My IBR

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
While I was under the IBR Social Media blackout I saw several posts on this forum about the IBR, some asking basic questions about format/strategy and others supportive of riders. I can share some of my experiences that will hopefully answer some of those questions.

To provide some context, I have participated in five IBRs in 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2023. I have finished as high as 16th as well as in the bottom half of the pack (ask me about getting sick in the middle of leg 3 in Glacier National Park. Not a pretty story).

First, the Iron Butt Rally is NOT a race. The first one to the finish is definitely NOT going to be the winner, nor is the rider with the fastest average speed. Some people look at the event the same way they look at a NASCAR race and assume that it’s all about going very far very fast and everyone’s goal is to win. This is a very uninformed view of the event.

It is a very large (covering the entire US and Canada this year) scavenger hunt-type exercise. This year, as in most, the event was divided into three legs. Leg one: Pittsburgh to Tulsa, leg two: Tulsa to Denver, and leg 3 Denver back to Pittsburgh. Legs one and two were two and a half days each, with leg three being the remainder of the 11 days. The night before leg 1 riders receive a rally book describing the various bonus locations and directing what the rider needs to do to achieve that bonus. Typically, this is a photo of an object including your rally flag and/or motorcycle. Other times it is to buy a trinket, get a receipt from a location, etc. At the start of legs 2 and 3 the riders receive the same information at 4am at the start of the leg. Riders also receive several electronic files via email (in various formats (gpx txt kml csv). Riders will need to use two of these files as one will contain the bonus code and the location coordinates and the second will contain the bonus code and the points associated with that bonus. Riders must combine these files and get the information into a routing program (most riders use Basecamp) with a coding system (colored flags, dots, etc) that indicate the points, time availability, or any restriction on the bonus. From there you take the allotted time, subtract the amount of time you think you need to sleep, gas up, care for your bio needs, etc. and then take the available riding time and see what combination of bonuses you can score in that time. There will sometimes be combo bonuses (score the statue of liberty AND the Santa Monica pier for an additional XXX points) or a theme where collections of bonus locations can add additional points (this year it was fast food joints laid out on a bingo card and if you scored all the fast food places in a column, row, or the entire card you would score a combo bonus). And then of course you need to make it to the checkpoint prior to the close of the leg to avoid being time barred. Easy peasy.

This year there were bonuses that were only available on one leg and others that were available rally-wide.

There are a variety of riders and they are riding different rallies. This is the rally within the rally. I like to think of it as riders in three classes: X, Y, and Z. X riders would include rookies and some vets who view the rally as an epic adventure. Can I do it? Can I be a finisher in the toughest motorcycle rally in the world? These riders may never come back for a second bite at the apple and will see finishing the rally as a great achievement and brag to friends and family (and tell their grandkids) about the epic ride they took. Getting their three digit IBA number is the primary goal, along with having some fun and seeing things they didn’t know existed.

Y Riders are vets and some rookies who have the talent to do well in the rally, that being a gold level finish, top 20 or even a top ten podium finish. They may be riding for those goals or not. Alternately, they may choose their route based on where they want to go (the epic Yellow Knife adventure) weather they want to avoid (no desert SouthWest for me!) or where they want to avoid (no NY city for me!).

Z Riders are in it to win it. In every field of 100 riders there are probably 20 who are riding with the primary goal of being in the top ten and a possible win. Occasionally this group will include a rookie or two, but these are usually battle tested vets on a mission. Their choice of routes is entirely dictated by the points available and they will go anywhere, into any weather, as far as it takes, in order to do well.

There are other riders with different priorities. It might be a goal of being the oldest finisher ever, or to survive having a spouse or child as a pillion for 11 days of hard riding. The goal might be to make healthy decisions or to ensure a safe return to a good life without a moose encounter or making use of your Medjet insurance. Or the goal might be to place ahead of your friend who is also in the rally. Finishing position means little whereas the battle is against the minimum points to be a finisher.

Personally, in my five IBR appearances I have been in each of these classes of riders as my goals have changed each time I have ridden. Upon returning home I am asked by my family and friends about my finishing place and I try to explain that finishing place isn’t really the point except for the Z Riders (and yes there were a couple of years when far too much of my emphasis was placed on finishing position).

If there is any interest I can say more about my own experience or talk about what I say (with names withheld to protect both the innocent and guilty).

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks Bob for the insightful tidbits. I think lots of folks see the IBR as the "Cannonball Run" of motorcycles, which it isn't.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks that was very insightful. It answered questions I wouldn’t have thought of asking. Would like to ask how you keep going on the 7th day of the ride for example?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for that insight!
I've followed the IBR for over 20 years, having met John Harrison back years ago when we were in the same sportbike club.
I've spoken to him several times, he's worked on farkling some of my rides, I've met his family (he lives only a few miles from me in town), and he rescued me on a club trip to T.W.O. when my Blackbird puked it's rectifier.
I'm no expert, but follow it every other year and subscribe to the ldrlist on email.
John was my first peek into the Big Dance, and I have immense respect for all who have entered any of them. I've seen many of his bikes (seems he changed rides for a while, like some of us change socks.)
It truly IS an elite and eclectic group of men AND women.
"If I had to explain why, then you wouldn't understand" and as you said, everyone has their own personal reasons.
I guess I'll admit I'm an IBR fan boy, and I'm OK with it.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks that was very insightful. It answered questions I wouldn’t have thought of asking. Would like to ask how you keep going on the 7th day of the ride for example?
That's a great question. I've mentored several rookie riders and they usually say that the best piece of advice I have given is this:

It's day 8. You are beyond fatigued, are fighting a huge sleep debt, it's 2 am and your riding in a wrath of god thunderstorm. It's cold. You know that if you turn toward home you can be in your own warm bed in a couple of hours, or you can keep going. What are you going to tell yourself? What reason will you have to persevere? You need to have an answer for yourself at oh dark thirty when it has long ceased being fun. It doesn't have to be a good reason, or a logical one. But it has to be one you believe in.

On one of my IBRs I had such a moment near the Mo/Ks line and I said to myself (and god): Give me some kind of sign! In a few minutes one appeared -- on a billboard no less -- John Wayne's head in his Rio Lobo outfit with the quote: "I don't much like quitters, son." Holy *****! Now that's a sign.

On one of the Butt Lites I had a broken shock near the canadian border and was riding around on a pogo ST. I called my wife and said I'm dropping out, I'm coming home. After a long pause, she said, "In all the time I've known you you've never quit anything." Talk about reaching down into your soul. I rode to the checkpoint and changed the shock at midnight under a parking lot light, and finished the rally. Sometimes the reason you need comes from another person. :)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
If there is any interest I can say more about my own experience or talk about what I say (with names withheld to protect both the innocent and guilty).
Of course there is! As you have the inclination and the time I'd like to hear about your adventure . . . your thoughts on getting ready for the rally, how to eat during the rally, planning thoughts at the beginning of each leg . . .

I really enjoyed your initial posting; it hit home for me. My goal in the 2011 ride was to finish, finish safely, and I'd be glad if I finished in the top 50% of the rookies. The last item, as you've described, since this isn't a race and you have no idea how the other riders are doing (other than standings at the end of each leg), is just an after the fact point of interest.

Shuey

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Five IBR's! Impressive to say the least. Congratulations to you Bob.

I am very well aware of the IBR. I have done many very long distance rides so I can appreciate what it takes to accomplish this. None of my rides have ever even come close to approaching what an IBR must be like, so I have great respect for anyone who even attempts it let alone successfully completes it.

I have never followed the IBR closely enough to get in to the details of what it actually takes to be a top contender, or to know how the scoring really works for or against a rider, so the below question is based on my ignorance.
The first one to the finish is definitely NOT going to be the winner, nor is the rider with the fastest average speed.
Is there no way whatsoever that neither of the above can happen, as in completely impossible?

I assume that whoever finishes first has forfeited to many bonus points to get there first, so this is why they can't win?
Why does a high average speed work against a contestant? Is it because the number of stops, and the amount of time that must be spent stopped at each location, in order to get the number of bonus points needed to win places to high a cost on average speed?

Shuey- I would be interested in your response in addition to what Bob has to say. Your IBR experiences are always an interesting read.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
@jodog @Shuey How much over the posted speed limits on the various roads one can borrow on an IBR adventure are you “allowed” to go before you get a warning or worse, penalized for your speeding sins?

What’s the penalty and is the juice sometimes worth the squeeze?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Andrew,

I think for the most part you accurately answered your own questions. Finishing first (earliest) means several hours of riding time were given up. Generally, 3 hours of time that the leg end scoring is open and an additional 2 hours with penalty points accruing . . . 5 hours of possible riding and bonus gathering time. You can go a long way in 5 hours. Notice that Jim Owens finished Leg three in the penalty window, loosing points, as did the 2nd place finisher, and if 12 minutes later Jim would have been in 2nd place instead. Why so late? They saw a way to earn more bonus points than they were going to loose. All part of the puzzle solving equation.

I'll disagree with jodog on "the rider with the fastest average speed" is definitely not going to be the winner . . . in the realm of possibilities, but I'd give it a less than 1% chance of occurring. In a short day rally it can make a difference, in an 11 day rally (just my own opinion here) you burn out, wear out, become less safe and more addlebrained (think Day 7 and on). You can't maintain that kind of higher adrenaline high speed over any long period of time without cost. It just wears you out mentally and physically. Some can handle that kind of stress better than others, youth certainly seems to be a factor, but in general, it takes a LOT of higher speed time to effect a multi-day speed average. The IBR is more the tortoise and the hare story. Generally, the hare doesn't make it to the finish.

After all that rambling, with the advances in tracking that have come about with all riders being required to have SpotWalla tracking that shows speed, the IBR staff are watching. Hopefully jodog can fill us in on the guidance that was given this year.

I'll look forward to jodog's input.

Shuey

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Of course there is! As you have the inclination and the time I'd like to hear about your adventure . . . your thoughts on getting ready for the rally, how to eat during the rally, planning thoughts at the beginning of each leg . . .

I really enjoyed your initial posting; it hit home for me. My goal in the 2011 ride was to finish, finish safely, and I'd be glad if I finished in the top 50% of the rookies. The last item, as you've described, since this isn't a race and you have no idea how the other riders are doing (other than standings at the end of each leg), is just an after the fact point of interest.

Shuey
How to prepare for the IBR? Let me know when you find out. The obvious is to get in better physical shape, make your bike as comfortable as it can be, do as many long days (1000+ miles) in a row as you can, and ride in heat and storms. Practice your routing using old rallies bonus lists. Plan for the unexpected (how do you do that?) For the '23 IBR I broke most of those. Hadn't ridden a 1000 day in over a year, hadn't ridden any multiday rides, and was in pretty bad physical shape.
I think the best preparation would be to make sure you're a pilot. Seriously, pilots have great logistical planning skill sets and for whatever reason pilots don't seem to need sleep. Are low-sleep-need people more likely to be picked for pilot programs or does the program teach them to not need sleep? I don't know, but their ability to ride without sleep is really really deeply annoying.

Sleep is of course the limiting factor. We would all be top ten contenders if we didn't suffer from fatigue or need to sleep. IBR winners, at least these days, ride several stretches of 36 hours in the saddle. The top ten only stay in hotels at the checkpoints -- all other nights are "naps" on picnic tables for a couple of hours at a time. The winner this year averaged above 1300 miles per day. Doesn't leave a lot of gas/bonus/bio/sleep time does it?

As for eating, I typically eat on the bike except for a meal at the end of the day. Jerky and granola are staples. Some like trail mix, which I cannot stand. Several small meals are preferable to a large one. Typically 30 min to an hour after a larger meal or one with a Coke the nods set in. More than once the entire day was jerky/granola/gatorade. The correct diet is the one that works for your body.

The route planning was pretty straightforward and easy. Once you have a map of plotted bonus locations it was obvious where the points were and where you needed to go to be a big dog. In Leg 1 it was Bar Harbor Maine, in Leg 2 the Santa Monica Pier. In leg three the winner left Denver went to Seattle, swept down the entire west coast then headed across the south and up to NY City before heading back to Pittsburgh. Basically hoover-up the entire country. All well and good if you can ride that route in the second half of an 11 day fatigue fest. My own routing never followed the points. I went where I wanted to go. I decided before the rally that I wasn't going to LA or NY no matter how many points were there. This is probably my last IBR and I didn't want to spend it fighting the Holland Tunnel. I also didn't want to go to the desert SW since I hadn't ridden in anything over 85 deg in over a year. It would fry me. Also, I had a front tire that I did know know would make it all the way through the rally (Metzler me888) having never ridden on one before, and I know that the SW tends to chew rubber. So I was looking to ride Canada and the upper midwest and west, which I did. I got to Nova Scotia which was a goal. I also rode through a crap load of rain which pretty much every one in the rally did.

As for competition, the RM tells you before each leg how many points you should have on that leg to be on pace to be a finisher. For leg one it was 12,000 and by the end of leg 2 36000. The total to be a finisher was 80k. Were I trying for a top 10 my routing would have looked nothing like what I did in this rally.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
@jodog @Shuey How much over the posted speed limits on the various roads one can borrow on an IBR adventure are you “allowed” to go before you get a warning or worse, penalized for your speeding sins?

What’s the penalty and is the juice sometimes worth the squeeze?
In my humble opinion, if you are riding very high speeds you are an idiot. There is no reward in the IBR that is worth that risk, including winning. This brings up the whole idea of the risk/reward equation which is worth talking about. But to answer your question, 19 miles over the speed limit over several Spot track pings will bring wrath and condemnation your way. The penalty is not set, but you could range from losing your tracking bonus (1000 points per leg) to outright disqualification. The IBR staff are riders and they know that you might need to hit 100 passing a semi and that average speeds (keeping with traffic) are different crossing Nebraska on I80 than they are on an interstate in Pennsylvania. That is taken into account, but there is a strong emphasis on safety (rightly so) and if you are thinking you need to ride 95 mph you need to rethink that. Shuey is correct that speed increases the fatigue load. Of course you think that the faster you ride the more miles you can pack into a day but when looking at an 11 day event you have to manage the fatigue level and sleep debt. There is a saying in the IBA "Stop to go farther" which may seem counter-intuitive but sometimes you need to pull over, walk for a minute, clean out the sweat from around your eyes (it is amazing how much this can help), put in some eye drops, eat a granola bar, and back on the bike and instead of feeling like you are going to fall asleep on the bike you're ready to turn out another 200 miles. It's about maintaining the wheels turning rather than speeding and then having to stop completely. Sort of like the tortoise and the hare, except that the tortoise isn't going to win either because you do need to make REASONABLE good time.
As for risk/reward, you need to decide what kind of risks are reasonable to you and what you get for it. There is no prize money for winning and no one will remember who was in the top ten a couple of week from now. So do you want to stretch your route to grab that juicy big point bonus knowing that it is going to cause you to ride 1500 miles on the last day of the leg meaning you are going to have to ride through the night no matter how tired you are in order to reach the checkpoint/finish before being time barred? I can tell you from experience how anxiety filled and terrible if feels to have to push yourself beyond what you know is good sense and well beyond what is safe in order to score more points. I've done it.
The RM tells every one every year that riding the IBR is a completely selfish act. Not only do you put yourself at risk but your put your friends and family at risk as well. What happens if you die or are long term hospitalized because you rode beyond your limits and didn't get lucky? What kind of hole does it put in the lives of your spouse, grand kids, kids if you go down? How do you balance that risk against the rewards? The ONLY rewards are your own competitive and ego needs.
The riders of the IBR are a fabulous collection of insano-s and wack jobs who can do amazing things and have unbridled spirits and I am very happy to be one of them. But to be competitive in the IBR and certainly to make a top ten run you have to be willing to make unhealthy choices. Repeatedly. And know you are choosing something unhealthy or dangerous at the time you are doing it. I think after riding multiple IBRs that risk reward equation changes and the rewards become less shiny and the risks more in focus.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I agree with . . . all of it Bob! Thanks.

I was laughing out loud when reading your "pilot" notes. :rofl1:

Shuey

Reactions: Obo

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
OK, I'm in no position to dazzle anyone with my IBR brilliance, especially following these two who have BTDT...
But I'll just toss this out there, for those asking / wondering about speed / miles / finish place:
It is fascinating to review the scoring numbers, and look at the accumulated points / finish status versus miles ridden.
This is the difference in the minds of top finishers, and other contestants.
Lower miles with higher points shows the strategy and wisdom of these riders.
In my humble opinion.
As @jodog mentioned, it's risk / reward and cost / benefit. Points per mile shows the efficiency of some of these mile-eaters.
It's just an amazing contest, and then for another paradigm, just imagine the minds that plot out the theme and the bonii for this deal, every 2 years.
A breed apart from us mere riders.
With respct.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lower miles with higher points shows the strategy and wisdom of these riders.
Some rallies are efficiency rallies while others are brute force rallies. Typically the IBR has been a brute force rally with high placement being synonymous with big miles to big bonuses. These days the winner must be as efficient as possible AND employ brute force mileage. That is, the rider has to be both smart AND an animal. No winner of the IBR has had the most efficient route.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am really hoping Jim Abbott will chime in here. He has a great story about suffering TWO bent rims in Rock Springs WY with an unbelievable rescue and ride to the checkpoint before time elapsed. Very impressive. And Mr. Gallant, you have more to add to this discussion too I think.

Last edited:
One thing I learned on this IBR is that New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are bigger than you might think.
Yup. I bit off a lot of Nova Scotia/Cape Breton in 2013 and had to do some rerouting (with no laptop, which had died) and found myself in 72nd place at the checkpoint. Thanks to escalating point values in legs 2 and 3, I greatly improved my standing.

I am really hoping Jim Abbott will chime in here. He has a great story about suffering TWO bent rims in Rock Springs WY with an unbelievable rescue and ride to the checkpoint before time elapsed. Very impressive. And Mr. Gallant, you have more to add to this discussion too I think.
I will likely have a few minutes tomorrow to spin that yarn. The planets really lined up for me!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think the best preparation would be to make sure you're a pilot.
I would have thought medical school and a surgery residency would prepare you for working/concentrating while exhausted. On the other hand, a surgeon does not have to know how to navigate to the OR...he can follow the painted stripe on the floor.

What really astounds me, are some of the repairs done during the rally. Ted Capling manged to change his engine on the side of the road (or maybe in a parking lot) and still finished. Presumably he did not have said spare engine on the back of his bike and needed to wait for it. @SupraSabre drove roughly 400 miles with wheels for another competitor who was probably not covering much ground (sleep time, I guess). How do contestants change their routing on the fly? While driving or do you pull over for half an hour, grab a picnic table and furiously map changes on your laptop? Can a contestant call family/friends and ask them to search for nearby dealerships and phone ahead, pleading with the dealer to provide assistance even though it might be the owner's 12th family reunion that he has to abandon?

Top Bottom