My Next Touring Machine-K1600

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
First off I loved my ST and I have so many great memories of it with so many friends on this site.
Well it has been about two months since I sold my ST and I think I found it's replacement after a ride today. I'm pretty sure that I will be riding a 2012BMW K1600 GT before too long. I already secured financing so the decision is pretty much done.
What a machine with everything you and I have waited for Honda to bring to us over the years and have yet to deliver.
I rode the GTL version today over Ortega and even got in some slab time in and it is truly an amazing,smooth machine with gusto when you need it. I made a pass today and when I started I was in 5th. and never had to shift to bring on the power to overcome the vehicle in a matter of flick of the throttle. The only thing I have left to do is to break the news to my significant other that my search is over and I need to stick my hand in the cookie jar.
One final comment about this site, I joined the K1600 forum and I have received a few introduction responses about how much some of the converts still hang out here because of the great people here and the friendliness of it's members. I will continue to support this site and lurk as I have for the last seven years. I look forward to catching up to those of you who I have ridden with in the past and look forward to riding with in the future. WeSToc is by far one of the best events around and we are already making our route to Sooke so I look forward to particiapting next year.
Joe

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Re: My Next Touring Machine

Ozark -- Good Choice -Good Luck ----- Demoed a GT at Bentonville BMW in March. Real nice. Going to give the TROPHY a good look when it finally comes out. Can't own em all ---but it's fun trying. LOL S B

Bike
2010 st1300

after 2 decades of beemers, be prepared for serviced costs and small dealer base, why i switched to honda

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Congratulations on a well considered decision.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

I took a 20-mile ride on a GT and came away impressed. That motor...holy freaking Holstein cow! A bigger bike and more techno-wiz-bang than I want, and some BMW quirks, but I can see why people like it.

Enjoy yours...may you find a way to avoid what seems will be inevitable speeding tickets!

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #

Congrats on the decision Ozark Rider!

I was going to call you today and find out how the test ride went. Sounds like you got to log enough miles on it in the twisties and slab to finalize your decision. I'm looking forward to seeing that maroon GT!

I enjoyed my test ride on the same GTL yesterday and can see why you were impressed. While I did provide some feedback after my ride (thanks Dr. D), I realized that I said nothing about vibrations - simply put, there are NONE. That is by far the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. Great looks, awesome exhaust note, ample power whenever you need it, comfortable seat, great ergos, too much techno gadgetry to get my mind around in a 15-minute ride, low seat, and amazing handling for such a large bike.

The bike did seem much larger in person than in the pictures though and it reminded me a bit of the old LT, so I was pleasantly surprised at how light-footed it felt under way. The fly-by-wire throttle would take a bit of getting used to, as the throttle response was actually too instantaneous for me, but I know it was set to an aggressive setting. (How cool is it that you can actually change the bike's character a myriad of ways with the flick of a switch?) The windshield seemed too high for me though, as the top of it was almost in my line of sight on the down position, but raising it a couple of inches got absolutely calm air!

I think we're going to have to start adding to the "sport-touring" designation as we get more bikes in this segment. IMO, the GTL is not a sport-touring bike but it's also no Goldwing. I think I'd characterize it as a touring bike with sporting prowess. The GT version of the bike may be a luxury sport-touring bike. The RT is probably a pure sport-touring bike.

Not sure how I'd label my Feejer, but I'm keeping her. I told Marilyn that my riding buddies are getting new bikes, but that I was going to be fiscally conserative and only get a new Corbin Smuggler for my "older, outdated" bike. There was no argument to my logic, so I guess I need to thank you guys for getting new bikes!

I'm really looking forward to the ride to WeSTOC and beyond next summer.

Rick

Last edited:
Good choice on bikes. The K1600 is one heck of machine. Enjoy & let us know how things work out. Don't let the lack of dealers put you off. The ones out there are light years ahead of most Honda dealers.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I took my RT to the dealer last Friday to have the valves checked and only spent 78 bucks with tax. So far my dealer experience has been favorable with BMW. More so than my local Honda dealer and I like them ok. I've got 10K on the bike and really like it.

Good luck with your 1600. You are certainly not alone in the jumping from the Honda ship.
Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
Rick, I will be placing the call today to talk with the dealer about specifics. I'm still up in the air about whether to go with GT or GTL. If I go GT then I have quite a few add ons tho purchase that would probably exceed the cost of the GTL. Anyway I will have the numbers crunched both ways and make my decision from there. Like you said the GTL was very nimble, more so than one would think by looking at it in person. I was really surprised about the weight distribution and much easier it came off the stand compared to how my ST was.
Taking it over Ortega was a lot of fun and it hugged the corners and the road amazingly well.
I will keep you posted
Booger man and Bug Dr. that is good to hear about the dealer experiance. The dealer I will be working with also has a very good reputation with 100 years of history behind it so I my summation is my experiance will be as yours has been.
Thanks again for all the input and feedback .
Joe

Bike
BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Wow, just found this thread. Glad I could provide the smiles, about 65 of them if I recall the ODO. Rick the last WeSTOC version looks to be the one!
Once you got the "Techno" areas down it just doesn't seem so daunting. Audio is great, last night hooked (plugged in) USB MP3, BMW hooked up without problems.

Looking forward to Westoc 2013

Don

Top Bottom