My turn

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well it happened to my this morning in the garage. I had put up the side stand and forgotten, then went to rest it back down and hey, no side stand! And there was no stopping her! Luckily the bike didn't go all the way down because of other crap in the garage (another car, gas cans etc.). But the mirror cover busted off. So I summoned my super strength and righted her back up. Then I am looking at the mirror guard and hey - it just popped off! So I popped it back on. How awesome is that? Nice job Honda engineering.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - a pretty common scenario. When these big girls decide to lie down and relax, it is extremely difficult to stop them - particularly if the fuel tank is full (around 60+ lbs up high) and even moreso if the top box is loaded.

Anyhow, congratulations and welcome to to the club!

Pete

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Of all my bikes, my Super Tenere was the only one I never dropped ... lol.. go figure..

Good you got it over with quick without any major damage or witnesses.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome to the club!
The old forum software had a drop count feature. Mine was up to 15 but the last one was many years ago.
John
Glad to hear from another practiced dropper, Grasshopper. I was over 20 when I sold my ST. It kept getting taller and heavier as I grew older.

I push them around a lot with the kickstand down and after many almost saves I think I am in the habit of toeing the stand before I put it down on the stand...at least until I forget again

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I know - there was NO WAY I was going to stop it! My body just instinctively got out of the way. :D
Which is smart... trying to stop it will just get torn tendons/ligaments or broken bones... The bike will live and start right up.. you, may not start so easily...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I learned that lesson years ago, with my first dualsport bike, was reminded with my second DS, and finally learned to accept it with that tall KTM 950 Adventure -S.
When (not IF but WHEN!) I pick up my GS/A, I know ahead of time what my limitations are. I don't think it's much taller than my ST, but it IS a tad heavier, and we'll be more offroad where foot placement will be even more important.
I've only let the ST down twice, I respect its weight.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't you just love it when it begins to tip away, I always think I can stop it and end up trying to jump over it when I find I can't
When my bike began to take a nap, I felt like it was the pinball flipper and i was the flippee. Got pretty good at rolling when I landed...sometimes even bounding back onto my feet before the roll stopped.

The hardest part for me is I never do these things alone, there is always someone watching. So I really have to at least make it look like I did it on purpose, that can get tough sometimes

Top Bottom