My nagging wife

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
After much nagging from my wonderful wife, who readily reminded me I was not getting any younger, I gave myself a birthday present. A new RT.
Happy birthday to me! :run1:
KBYG3289[1].JPG

I had been kicking the idea of a new ride around for some time. When Mellow (among others) got his new RT, it really started turning the wheels in my brain.
I picked it up yesterday and have put about 150 miles on it so far. It's a bit different than the ST, it'll take some getting use to. (I'm not too concerned,;))
IMG_5896.JPG
It will be hard to get rid of the ST ! :( Now if we can just make this site ST/BMW-Owners.com :)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Happy birthday to you.

It's a bit different from the ST ? Having been going through a similar thought process over the last couple of years, and aging at almost exactly the same rate as you (one day at a time), that difference is the bit that I am interested in.

Your thoughts and feelings that crop up - before you get used to it and everything becomes second nature - well, I would enjoy reading those.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I was out talking to a friend of mine at one of the places I work, he's got a Yamaha that he picked up a year or two ago, keeps it there, goes for a rip during the last part of his lunch break, don't know what it is exactly, will be back next week and check but it's about 550 lbs, water cooled V4 and he likes it quite a bit, when I stopped for lunch I could hear him tearing off through traffic it sounds amazing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was out talking to a friend of mine at one of the places I work, he's got a Yamaha that he picked up a year or two ago, keeps it there, goes for a rip during the last part of his lunch break, don't know what it is exactly, will be back next week and check but it's about 550 lbs, water cooled V4 and he likes it quite a bit, when I stopped for lunch I could hear him tearing off through traffic it sounds amazing.
Yamaha v-4.... probably the only thing it could be is a vmax

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Happy birthday to you.

It's a bit different from the ST ? Having been going through a similar thought process over the last couple of years, and aging at almost exactly the same rate as you (one day at a time), that difference is the bit that I am interested in.

Your thoughts and feelings that crop up - before you get used to it and everything becomes second nature - well, I would enjoy reading those.
I think the main difference is the ergonomics, it's a bit odd at first but after you start riding it you forget about it. It's not uncomfortable and in fact I don't have to straighten out my legs or stand on my pegs to each up the knee pressure/angles I've had to do on previous bikes. For me, that's the only weird thing that goes to the top of a short list of things to get used to.

I didn't even know the headlight auto-levels, I knew I had the adaptive headlight that pivots when you're in the twisties but @paulcb mentioned my headlight moved when I turned on the bike and I did some more reading. It auto-levels so if you have a passenger or gear or whatever, it makes sure the headlight is at the same angle.

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Happy Birthday and congrats! Having owned a GS, only then did I actually understand and appreciate BMW's engineering. Enjoy! Jevers

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Happy birthday and congrats on the new RT... I've heard nothing but good about them.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
After much nagging from my wonderful wife, who readily reminded me I was not getting any younger, I gave myself a birthday present. A new RT.
KBYG3289[1].JPG

I had been kicking the idea of a new ride around for some time. When Mellow (among others) got his new RT, it really started turning the wheels in my brain.
I picked it up yesterday and have put about 150 miles on it so far. It's a bit different than the ST, it'll take some getting use to. (I'm not too concerned,;))
IMG_5896.JPG
It will be hard to get rid of the ST ! :( Now if we can just make this site ST/BMW-Owners.com :)
Beautiful. That engine has character :thumb:. Happy birthday. Just a reminder, you're not getting any younger....

Bike
2010 ST1300
KBYG3289[1].JPG

IMG_5896.JPG
Amazing how realistic that dealers backdrop looks. :rofl1: nice looking ride.

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
Happy birthday to you.

First thoughts, I felt right at home in the pilot seat. Very natural. With the seat in the high position, I can easily flatfoot when stopped. (I'm 5'11")
I'm thinking some kind of 'bar-backs' may be in order. I felt I was up against the tank with lots of seat behind me.
Not sure what's available.

For me, it feels like you ride 'in' the bike like the ST, as opposed to 'on' the bike like my friends FJR.

The wind protection is better than the ST, almost too good? Riding yesterday in 66 degree weather, I felt warm, wearing riding jeans, long sleeve turtle neck shirt, T-shirt, and mesh jacket (sans liner). Right (exhaust side) foot felt warm (or is it just my imagination?)

It's easy to ride standing up. Tach and speedo are visible looking down.

I've only taken it up to about 6K RPM (redline 9k), but if feels like it has more power than the ST. I wonder if some of that may be the hearty exhaust note? (Much louder than the ST)
Possibly because of the exhaust note, I always feel the need to upshift, even though The engine is only running 3500 RPM. I think it will be that you will almost never be in the 'wrong' gear, but just not in the most 'optimum' gear, just like the ST.

Of the @150 miles, 14 mile were on the freeway to get home. The rest were all on the local canyons. The bike falls into the turns like the ST, but it holds the line much better than the ST. On the ST, I always had to make line corrections. (ST bike setup?)

The RT has two tiny pockets in the fairing. The ST's are much larger and useful.
The panniers are much larger on the outside, than the inside.
The panniers are wide. Great care to throw a leg over. Already one black scuff mark and counting.

No built in Sat/Nav on the RT. :mad: Appears you must use your cellphone and data. Unfortunately(?), most of my riding does not receive cell service.
The bike has a built in radio. Don't have a known need for that. (Maybe helps with Sat/Nav?) Again, most riding, no radio reception.

As Mellow mentioned, the side stand is hard to find and raise up.

Chrome exhaust. Much prefer the ST's SS.

It has CC, bit I miss the ST's Go-Cruise throttle lock for those few seconds I want to relax/flex my hand. I don't want to constantly set and reset the CC. That may be my first farkle.
It has Hill Assist?, which I think will come in handy while stopped at hilly places other than stop signs/lights. Too bad it only functions with the engine running. I will miss the ST's Pendle parking brake. (A great product.)

All in all, I think I'll really enjoy this bike.

Now to find the ST a good home.

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
that's abuse
Abuse me! Abuse me! :)

Beautiful. That engine has character :thumb:. Happy birthday. Just a reminder, you're not getting any younger....
Yea, character. It sounds like my John Deere lawnmower. Just kidding, I have a Craftsman! :rofl1:
It's definitely sounds and feels different than the smoothness of the ST. :)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow - yes, thank you for that. I'm glad you mentioned the exhausts. My ST1100 exhaust silencers pipes and collector would last for about 30,000 miles - but I was riding in all weathers on UK salty roads. I've been really spoiled by the ST1300 stainles steel.

I'm 6'4" - 33" inside leg / inseam. Joe mentioned that he didn't feelt he need to stand on the pegs, or stretch his legs when riding. This is becoming a new issue for me as my legs are currently aging faster than my brain. My brain thinks I am still 18. My legs have started to argue. Cycling helps, but I reckon all that I can do is put off the inevitable. Or buy a bike that doesn't give me these problems.

I think I can see this plot developing.

Ah - but does it run on petrol ?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm 6'4" - 33" inside leg / inseam. Joe mentioned that he didn't feelt he need to stand on the pegs, or stretch his legs when riding. This is becoming a new issue for me as my legs are currently aging faster than my brain. My brain thinks I am still 18. My legs have started to argue.
I'm 6'3", equally leggy, and my knees and hips aren't as compliant as they used to be. If I may recommend:

https://psr-usa.com/sport-touring/highway-blades/st1300-02-13-highway-blade-black.html#.YkdqvVUpDmg

They're not cheap, but without them I wouldn't be able to ride more than an hour or so.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow - yes, thank you for that. I'm glad you mentioned the exhausts. My ST1100 exhaust silencers pipes and collector would last for about 30,000 miles - but I was riding in all weathers on UK salty roads. I've been really spoiled by the ST1300 stainles steel.

I'm 6'4" - 33" inside leg / inseam. Joe mentioned that he didn't feelt he need to stand on the pegs, or stretch his legs when riding. This is becoming a new issue for me as my legs are currently aging faster than my brain. My brain thinks I am still 18. My legs have started to argue. Cycling helps, but I reckon all that I can do is put off the inevitable. Or buy a bike that doesn't give me these problems.

I think I can see this plot developing.

Ah - but does it run on petrol ?
John, The RT, like the ST has an adjustable seat, and BMW's are made for tall riders. Go to a dealer's and sit on one. You won't know how it feels by posting on this forum. (Grin, yes, I'm trying to get you to go do some practical research....)

And it does run on petrol. But not the Russian variety.

What will we all do if you get a Beemer and start spending your time learning the intricacies of that bike?

Top Bottom