Need to extend screen

Hi all. I need to extend the screen of my 1999 ST1100. I know there are larger screens available but is there anything that can be 'added' to increase the height?

I have seen some screens with what looks like an attachment leaving a small gap between the surfaces which I assume creates a venturi effect.

Any ideas or info is gratefully received.

I've actually tried adding an attachment to my bike's screen before. It created a small gap and helped with the wind pressure. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it did make a noticeable difference in reducing the wind hitting my face. Just make sure to find one that's compatible with your bike model and give it a shot.

Bike
VStrom 650
Puig do a nice flip, either screw or clip mount. Not cheap.
Also MRA do a two piece screen. The MRA works well hut the Puig would probably provide more adjustability.
I had a ride in your part of the world in 2022, just in the North this time with some time in Porto.
Upt.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I used one of the eBay cheapies. It works fine and they come in 2 widths. I used the larger one on the STs and a smaller one on the SWing (used to be on the ST until I bought the wider one). I have used Laminar lips in the past and they work well enough but have had them blow off in the cold weather with a large truck passing me in the other direction (I guess a lot of air compression then vacuum as they pass me). I usually set them up so that they are more or less flush against the existing shield (add maybe 1 to 1.5” above the windshield so it makes a nice pocket of non turbulent air to hide behind). This also means the arms of the extension are in a folded position (you’ll see what I mean if you get one).

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

They’re set in position and I don’t mess with them. Plus, I’m still looking over the shield and not through it, which I prefer vs a much taller shield.

Last edited:
Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
In the long run, you are probably going to be cheaper buying the taller screen. I'm 6ft 4in and find literally no buffeting, unless well over the speed limit (100mph +) ...

Pan Euro (Front) S612PAG.jpg Pan Euro (Front Offside) S612PAG.jpg Pan Euro (Front Nearside) S612PAG.jpg Pan Euro (Offside) S612PAG.jpg Pan Euro (Nearside) S612PAG.jpg

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Gave such a thingy a try on last year's Norway run, can't deal with European speed limits though, means the "joints" fold down >120kph/75mph, leaving the lower edge rubbing on my Secdem screen...
And frankly, it didn't do much on reducing wind noise at motorway speeds to begin with... removed it after two days/once we reached the ferry port at Gdansk/Poland...
Turned out that the bare Secdem screen was more silent and caused less buffeting to begin with...

Also keep the increased stress due the drag of taller screens in mind; cracked garnish screen, pulled well-nuts...

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I have the large one on my VFR1200X Crosstourer and it hasn't moved despite doing speeds higher than Martin mentions. It was roughly the equivalent of $11 US with free shipping from a certain Chinese website.

20220209_133423.jpg

Top Bottom