National Parks ripoff?

STOC #
First off it is not the senior pass, it is called the "Golden Age Passport". Next month I will have had it for twenty years. When I got mine there was no extra fee, just the $10 bucks. I use it a lot when touring on my '03. In fact , Lassen Volcanic NP is close by and I have a great view of Lassen Peak from my home. One of the nice things about getting old.

Ed
John;
I was careful in the wording of my statement to cover my circumstances only.

I'll be damned, just looked at what I though was my 'Golden Age Passport' .. It says 'Senior Pass' . go figure. May be older than I think.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Used to be Golden Age but they changed it somewhere along the way to Senior Pass. As I told the ranger when I got mine -

"At least I get something for living this long ... " ;-)

And as was said it states on the back 'for one motorcycle'. When I used to buy the annual pass, I got different results at different parks. Most parks would allow two bikes through on it but Big Bend would not. Probably more of a 'ranger to ranger' discretion sort of thing. If you're not an 'old' coot like me eligible for the Senior Pass, the annual pass generally saves you money if you are going through Yellowstone and at least a couple of other parks within a year.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't get it, if you think you aren't getting value just don't go. Why does it matter to you that the money stays in the park system?
+1

"flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity".
And a flame thrower is not needed!

Lol. The whole thread seems kinda "trollish" to me (waits for definition of troll):D but for some reason it's these threads that catch my eye. Like a train wreck, I have to watch, at the very least to see what Joe deletes. :popcorn
How do you know what is deleted? If it never appears, like that tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it, it never existed.

Well, I do think the motorcycle price should be lower but I could be biased... maybe.
Maybe we are all in the same boat here.

Anyway, again, sorry to step on delicate toes.

Rod
I think Rod posted a very provocative thread - and I for one am glad he did.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Oh what the heck, might as well peev some people off. Even though most of you feel that the senior pass is owed to us just because by some dumb luck we have made a certain age. I feel that it is unbelievably cheap. If we paid $100 that would seem more reasonable, all you would need, is to use it four times over the span of the rest of your life and you would be even. Considering that us old folks have the time and ability to use it more often it then becomes down right reasonable even at the higher price.
Camping at half price is just an added incentive. JMHO

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
How do you know what is deleted? If it never appears, like that tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it, it never existed.
Joe's quick but not that quick. And I... am far too easily entertained.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
First off it is not the senior pass, it is called the "Golden Age Passport". Next month I will have had it for twenty years.
Hey Ed, that just means you're an ole fart. The Golden Age passes aren't sold anymore, but the good news is thay're good for life!

From here Nat'l Pk link:
"NOTE:
Golden Access and Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass."

John

Oh what the heck, might as well peev some people off. Even though most of you feel that the senior pass is owed to us just because by some dumb luck we have made a certain age. I feel that it is unbelievably cheap. If we paid $100 that would seem more reasonable, all you would need, is to use it four times over the span of the rest of your life and you would be even. Considering that us old folks have the time and ability to use it more often it then becomes down right reasonable even at the higher price.
Camping at half price is just an added incentive. JMHO
They do take donations.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The Golden Age passes aren't sold anymore, but the good news is thay're good for life!

From here Nat'l Pk link:
"NOTE:
Golden Access and Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass."

John
Yep... now it is just the politically incorrect Senior Pass. Are they different from the Golden times?

Still $10, with a $10 processing fee.
See here.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I really don't care why there's a Senior Pass. I'm just glad we can catch a break now and then. Though sometimes a break isn't really a break: like Senior discounts at Applebee's. I'd rather pay full price somewhere else.

I feel entitled by virtue of the conditions set forth by the program. If anybody's unhappy with that they're certainly welcome to pay full pop when they're eligible for a discount.

$20 and applying online seems to be the way to go just incase we can't get buy passes at the station. I'm still confused about different parks charging fees individually. Does the pass change all that?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I really don't care why there's a Senior Pass. I'm just glad we can catch a break now and then. Though sometimes a break isn't really a break: like Senior discounts at Applebee's. I'd rather pay full price somewhere else.
I agree. I think McDonalds and other fast fooderies offer something like 10? or 15? off a cup of coffee. You have to ask (and hit helps to look ahhhhhh 'old' or they might card you). For a while there, I was embarrassed to ask for the discount at some stores. But a LOT of businesses have unpublished discounts for Seniors. You have to ask. This helps a lot of people.

Ohio has what is called a Golden Buckeye Card that you get at age 58 (I think). It comes with a long list of participating businesses that offer discounts. Personally, I would prefer a society that venerates age and the accompanying 'wisdom'(?) instead of just tossing old people aside and taking advantage of them. But that is another thread, and I don't mean to hijack this one.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
If not already, you will all be in this boat someday. US National Park senior Lifetime pass for 62 yo+ seniors is $10 (plus a $10 processing fee). My wife and I use them.
5 years ago my wife and I were touring the pnw and rode to Glacier. THey too wanted $25.., then the lady says "are either of you 62?" I had just turned 62, so we got the lifetime senior pass for $10 ( don't remember a processing fee). We have used it all over the US it has saved us a ton of money over the last 5 years. Just show the pass and go. Most recently at Ding Darling Bird Sanctuary in FLa.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
don't remember a processing fee
I think the processing fee only applies to online purchase. I wish I'd known about the lifetime pass when I was at Glacier. But I got mine so it's ok.

I recently heard about a five-park tour that sounds like a fun ride. The pass will come in handy.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
It will be my first purchase also........coming up real soon.

Unfortunately (?) I still have 2 years to go. I just turned 60.

My employer even made me an early retirement offer, but I'm not quite ready to take it...

Bike
R1200rt
If not already, you will all be in this boat someday. US National Park senior Lifetime pass for 62 yo+ seniors is $10 (plus a $10 processing fee). My wife and I use them.
you can avoid the $10 processing fee by buying the pass at the gate. $10 with a valid I.D.

Top Bottom