NEED SOME TRAILERING HINTS

Bike
ST 1300
Well it seems one of my "bucket list" items is about to come true. Since i retired about 1 1/2 years ago I have been talking about going up to northern Pa and spend a month riding with a friend of mine. So in that light I went out and bought a 5X8 brand new utility trailer yesterday to carry the bike up there. Got a great deal on the trailer ($610). I'm going to put a HARBOR FREIGHT locking wheel chock on it. Now my questions are

Is it better to tie it down from the handlebars or the tipover bars.? I have the rear tipover bars on it so I will probably use them for the rear.
What's the best way to lock the bike to the trailer for overnight's at a motel?
Any useful hints I would truly appreciate.

Thanks in advance folks you people are the best.:bow1::bow1:

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
Front and rear tip over bars, I'd probably go from the handlebars too since you are trailering pretty far. Too many straps can't hurt! Be sure to take along a few extra. My friends that have trailered and stayed at motels just take a chain thru the rim to the frame of the trailer and lock it that way. Be sure to lock (or remove) your bags as well.
Great point about removing the bags at night...never thought of that thank you:bow1::bow1:

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
Ride the bike. Sell the trailer. Ship what you need UPS ahead of you. Have pie.

Sell it I haven't even got it yet...its being delivered June 19th. I thought about riding up there but a month with no car would not be fun for me esp. on rainy days. Speaking of pie, I'm staying at a nine unit motel run by the proverbial "mom and pop". They even have a small diner attached where I'm sure mom will be maiking pies.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Geoff,
I'm with Gruv-meister...
You're killing me...

All that time and you're not going to ride it up here??
450 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway and another 100 on Skyline Drive! Gadzooks!!:confused::confused:

Another on Get some rain gear...Thats it I'm hiring someone to take the tires off that trailer as soon as it gets there..

If you get East of PA in your travels, look me up..:D
MAYBE YOU CAN EVEN DO IT ON THE BIKE!!!!

Yes you deserve it:D:BDH:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Is it better to tie it down from the handlebars or the tipover bars.? I have the rear tipover bars on it so I will probably use them for the rear:
Use a good front wheel chock, remove the plastic wing covers and bags... tie downs to the crash bar under wings and rear of bike where the bags sit.

http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1005

I don't recommend the handle bars at all.

Not to hijack the thread but has any one used the HF wheel chock on a st1300 and or a st1100 with the fender extender or the stuff stopper on the front fender/ any cleareance issues with the locking device?

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
+1
Agreed on good rain gear.

If it won't fit on the bike, you don't need it. Strip yourself bare for a month, you'll find it an interesting experience. Enjoy the ride.

Gazoo
I got a hundred responses for that but if I use any Joe will boot me off this thread...:D:D:D

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Thumbs up on the front tire chock. Use 6 QUALITY ratcheting tie down straps. All straps should pull the same direction toward the tire chock. (****** Do not use the handle bars as a tie down point! *******) Also do not over compress the front shocks - about 1 1/2 inches of compression is plenty. When you buy your ratcheting straps look for tie down extension straps to make the connection to the bike the attach ratcheting tie downs to them. These are the ones I use and they will not fail - no scratches either. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p408432&leafCatId=&mmyId=

I attach 2 each side straps up front to the Triple Clamps and forks. Your tip over bars are good for the rear. Remember to make them all pull forward, doesn't need to be extreme forward angle, but still forward.

Good luck with the trip. Wish I was retired !!!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I use a 6 point tie down, By the way I will be trailering my ST with my Jeep to Colorado at the end of the month. Leaving my Jeep in Colorado and riding the ST back to Texas. Back to the subject. 6 point tie down. Go and buy some soft straps. Then attach the soft straps the the triple clamp under the front faring. Attach the soft straps the the grab rails in the back (take you bags off and put them in the cage.) Put rags around the grab rails first. Then attach another set of soft straps to the tip over bars( you will need to remove the tip over bar covers. Now attach your tie down straps to the soft straps and cinch down. DO NOT use the handle bars as tie down points. They will flex and could break under certain conditions. Here are a couple of pic. of when I trailered to a TECHSTOC in Dallas. As you can see I pulled my tupperware and left it at home.

Top Bottom