N-500 Filter problem

Help! I installed a N-500 filter as suggested by Curt but I'm not getting any power from it. As per the instructions, I connected green to the fused aux connector from the battery and the red to my MIT-100. The black went to ground under the seat (the seat latch bolt). I checked for power to the filter and continuity before and after, but...nothing:( . Am I misled by the function or could I have received a bad unit from Navone?

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
The wiring hook up as per instructions from the manufacturer? I would question the green wire not being the wire to ground, normally green is ground in 12V wiring, and red is the power wire. :biker:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey John,

It's possible you have a bad unit but how about a simple check. Hook the black to ground on the battery and the green to the positive terminal on the battery. Then use a multimeter and check to see if you have 12V. Then check to see if you grounding point is a good ground. Hook your green wire back to your aux feed and measure again leaving the ground at the battery. If that checks out then you should be able to power the unit.

Let me know if you have measured it with simple bench test using the battery terminals.

Curt

Attachments

OP
OP
Curt,
I had tried the tests you mentioned to confirm the problem wasn't my wiring. I wasn't getting any power through the filter even when connected directly to the battery. Dave said he would personally test the replacement before shipping it.
Thanks for the advice, though.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah I figured I was telling you stuff you already know. It seems like you know what you're doing and the filter isn't brain surgery.

Well I hope the new unit does what you need it to do. What problem are you trying to solve with the filter?

Curt

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That's a strange bit of design on that thing... If there's a ground going in, it would be awful nice to have one coming out as well so the filter is in-lined and you don't have to double up the ground lug at the power source.

--Mark

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
That's a strange bit of design on that thing... If there's a ground going in, it would be awful nice to have one coming out as well so the filter is in-lined and you don't have to double up the ground lug at the power source.

--Mark
Yeah but it wasn't designed for a bike really. I agree though it would be nice to make it so it works more in line.

Curt

OP
OP
I'm trying the filter to eliminate the ticking I hear which corresponds to the engine rpms. You suggested it in an earlier thread a while ago.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm trying the filter to eliminate the ticking I hear which corresponds to the engine rpms. You suggested it in an earlier thread a while ago.
Ok that's what I thought. Where do you run the audio cords? Do they get near the coil at any point? What I'm thinking is that if you're picking it up from RF the filter may not resolve the issue but moving your cables might. The filter is still a good idea though, don't get me wrong. You want clean power at the unit.

Curt

OP
OP
I put the MIT in the left compartment. All the cables are just coiled up in the compartment along with my cell phone. I run the helmet cables straight from the compartment through a corner of the top.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
What I would do is while you're listening to it try pulling all the wiring out one at a time and see if the noise goes away. My guess is that either the noise is coming from RF being induced into the audio cables being that they are coiled up in the pocket. Or it is being picked up by the power to the MIT. Are you going to put the N-500 in the pocket or by the battery? I would be prepared to try both spots.

The other thing you can do is to line the outside of the compartment with aluminum tape and then attach a wire the aluminum tape (soldered if possible) and run the wire to ground. It will act as a shield and ground any RF that hits the outside of the compartment.

Try the filter first though and then let's go from there.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll let you know in 2-3 wks when I get it in the mail....slow boat to China!
I imagine getting stuff to Bosnia is a bit of a wait. You can try some other things though while you're waiting to see if you isolate where you're picking the noise up from.

I would consider temporarily setting up a power wire that is just wired from the battery. Just get a piece of wire and hook it to the battery. Then see if you get the noise. Try different grounding locations. Basically see if you can isolate whether it's from power or ground or from the audio cables and RF. You may be getting it from more than once source so use some time while you're waiting to see if you can isolate the issue more.

Just a suggestion. Maybe you don't want to mess with all of that.

Curt

OP
OP
I originally wired the MIT directly from the battery when I got the noise. The noise is the same with it wired from the aux connector.

If I pull everything out as far away from the motor as I can, I can barely hear the ticking. As soon as I put it back in the compartment, it comes back. I'm not sure if the N-500 will help. I'm thinking about looking for some of the aluminum tape you suggested. That will also have to come from the internet, I doubt I'll find any sold here.

Because the N-500 takes up quite a bit of space, I had planned to put it under the seat in the tool compartment. As you suggest, maybe it would have a better chance at working if I put it in the compartment also. But that would not leave any room for the cell phone...unless I get a RAM mount.........

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok if you're getting it when you pull it away as far as you can but it gets weaker then I'm going to say it's RF. But it sounds like you're getting the RF from a wire that isn't in the box too. I'm not sure you're going to be able to eliminate all of it just by shielding the box. Some people have used aluminum coated insulation. That bubble type insulation. It keeps it cooler because that box does get HOT!! You may want to reconsider putting the unit in there. People have reported frying cellphones and the like by having them in there. But if you insulate it then that might help the heat issues and the RF.

If you want me to send you some tape just let me know and I'll ship you out a roll.

Curt

Top Bottom