My st 2004..Can you help me?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I hope instead that I must only tighten the clamps.
I generally try the fastest, easiest approaches first unless I know the problem is more deep-seated. This falls into that category.

... tightening the OEM hose clamps will might solve your problem but don't over do it - they are narrow and can cut the rubber. And eventually they will leak again.
@SMSW is right on both counts (with my minor alteration). You don't want to really bear down on the hose clamp- snug them firmly but gently. His other suggestion- changing the screw-type band clamp for a constant-tension type- is an even better solution but it takes more work to implement.

If it were me, I'd start with snugging the existing clamps, and simultaneously order fresh hoses and a supply of constant tension clamps so that they would be on hand and ready for a winter maintenance project.

I've gotten the sense that you are not especially confident in your mechanical skills. Rest assured that what we're talking about is not hard to do- time-consuming, yes, inconvenient without a lift table absolutely, but entirely do-able by even someone like me who has not got a lot of knowledge or experience. You can find all the info you need, including well-illustrated (*) step-by-step instructions- on this site (it may take some searching but all that content is there).

(*- some of the older threads had really good photos to go with them but many of those photos were lost during a recent upgrade to the site software because of where they were stored and how they were connected to the articles. And sometimes people step up to offer matierials directly be private channel.)

Good luck hunting that leak.

OP
OP
Grimmy
Bike
Honda ST 1300
Thank you for the advice.
There is a way to understand and to exclude problems at the water pump/thermostat?This to avoid disassembling the bike for nothing and then run to the workshop because the MAIN PROBLEM Is an other?You are right: I am a very bad mechanical and the Pan merits a big care..

Top Bottom