Need help with why this wont run

So i have a 1999 st1100. Has spark, fuel pump is sending fuel to the carbs, must be getting fuel through the carbs because the plugs get wet, regapped the plugs just to make sure it was not a gap issue. Done a timing belt on it and that belt was plenty tight and timing bang on. Had it running a few times after it was all mechanically back together, let it run up to temp before shutting off. Now today went to start it and drive it up the road and it kicked once and now just rolls over. So i checked all of the above and this is where i am at. So not in the mood to poke at this and take alot off of it. Too me just sounds like its flooded, i had left it sit for a few hours and tried again and no luck.

Sounds 'electrical' to me - if it was fuel they usually slow down not abruptly.
Clock on or off when you hit the starter?
I'd pull a spark plug and see if it is firing.
I had checked the plugs and was getting fire. But i checked again and the spark is not jumping in the middle, its off to the side. Had just went to my local canadian tire and the parts boy dug around for a while and found me 2 ch9eh9 plugs, so i bought them just so i could experiment. Threw just the 2 new ones in and it fired up on those 2 only. So guess i am looking for 2 more tomorrow. Plugs did not look that bad that were in it but guess so. I wonder if anyone has tried any other types of plugs besides the ngk plugs that are recommended? I know an iridium version is available but not sure if they are worth trying.

Some guys here swear by iridium plugs - and say they have run them for upwards of 100k miles. However, there are a LOT of counterfeit Iridium plugs out there, and most folks go for the cheap ones (ok, low priced ones), which are invariably sold by smaller vendors and are not checked to be sure they are legit. The bikes don't care which plug you run, NGK or Iridium, and aside from not needing to change them every 16k miles (book rec. for 1300's; sorry, I don't know the interval for 1100's) there don't seem to be any great advantages. Problems have been reported with the fake Iridiums.

Top Bottom