellar, the comfort once the seat is dialed is also stellar, the weight just avoids going into porky territory which is important to me, I like six speeds and cruise control, all else is very good, and the engine is a twin which I consider a plus. I could have done with a lower first gear, but I'm used to it now. It's a keeper. Each to his own.

OP
OP
Interesting comments, mczx, but how did the RT compare to the ST1300? Give us a rating for the ST in each of the same categories.

p
Personal ratings 1-10

Style:
RT 8
ST 9 - Honda is just plain lazy for not making this bike look good with the bags off.

Power
RT 6
ST 8

Wind elimination
RT 9
ST 8

Handling - did not find the twisties, did what I could
RT 6
ST 8

Engine smoothness/torque
RT 5
ST 9

Seat height/General comfort
RT 6
ST 8 (if Gold Wing is 10)

If someone gave me an RT for free plus $2000 - I would rather have the free ST.
I personally do not see how anyone can like a 2 cylinder boxer motor. I guess if your into that 1903 motor feel?
I almost feel I need to try a 2010RT or something...must have got a lemon.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I rode a 2003 1150GS Adventure a few months ago w/170,000+ miles on it as my friend wanted to see what the Super Tenere was like.

The GS was surprisingly smooth, comfortable and felt very nice.

I have to believe that RT may have had some issues. Many have test ridden a boxer and did not like it at all. Heck, a week is just a 4 or 6 cylinder boxer motor isn't it.. LOL

When you drop to two cylinders, you're going to get a lot more 'character' out of the bike, my Tenere has a lot of character but I like it, it's a fun bike but nowhere near as smooth as my ST or previous Wings.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I can see being disappointed with your first ride. It took me 3 or 4 demo rides before I bought one and I still wasn't sure.

They are definitely an acquired taste. That being said, once you get it they are a sweet ride.

I agree with most of your comparison scores except for the handling score. One of the reasons I chose the RT over the ST
was the great handling and reduced weight.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
What a MASSIVE letdown it was.

I haven't ridden one in a few years, but the ones I have ridden in the past (mid-90's to early 00's) left me shaking my head as to why anybody would pay so much for so little. They look great on paper, and even on the showroom floor, but on the road they are a big disappointment. And I think I read somewhere that the final drive failures are still an issue they haven't completely fixed. But the people I knew who rode them, absolutely loved them, go figure. Well, at least until they got tired of all the expensive repairs and bought an ST instead.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I just bought a 2012 R1200RT after owning a ST1100 for 12 years. You sit more upright on the RT, arms spread a little more, the engine has a bit of vibration but only noticeable under acceleration, I like the shift from 1 to 2 much better on the RT, less effort to steer, the engine took almost 5,000 km to loosen up and feel peppy before that it did not feel happy to rev. In summary I have not regretted the move, in the last 3 months I have covered over 13,000 km.

Gerhard

Yes, the "camhead" overhead cam engine (2010- on) is a significant improvement. Not a noticeable increase in power but smoother and more responsive. The claim 110 HP, by the way, which is in ST1300 territory, and the RT is more than a hundred pounds lighter. And yes, the boxer motor takes a while to break-in and feel its oats. I'm at 7,000 miles and we are just about there.

pete

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Agree with the break-in. For me, that was unusual coming off the ST which had no break-in and the motor never changed. I'm now at 9000 miles on my RT and it seems to get smoother with every mile. The boxer is a different animal for sure but once you get used to its characteristics I've found it to be quite an enjoyable bike. I took it on a 5400 mile trip and had a chance to really get to know the bike. For me, the ergos such as cruise and ESA make the bike a pure joy. Handling is much better on the RT and I'd have to give a slight advantage to the RTs brakes. Everything else is about equal to the ST, a bike I will always have fond memories of as it is a fine motorcycle for sure.
Mike

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
In May 2011 I had the opportunity to test ride a new 2011 R1200RT. At this point in my motorcycle life I had only ridden a cruiser, which I wasn't happy with, so I was checking out different motorcycle riding styles, i.e., standard, sport, cruiser. When I got on the bike it seemed tall (I'm 5'8", 30" inseam). However, once moving and even when stopping the seat height was not a problem. Riding the bike made me feel as though this is how motorcycling should feel. I found the bike maneuverable and easy to roll side-to-side.

The cruiser I was riding at the time was a Yamaha Roadliner; 750 lbs., big engine, lots of torque and low seat height. Yet, the 1200RT became my bike of choice at that point. Then I started researching it and came across a fellow on the east coast who owns both a R1200RT and an ST1300. Here's his website: http://www.bamarider.com/

Reading his information helped me to decide which bike to look for.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I have just purchased a 2012 Rt after having logged 100000 Km on an St 1100 and 45000 Km on a St 1300. I plan to keep my 1300 but the Rt is a great bike. I feel it betters the Honda in weight,handling, fuel economy,heat and very useful accesories. BMW dealer is 10km away nearest "Honda Powerhouse " is 60Km. Honda's dealer service in Canada ,I live in the Toronto area,is very poor. The engine is an aquired taste but had more than enough power for my needs.

Bike
R1200RT
mczx, I'm thinking you are just used to cruisers and the menatility that flat footing is oh so important. I'm about 1/2" taller than you with a 31" inseam and don't feel uncomfortable being on the balls of my feet at all. As far as handling you probably got one with low tire pressure or something. If the bike was set up right, either you or everyone else is wrong on how well this bike handles, which is more likely?

Bike
2005 ST1300
If the RT sounds like a sewing machine what does the ST SOUND LIKE?

I thought WE had the trademark on that? I think the handling on the RT is WAY better than the ST...It WEIGHS like 100 pounds less?? Biggest flaw the ST has is its fat ASH...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've heard that the ST sounds like a sewing machine. My nephew described it as the outboard motor from hell. (His dad had a boat with a Johnson V4, so he's used to how a V4 sounds.) The RT sounds like a blender.

The K1600GT...that sounds like a Ferrari.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oilheads and Hexheads sound like an old man with pneumonia coughing. That ain't right but it is what it is. The Camhead with that valve in the exhaust system makes more of a "motorcycle" noise when revved out but still makes the coughing noise under 6000 rpm.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I've put miles on both, I'd rate them approximately as below:

Style; --------------------A wash depending on personal taste which is better.

Power; -------------------RT 8 -------ST 9 (once you get used to the short-shift needed and the twin character IF you can like a twin).

Engine smoothness; ----RT 8 -------ST10 (RT is smooth except under strong acceleration and never vibrating enough to bother me, but it is NOT a smooth ACCELERATING engine. The RT is smooth otherwise).

Wind two up; ------------RT 9 -------ST 7 (Speaking of passenger turbulence and back pressure on the ST,
-----------otherwise the RT 9 --------ST8 for the rider only. You don't get quite as much from protection to cooling on the ST, as you get on the RT the RT is particularly cooler in the summer heat, still well protected in the cold)

Handling; ----------------RT10 ------ST 7.5

Heat; ---------------------RT 10 -----ST 7

Weight; ------------------RT 7 -------ST 4

Seat comfort and height; irrelevant as both bikes needed an aftermarket custom seat for me (which allows for both seat height and comfort adjustments while ordering the seat.

Transmission; RT 6 speed with a high first gear, ST 5 speed, depends on what you like.

Suspension; About even stock (though the newer RTs are supposed to be better, I've a 2007). However, the RT can be improved more than the ST due to the ST's non cartridge forks and extra gross weight. the RT's front suspension system works very well and does indeed give feedback as to what the front tire is doing.

General Comfort; --------RT 10 -------ST 9 For my ergo needs the RT is the most comfortable motorcycle in it's variety of uses, I've ever ridden.

Versatility; ----------------RT 8 --------ST 5 (The RT is adept at Slab, Highways, County roads, Country roads, and Dirt roads [I've done small predictable power-slides with the RT on dirt roads, using street tires, and climbed steep gnarly, rough mountain dirt roads, the twin engine's power delivery helps a LOT in the dirt], the ST begins to fall behind as the roads get to County size roads and continues to fall behind at a faster rate as the roads get narrower, tighter, and rougher, especially when it comes to dirt roads, I'd never consider playing that way in the dirt with the ST). The RT weight and plastic body parts stop if from being an adventure bike, but it isn't all that very far away actually on solid dirt.

Pushing around the Garage; well... that's already listed under weight, (except the ST hurts when it pins you against the garage door when backing over a concrete lip DAMHIK) LOL. Not been a problem with the RT. :D

Top Bottom