Need Experienced Inputs on Luggage Trailer

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Guys, I just completed a 4-day Smokey Mountains camping trip on the ST1300 with 3 other friends. I was space challenged and had used every square inch of room in the two saddle bags, Honda topbox, and still had to use a large drybag on the passenger seat for the tent, sleeping pad, and bag.

I want a UNI-GO trailer. I have read and researched dozens of sights for pull-behind trailers and the UNI-GO just makes sense to me. First, it's plenty spacious and could have easily held everything I had in the bags. According to the site, 40 lbs on the seat or in the top case would be harder to stand-up that 80 lbs in the UNI-GO - this made sense since the center of gravity is virtually at or below the axle. You would load your heavy stuff in the bottom - just inches off the ground and your bulky items mid-way up. You fill your trailer first and it's possible you won't even need to fill the bags.

Do you have any experience pulling a trailer? Have you pulled both and do you agree the UNI is easy to use and control?

Lastly, the Goldwing that was on the same trip had a UNI-GO and carried the gear for he and his wife - they had chairs, extra clothes, and many items that I had to leave at home - all in the one trailer. Between his wife's Pacific Coast and his Goldwing - the only things they had in the saddlebags and top boxes was the cameras. He has towed his over 52,000 miles and just loves it when they are going 2-up or camping is on the schedule. He has never pulled a 2-wheeled model and we've theorized that a flat, pothole, or increased collision potential (from width alone) makes these non-practical.

Opinions/experiences, please.

Thanks,
Gordon

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
While I don't tow a Unigo, when my wife and I are doing multi-day rides, we tow an Escapade trailer with our Wing. It makes it so convenient to bring pretty much whatever we want. Generally we carry a full set of camping gear until we're certain we won't be camping. When I rode to AK last year, one of my riding partners towed his Unigo the 4400 miles and was totally thrilled to have it. And he was never a fan of trailers.

For a good website on motorcycle camping, check out www.motocampers.com.

I've been towing trailers for the past 9 years since I learned to ride and have 10's of thousands of miles towing. Go for it.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
You might wish to take the time to read this thread especially starting on page 11 and on. Bear in mind it is one data point... linky

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Monowheel or two-wheeled. They are different, and they both have high and low points.

I can talk about a single wheel trailer, because I have one.

Single wheel is nice because as a general rule, if the motorcycle can pass, the trailer can too. You don't have to worry about the width of the trailer, or how close to the curb you are. Under rain, the motorcycle wheels make a clean "channel" for the trailer wheel so I think it's more stable. You don't really feel the trailer back there, but some people experience significant weaving. The ST1300 is not the most aerodynamically stable motorcycle there is to begin with.The cause of that weaving remains under debate. They carry less stuff too than the average two-wheeled variety. But then if I had a large trailer, my GF would pack it full to the lid. The single wheel trailers also put more tongue weight on the motorcycle since the wheel is right at the back of the trailer. You have to be more careful when going in reverse, because they can fall on the side if they are at a an angle from the motorcycle. All in all, I don't regret my choice. I don't think that it is possible to claim that "you absolutely don't know it's there" but I believe that a monowheel trailer is about the most discrete trailer you can tow, if you don't get the dreaded weave for some obscure reason.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I built my own one wheeled trailer (I'm a chea....er, frugal guy!) from a plastic job box and trailer parts from tractor supply. Not the most "elegant" thing, but functions beyond my expectations.

Writeup HERE.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I have both a 1 wheel and a 2 wheel. I prefer the 1 wheel to the 2. It pulls better and is not wider than the bike. I built it for the same reasons as you are looking for. Here is a pic of it loaded with camping gear on a 7 day trip south this past April.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
When you decide what you want make sure you search out some goldwing sites and check the for sale sections. There are a lot of trailers on those sites for sale.

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
4 days?? What the heck are you bringing???:confused::D
My reaction is similiar to Kempo's. My last 4 day trip to the Smokies with a Tank Bag and a River Bag on a luggage rack, left one side bag almost empty !

My own opinion, which was somewhat dampened by the testamonies of the experienced trailer haulers here is... why? To me, its not a motorcycle ride if you're hauling a trailer. The way I ride, I can barely keep two wheels on those roads in the Smokies, three or four would be asking for trouble.

Different strokes I guesss.

My .02, you asked.;)

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Another thing most forget... When the wife and I go for more than 3 days, We UPS a box of clothes to swap out and send back the dirty ones home. ( she doesn't camp, so we ship to a hotel we know we're going to be at )

Bike
2005 ST1300
My reaction is similiar to Kempo's. My last 4 day trip to the Smokies with a Tank Bag and a River Bag on a luggage rack, left one side bag almost empty !

My own opinion, which was somewhat dampened by the testamonies of the experienced trailer haulers here is... why? To me, its not a motorcycle ride if you're hauling a trailer. The way I ride, I can barely keep two wheels on those roads in the Smokies, three or four would be asking for trouble.

Different strokes I guesss.

My .02, you asked.;)
I coming from the point of how much 'stuff' one needs for 4 days...
Well if you bring the wife thats the first 'problem'..(kidding! kidding! :p:;))
I don't think the trailers are unsafe...I've been behind the 'blazing trailer' from MR Georgeorge for hundreds of miles and some real screaming riding and I wouldnt consider it unsafe..Likely you get to your destination and you can drop the trailer and go chew on some roads..
but 4 days/3 nights = 3 pairs of underwear, a couple too-tree-four t shirts, a sweathshirt, change of shoes out of the boots, maybe 2nd pair of jeans, tooofbrush and good to go! Tent/bag/chair stuff No??..

Bike
2005 ST1300
Maybe he likes to have a lot of beer with him? (Kempo should appreciate that).
Gotta get the beer local and cold! Don't want to shake the beer up to much before you get there, that would be disastrous! But I'm feelin ya Dave! (not literally of course..unless I'm drunk:D:D)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The actual topic is 'Need Experienced Inputs on Luggage Trailer'. Let's keep the comments related to that please.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #

My own opinion, which was somewhat dampened by the testimonies of the experienced trailer haulers here is... why? To me, its not a motorcycle ride if you're hauling a trailer. The way I ride, I can barely keep two wheels on those roads in the Smokies, three or four would be asking for trouble.

Different strokes I guess.

My .02, you asked.;)
My choice riding alone is to just to pack the bikes bags with just what I need and maybe a bag on the back seat and I am done. But on a long trip with the S.O. who is not so frugal. It is much easier to keep all extra weight off the bike and put it in the trailer.

With the misses on the back I would not be hitting the roads very hard anyway. Surprisingly the st handles very stable on the highway, in winds, and on the twistys with the trailer. At least for me it seems to stabilize the bike on the freeway at speed.

Gary
:04biker:

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Joe, all - thanks for the replies and inputs. A 70 mph limit is unacceptable, so I've got to learn/study more. I would be on the Interstate at times and I occasionally use the ST's go to put myself in a comfort zone where cars/trucks aren't sniffing my fumes.

As for space, your gear or your clothes changing practices are a lot "less" than mine. Now, I do carry a tire repair kit, a full tool kit, an Areostitch tire pump, flashlight, spare/clear Arai shield, and a rainsuit with me in the bags - everywhere I go. If the wife had gone, she would have nowhere to sit or put a single pair of shoes. ou don't expect her to wear her riding boots to lunch or dinner do you?

I'm the guy standing and my friend's GW and his Unigo beside my ST.

Gordon

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
"A 70 mph limit is unacceptable, so I've got to learn/study more. I would be on the Interstate at times and I occasionally use the ST's go to put myself in a comfort zone where cars/trucks aren't sniffing my fumes."

Gordon

70?? I did not seem to have that problem. I would not push it too fast but I would always pace my self to surrounding traffic. This may be 75 or 80 out on the interstate. Some times passing may be higher.

Gary
:04biker:

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I will add a couple more reasons I like using the trailer over carying everything on the bike.

1, I find the bike handles better with the weight in the trailer than on the back seat. I would guess the lower cg is why.

2, on my last trip to the South we did both camping nights and hotel. Since I do not trust people to not mess with things if I had all my gear on the back seat I would have had to unload each night and bring everything up to the room. With the trailer I just back in and take what I need up. The rest can stay locked in the trailer and stay clean and dry overnight in the parking lot.

Anyway just some point as to why I have and use a trailer.

So far I have not found a neg to towing. I can ride the same pace I would ride with or without the trailer.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Because of an electrical Germlin in Kreis Weigels bike,,, I finally got to visit his house,,, and see his trailer he makes...

I was not even really interested,,, in owning a trailer,,, but,,, after seeing,,, his trailer???

I FRIGG'N WANT ONE!!!

I REALLY REALLY DO I SAY!!!

:bow1:

Top Bottom