Need ST1300 Shock information

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I need assistance to make an educated choice for my 05 ST1300 suspension upgrades for a 240lb rider, 2 up with full bags. I need the technical information on the rear shock to include length, width of body and shaft, stroke distance, spring length. Does anyone know if the Preload on the stock shock can be fitted to another brand. I got some good advise from ElGato(thanks) and am still researching all options for the best price and package deals.

OP
OP
GaryRivers67

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Need Shock information

My choice will be the Hagon Shock with Hydro preload. I contacted Dave and may order one for my ST. I am still open to suggestions, but this looks for me to be the best bang for my buck.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Just for consideration I'll mention that RaceTech can rebuild the OEM shock including their Gold Valve and add a new spring suited for your riding weight for $150-180 less than the Hagon shock with remote preload adjuster. The RaceTech rebuilt shock will then be rebuildable in the future.

At least two of us bought Hagon shocks and had problems with them. I had two that failed within 4,000 miles. Dave Quinn responded to the problem well but after the second one I was done with Hagon.

I had problems with RaceTech doing the job in the time they originally told me and the price also went up from the original quote but I am satisfied with the RaceTech rebuild now that it is all said and done.

OP
OP
GaryRivers67

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Thank you for the tip

May ask how much was the rebuilt stock shock from RT with upgraded valve and spring?

Hagon goes for $699 + shipping, I do need a shock that will deliver on durability. Has anyone just put a stiffer spring on a stock shock and were happy with the results?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thank you for the tip

May ask how much was the rebuilt stock shock from RT with upgraded valve and spring?

Hagon goes for $699 + shipping, I do need a shock that will deliver on durability. Has anyone just put a stiffer spring on a stock shock and were happy with the results?
Depending on what parts are needed for the OEM rebuild RaceTech should quote $280 to $330. Mine was $330 as every wear part was replaced and the Gold Valve was installed. I am light and retained the orginal spring - a new spring is about $120. So about $450 plus shipping. Call RaceTech for current pricing.

I do recall that a few of us have replaced the OEM spring with a HyperPro spring and kept the OEM shock body. If you look in the Technical subforum for Performance, Handling, & Exhaust you will find a lot of information on suspension upgrades and modifications including spring replacements.

OP
OP
GaryRivers67

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I Had a great ride today with ElGato and his crew at Sacketts Harbor. Breakfast at the Tin Pan Alley was fantastic. Upon my return I felt my shock was not tight enough and checked this site for tips on the Preload adjuster. Sure enough Mine was stuck and low on fluid. I popped out the cap, removed the banjo bolt and added fluid. I then put it together and I now can preload my shock. If it does not leak I may just need to change the rear spring and front to match. I hope that works. Has anyone else just increased the spring rate on the rear shock to handle the load? Thanks.

OP
OP
GaryRivers67

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I rode today about 100 miles with my wife and it seems the Hydrolic Preload worked and did not leak. I hope others are able to try this fix before shelling out major $ for a new shock. I think now I will do the gold valves on the forks and a stronger spring on the rear.

Now to get out and ride.

Gary

Top Bottom