Need ST1100 carbs cleaned by Mech - Corona, CA

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Once in a while this will work:
Drain the carbs with them on the bike, remove the fuel line at the fuel filter and fill the carb bowls with a cleaner such as Berryman's Cheemtool and let them sit for 2 or 3 days, drain the berryman's hook the fuel line back up and see if the bike will run well enough to ride. If so runn a couple of tanks of Berryman's and it might clear up. If not they will need taking apart and cleaned.

Do not use spray carb cleaner as this will disolve the rubber parts.

Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
Hey Bigequip,

Tell us how the 2000 ST is actually running, if at all. If it is running, even ratty, put some Berrymans or Seafoam in tank, run it for 15 minutes at least then let it set for a few days. May be able to any further aggravation.

Jim

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Bigequip,

Tell us how the 2000 ST is actually running, if at all. If it is running, even ratty, put some Berrymans or Seafoam in tank, run it for 15 minutes at least then let it set for a few days. May be able to any further aggravation.

Jim
+1

Does it start?
How long did it sat?

I am not a mechanic, however I had the same situation and cleaning the carbs was not a pain at all. Who knows I might be able to come by and help, I just have to know when and where.

OP
OP
Bigequip
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The ST will start and run only with the choke fully on. You can ride it but it wants to die and you have to keep the rpms up at stop lights. I let it sit to much this past summer.

Hey Bigequip,

Jim

OP
OP
Bigequip
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The ST will start and run only with the choke fully on. You can ride it but it wants to die and you have to keep the rpms up at stop lights. I let it sit to much this past summer.

+1

Does it start?
How long did it sat?

I am not a mechanic, however I had the same situation and cleaning the carbs was not a pain at all. Who knows I might be able to come by and help, I just have to know when and where.

The Cheese

If still want someone else to do it, Id be happy to help you out. Dont think postage would be to much. Email me if you like.

I would try the above first. Cheaper and easier. Then if it dont work, you could always pull em off.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Since the bike will run with the choke on, this is classic case of the pilot circuit clogged up. Go back and try post #2. Mix the Berryman's Cheemtool or Seafoam @ 2oz per gallon and go ride with the choke on. When/if she starts running rich shut the choke off. At least 2 tanks of gas. After that install new spark plugs ad change the oil and filter. It's gonna clean the carbon in the engine up also. Try the easiest fix first

after you get the carbs cleaned out, you should keep seafoam in your gas when not useing the bike for long periods. I fixed sticky carb floats on my connie, by spraying carb cleaner directly into fuel line, with the engine running.
steve

Bike
2001 ST1100
I have used Yamaha Carb dip with success in cases like this. Follow directions. Fill float bowls. Let sit, overnight is best. Drain it. Fresh gas. Should clear up. Compressed air through the pilot circuit is a bonus if pull the screws. I sent you a PM. I have a large ultrasonic cleaner if it comes down to pulling the rack out.
Mike D

OP
OP
Bigequip
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
jaysponger or anyone that wants to help:
I have arthritis in my hands and can not work on small bolts & Screws without dropping them. Then I can't find them,. so if I could find someone to help me get them cleaned, I would appreciate it. I can be reached at 951-317-4290.
Thanks, Dave

jaysponger

Re: Need ST1100 carbs cleaned by Mech - Corona, CA
Quote Originally Posted by jvick98 View Post
Hey Bigequip,

Jim
+1

Does it start?
How long did it sat?

Bike
2001 ST1100
We got Dave idling again. It isnt perfect smooth yet. May need some more time to clean out or just a synch. All of his pilots were completely plugged up. Some chemtool spray and a little time is all it took. We left it in the dark with plastic still off as were were fussing to replace missing fastener clips. Dave can get it closed up tomorrow.
Mike D

OP
OP
Bigequip
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Mike came by this afternoon and pulled carbs. The idle jets were plugged. He removed jets and we cleaned them. The bike runs very good now and idles. Thanks a million for your help, Dave :biker:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Nice Mike!

IMHO: A sync would be a good idea since you removed them cleaned them all out.

Bike
2001 ST1100
Yeah, I have a synch gauge. It is a cheapo made in Taiwan but I used it on my bike. Seemed to work ok. We will get to that next time. Mike D

OP
OP
Bigequip
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I rode my St1100 last weekend and it was an improvement but it had a very high idle that could not be turned down. I called mwdaug and he came over Friday to pull carbs again and clean them thoroughly. Mike came back this afternoon (Sun) and put Carbs back on. It idles smooth now and at 1100rpm like it should. A big thanks to Mike. :biker:

Bike
2001 ST1100
A final synch is probably still in order but at least Dave is back on the road now. Mike D

Top Bottom