My leak saga

Bike
St1300
I have chased leaks/smells like everyone else, my leaks were so minor that I used a 1/4 of a jug of antifreeze a year (about 9000 km) no biggie, and not a great cost.

This year a few drop would appear underneath while parked, it has grown in amount, but after 5000km this year, only a 1/4 jug of fluid has been used.

in the last 2 weeks, I have a small puddle that forms over night when cold, and seems to continue wether I start the bike or not, so a steady cold leak.

today I pulled panels, and rad, tightened everything, they seemed quite loose. Put rad in, and ran a test, got a small leak under the waterpump, a very slow stream, that never makes the ground over the hot engine.

While in the "V" I could see no real sign of leaks.

Could this be the water pump, any thoughts would be great!

Attachments

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
The leak appears to be from the square hole like mine. Here is my leak https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?142739-Add-my-bike-to-the-LEAKS-%28&highlight= In the #1 post 4th picture is a good picture of the square hole and the round hole. The square hole is from the V (right behind the thermostat). The round hole is for the water pump. I removed the air box and throttle body to remove and clean all of the hoses. I even replaced the thermostat and O ring that was not leaking. I changed it to prevent future problems with the thermostat. I even washed the remaining antifreeze in the V to start fresh. I put it all back together and the leak was cured...

Have fun..

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It is time to pull the bike apart and replace all of your hoses, "O" rings and thermostat. There is no short cut that will fix it.

Top Bottom