Need help installing Electronic Cruise control

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
In the Installation manual where it says to hook up "Tach" wire to negative side of coil or tach wire , what terminal on a '07 ST's coil do you use ? Blue/Yellow (or Yellow/Blue) from the ECM or the Black/White also from the ECM & fuel cut relay, injectors, and bank angle sensor relay .
The ST's coils are also "negatively" grounded thru the coil housing according to ST 1300 wiring schematic.
I am planning to buy either a Dakota Digital or a Rostra non-vacuum unit ; they seem to be the same wiring.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
There is a good PDF on the install here if you haven't seen it already.

I did an install of an Audiovox for someone this fall and for that install I tied into the coil like this

Here is the entire post link

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks for the info, did your instructions say to hook it up to the negative coil terminal and how did you know which is the negative on the coil ?
How did the cruise control work when you got done ?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Per the picture and the LINK below the picture. Yellow with Blue Tracer. Mine works just like any car unit I have. To disengage, brake, pull in the clutch or turn off. Has resume and coast. Installed fall of 06 and ZERO problems, well I hope it did not hear me say that.

Kevin

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks for the info, did your instructions say to hook it up to the negative coil terminal and how did you know which is the negative on the coil ?
How did the cruise control work when you got done ?
Did you use the Rostra or the Audiovox Ultracruise II? What did you use for the VSS divider? Where did you get the components and what did you pay? This project is speeding toward the top of my list...

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Did you use the Rostra or the Audiovox Ultracruise II? What did you use for the VSS divider? Where did you get the components and what did you pay? This project is speeding toward the top of my list...
I haven't done any electronic cruise installs but I have done two CSS-100 installs on the 03 1300s now. I might be able to help you out a little.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Two wires on the electronic cruise control I need help with... There are two brake switches aren't there (front and rear)? So where did you guys wire these?

From Page 18 of the installation manual:
C.Red Brake Positive
“Hot” side of brake switch: Use the wire at the brake switch connector with constant
+12 volts
D.Violet Brake Negative
“Cold” side of brake switch: Use the wire at the brake switch connector with zero (0)
resistance when brake is not pressed, and +12 volts or open resistance when brake
is pressed.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
You should be able to do this like we did in the directions for the CSS-100.

On the CSS-100 the purple wire is the brake wire. +12VDC when the brake is pressed and 0VDC when the brake is released.

If you look about halfway down the first post here CSS-100 Install you will see where he gets to the wiring. He pointed out that he taped into the Green/Yellow wire on the right side of the bike. The connector that he shows is the connector that goes up to the right switch pod on the right bar and would connect to the brake switch on the front brake. Now this is where I made my connection and can confirm that this connection point will terminate the cruise when the brake (right bar actuated or foot actuated) is applied. I didn't trace the wires to see how the circuit is wired in common but it works.

Hope that helps.

Scroll about halfway down

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Two wires on the electronic cruise control I need help with... There are two brake switches aren't there (front and rear)? So where did you guys wire these?

From Page 18 of the installation manual:
C.Red Brake Positive
?Hot? side of brake switch: Use the wire at the brake switch connector with constant
+12 volts.
This wire can connect to any +12V switched point in the system. I'm not sure how you are tapping into power to supply your cruise control but if you are using a quartet harness, +12V switched is easily located. If you are not using the quartet harness you can still access the White/Green wire running to the quartet harness connector, this is the +12V switched line. This line, BTW, is also directly connected to both brake switches.

D.Violet Brake Negative
?Cold? side of brake switch: Use the wire at the brake switch connector with zero (0)
resistance when brake is not pressed, and +12 volts or open resistance when brake
is pressed.
They sure worded that crappy. You want to connect this wire to the Green/Yellow wire that Sennister mentions in his post above. I went to the same point as shown in the Audiovox instructions but you could also snake a wire all the way back to the tailight assembly to access the wire there if you so desire.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks guys (I knew sennister would say something). I ran into nm6r's post a while ago, but he only mentioned the color of the wires and I wasn't sure if the colors would change between the vacuum and electronic units. I'm gonna tackle this on Saturday and hopefully document where I connected each wire by both function and color, maybe even take pictures.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Thanks guys (I knew sennister would say something). I ran into nm6r's post a while ago, but he only mentioned the color of the wires and I wasn't sure if the colors would change between the vacuum and electronic units. I'm gonna tackle this on Saturday and hopefully document where I connected each wire by both function and color, maybe even take pictures.
Yeah, I noticed he didn't have the color codes translated. I had the Audiovox install instructions (PDF) on my computer so I looked them up really quick to verify that the Purple was the brake connection. I thought it was but wanted to verify. The blurb about what the purple wire is looking for was taken word for word from the CSS-100 manual. I know you have a different cruise but it would provide a translation as to what NM6R did.

Top Bottom