OP
OP
Tidrick

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
I'm jealous! I have a small piece of me that wants a Black Bird. I looked over VFR Larry's at NatSTOC, 2 years in a row. Everything you read about them smells of power, smoothness, rock steady, good brakes, decent ride position and scary, scary fast. The XX marks the end of an era for Honda in the competition arena. They had the baddest boy on the block and have since chosen not to compete anymore in that arena.

Enjoy it with respect! Congratulations!
Well, as mentioned, the XX has long been a secret evil desire. I am pleasantly surprised at the general comfort level of this machine. I will do a few mods in the nod to accomodating my age-stiffening knees, but it will not take too much.

As to the respect, well, that is CERTAINLY the name of the game with even an ST, but for sure with a Blackbird. It's like having your right hand twisting the rheostat of a high torque electric motor - RIGHT NOW power (and I only tasted about 7k on the tach! :eek: )

Uncle Phil has a great way of addressing this issue. He talks about the line running from the wrist to the ego. Cut that line and things tend to go OK. It's when the ego overrides the sense and sensibilities that t'ings starts going south - and horizontal and end-over and painful - and - well, I suspect we all know how that story goes.

I will admit I was pretty intimidated when we headed out for the test run. It only took a slight wicking input to confirm this bike will DEMAND mature piloting.

I have some additional and better pics I may try to post up a little later. Truly, this bike looks better in person than in the pics. I feel fortunate to have found such a well maintained, low mileage machine this close to home for - what I believe to be - a fairly reasonable cash outlay. And I feel fortunate to have such a loving and tolerant bride! (She found this bike for me after we got serious on the acquisition plan! :bow1:)

OP
OP
Tidrick

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Well, to continue the saga a bit...

One step closer!!!!

- Funds transfer #1 complete - CHECK - - ;)

- Funds transfer #2 - in process

- Call to "come get the bike" - open

- Park "Temptress" in my garage - open

I'm told patience is a virtue. I'm trying to be virtuous... :bow1:

Meantime, here's another little teaser shot...

Attachments

OP
OP
Tidrick

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
:run1:

WOOT!!!!!!!

- Funds transfer #1 complete - CHECK - - :smile:

- Funds transfer #2 - in process (seller's wife "knows someone" and called - verified check is good - call him to get the bike!) - - :hat2:

- Call to "come get the bike" - CHECK - - :yes:

- Park "Temptress" in my garage - CHECK - - :radleak:

I confirmed this morning that our funds are cleared to support the check I wrote on Sunday, called the seller (hoping he would say "come on", but no roll). THEN, whilst sitting down to lunch with friends from work, I get THE call, "When do you want to pick up the bike?"

You'd be proud of me. I stayed cool. I even said, "It's ok - I said we would wait until the check clears." Nope, he says, schedule's crazy this week and he knows everything's good. Well, says I, what time THIS EVENING works for you?? As soon as I hang up, it's a BIG FIST PUMP and "YESSSS!!!" - my buddies are grinning ear to ear.

So the family and I trundle back down to the seller's home. We get there about 25 minutes early (imagine that!) and they aren't home yet. No biggie - they arrive a few minutes later and we close the deal: sign the title over, and get a couple of notarized bills of sale (a neighbor is a Notary Public) and we are good to go - three cool kids, one VERY HAPPY new BB owner - and - one AWESOME WIFE!!! Even the seller's wife was making happy positive comments to my wife while we visited...

Turns out Mrs. Seller knew someone who worked in the bank and called just to make sure the check was good so they could call for us to get the bike. Their schedule was stacked until next week and they knew I was READY! Mr Seller told me he commented to his wife after I left on Sunday that he was happy I was getting the bike - "the right guy" I believe he said because he knows I will take care of her, and appreciate a Blackbird for the unique bike that it is. Cool exchange, in my opinion. We chat a bit, then I gear up and we roll away...

No pic in the garage yet, but here's a shot my son took while bringing The Temptress home. All smiles for this wannabee-turned-for-real Blackbird owner.

Attachments

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
God Keith, you're making me drool all over the front of my shirt. I'll bet that I'm turning a bright shade of green with envy. You're one lucky man! I hope you get years and years of enjoyment out of your new beautiful ride!

Top Bottom