Need help with alternator harness

Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
I am in the process of gathering all the necessary parts for the 40 amp upgrade.
Based on the parts list posted somewhere on this forum, I think I have everything but for one part.
I am having a hell of time trying to locate the alternator wiring harness; 32130-MAJ-G40 SUB-HARNESS.
I was able to get an almost complete kit off of ebay, for about $300, the shaft, base plate, alternator o-rings, bearings and the zero backlash gear.
The base plate is available on ebay, there is a guy on the east coast who had them made.
Does anyone know where I can find this harness? Is there a workaround this somehow?
Mechanically I am quiet confident I can make this happen. Electrical issues give me anxiety attacks.
Thanks in advance

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Have you tried on-line genuine Honda parts sellers like Partzilla, Ron Ayers, Service Honda, etc.? Googling the part number brings up several sources.

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Have you tried on-line genuine Honda parts sellers like Partzilla, Ron Ayers, Service Honda, etc.? Googling the part number brings up several sources.
I have, they're all saying that it's on back order with unknown ship date. Thanks for the response

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I was able to get an almost complete kit off of ebay, for about $300, the shaft, base plate, alternator o-rings, bearings and the zero backlash gear.
Just curious, what’s a “zero backlash gear”...?

Do you want to borrow the free STOC alt upgrade tool kit with tools, complete documentation, incl video? 170+ successful upgrades to date.

John

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Make your own:

Easy. The OEM harness is shown in this image:

John
John,

Zero backlash or anti-backlash gear is a type of a design where two gears of the same tooth profile and size are installed with teeth offset to each other. The offset or “misalignment’ is obtained by a spring (or variation of them) mounted between the two gears. Just like the two gears on our ST’s alternator. In electromechanical actuator applications the gears are usually the same width, where in our ST, the width is quite different. The benefits besides the elimination of initial shock upon start up also include a much more accurate feedback from whatever they’re driving. Another added benefit can be found in multi gear drives such as a planetary drive. Were you to assemble one with just plain gears, just because of gear tooth profile tolerance, you’d end up with a rather sloppy gearbox. Sloppy being relative term in this context. Where I work we manufacture gears with less than .0003” tooth profile tolerance and tooth to tooth tolerance of .0003”, AGMA 12 class gears (American Gear Manufacturers Association). I attached a picture of one of the designs of anti-backlash gear.

I would love to borrow the kit, it sounds like it would make the whole job much easier. I am just not sure if there are any time restrictions on completing the project and return of the kit? I would hate to sit on it while someone else is waiting for it. Let me know the details please.

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Aha, yes... the “split gears” on the front of all years and models’ Alternator Shaft Assembly, that engage the engine flywheel.

Why would you buy them? They are already on your extant Alt Shaft Assy and just get transferred to the new 40amper Shaft during an upgrade.

Here’s one of the best resources about the alternator upgrade: (40 Amp Alternator Upgrade

Free STOC loaner special tools and tool kits (register if you’re not already): STOC Tool Kits

John

Last edited:
I am in the process of gathering all the necessary parts for the 40 amp upgrade.
Based on the parts list posted somewhere on this forum, I think I have everything but for one part.
I am having a hell of time trying to locate the alternator wiring harness; 32130-MAJ-G40 SUB-HARNESS.
The base plate is available on ebay, there is a guy on the east coast who had them made.
Does anyone know where I can find this harness? Is there a workaround this somehow?
Mechanically I am quiet confident I can make this happen. Electrical issues give me anxiety attacks.
Thanks in advance
When I did this up grade I made my own wiring with 50 amp fuse. No big deal. Two wires

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Here is kit I am selling on eBay.
Nice, John. Got a link to it to share here and on ST-Riders, please?

Assume the alt is the Chinese copy? Also curious as to how many of the shafts you’ve been able to obtain/have on hand...? I try to keep up on upgrade parts availability. Since the plate becoming N/A from Honda, my next worry was/IS about the shaft which is a lot more difficult to fabricate than the plate. And now the wiring harness appears to be going..

That’s an interesting variation (cotter pin) on the original Jon Lewis-Pin.

Regards, John

Hi
I am pretty sure this Chinese alternator which came in denso box. As for shaft I have 5 right now. Will see how it goes.
JC

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
That’s just a picture. Here’s the url/link I was asking about:

Thanks agaIn for producing the plates, and offering up this package.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom