Need a little help. Goodyear Triple Tred

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I know some of you are using this tire, but mine rubs. Anyone have an answer as to why mine rubs and others dont? Yes it is the old style tread TripleTred, not the new all season tire.
2004 (the blue one) ST1300A.

Also, my old MC rear tire was worn more on the left side just off center. Could my right side swing arm shaft housing be bent?

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
can't help with the rubbing, but most riders report more left side wear. I get it, both front & rear, with MC tires; though my CT seems to wear more evenly left to right.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It may be just a little more material in that area from the factory when the swing arm was casted. I had one member PM with the same problem using a Goodyear and a Hankook so he just took a file to that area and that took care of the problem. I am not sure why one would and another one would not.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
it is the old style tread TripleTred, not the new all season tire.
I would guess the older tire is not the same animal as the current one.
Maybe someone can measure the width of the new TT

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
It may be just a little more material in that area from the factory when the swing arm was casted. I had one member PM with the same problem using a Goodyear and a Hankook so he just took a file to that area and that took care of the problem. I am not sure why one would and another one would not.
If this is the case, the Exalto that rubbed on my bike, may not rub on others.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Oh,, okay,, I just assumed that given that it is working for other guys yours must have been wider.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Oh,, okay,, I just assumed that given that it is working for other guys yours must have been wider.
Nope, just that luck thing I have going......lol.

Rub in first photo may have been some from the Exalto I tried. So sharpe and rasp.
IMG_0439[1].jpg

And waiting for my battery for the drill to charge, of course.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
No air - rub
40psi - rub
35psi - rub
30psi - rub

I had no problem with the SS-595 not going to work, I can still get some $ back out of it. But $172 for the GY TT and $30 to mount......this thing is going to work!!!

LOL, even if I have to grind on a $6000 bike.

edit: Dan, this tire has very stiff side walls, all air psi had the same rub.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I would haven have to think there may be some cross section differences between tires of the same make. I know race tires for cars can some big differences in overall height so it would have to carry over to cross section also..

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I had a slight rub from my Pilot Sport A/S Plus when I first mounted it. It went away on its own with out grinding or shaving the side of the tire. I had my mind made up to do one or both to make it work once I had it mounted. I am thinking the tire continued to take shape after being aired up. Ranger362 had the same problem when he mounted a Pilot Sport A/S Plus on his 2004. There must be some differences between tires molds or castings or machine tolerances on our bikes. He took the Michelin off and mounted the GY TT and it fit without rubbing.

If mine was rubbing as slight as it is for HotWheel, I'd run it a while and keep an eye on it, checking for heat. Not saying you should do that though. :D

Top Bottom