Nemo Switch Multi-configuration tent

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I pre-ordered one of these a few weeks ago and it finally showed up.

There have been several trips I've been on where it was tough to find any shade and I liked the few tents that allowed some type of awning setup without having to bring a separate tarp.

1654714115725.png

1654714158949.png

I don't have a good place to set it up outside or it's going to smell like ah.. dog stuff...

So, I did a quick set up in the living room.. it's a 2-person tent but if you didn't know you'd think it was a 3 or 4 person tent due to the amount of material. The bottom is thick and Nemo says it doesn't need a footprint because of that.

It appears to be very sturdy and I can almost stand up inside. The added ability to extend the front fly with poles (not included) will allow you to sit under it with plenty of headroom. There's also a generous vestibule at the back end of the tent.

It comes with it's own long zippered tent bag which makes it very easy to pack but it is 24 inches long so pretty much going on the back seat.

It takes a little getting used to to setup but should be an average setup time once you get used to it. Should be an excellent summer-tent giving you a great awning option.

I'm planning on using this for NatSTOC in a couple weeks.

If you're interested in the tent you can get 20% off at CampSaver

IMG_20220608_125101.jpg

IMG_20220608_125433.jpg

IMG_20220608_125806.jpg

IMG_20220608_130642.jpg

IMG_20220608_130654.jpg

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Took some more pics in the driveway... I wouldn't risk damaging the floor by sitting inside w/chair but maybe with something under the chair... it gives you an idea of how much space is inside. Also, you can just sit inside the vestibule even without the awning deployed.

IMG_20220609_115228.jpg

IMG_20220609_115539.jpg

After packed in the bag it comes with it fits in my dryspec d28 bag (top).

IMG_20220609_101515.jpg

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How has it been in the wind and rain so far?
The poles are a little thicker than typical backpacking tents... and the way they connect they are actually very stiff. I guyed it out when in Pampa due to the wind but just one side and I'm not sure it made a difference. It felt like a 10-15 mph wind so not extreme but I feel it would do better than my other Marmot tent.

It did rain pretty good on Friday at NatSTOC and was fine.. it's a new tent so I didn't really expect it to leak.

I really like the ability to create your own shade... the last few years I've been at several campgrounds that had just scrub brush and no big trees or even picnic shelters so this would have been perfect for those trips when the sun is beating down on you.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Just bought this tent for my son for his birthday. REI had it at $150. Bought a footprint for it from Moose Jaw prior to reading your review about it not being needed. Oh well, a little extra protection won't hurt.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also just bought this from REI online for $150 last week. Expect it to arrive at the local store for pickup in a week since it's not in stock at the local store. I checked again today and the price is still 1/2 off.
In spite of Nemo claims that the footprint is not needed I plan to use one anyway. But good to know the floor is thick. I have one in my wish list on Amazon for $20 that is the same width but a few inches shorter. Perfect IMO.
This Nemo tent is a slightly smaller floor size than my current Alps Mountaineering, at least in the middle, but has a lot more headroom. Selling the Alps Mountaineering tent in the For Sale sub forum (sold).
I really like any tent that has poles that cross each other at 2 places... at each end. I find that design is very wind resistant and much more stable in wind than typical dome tents. Personal experience there with my current tent.

This is the footprint. Says it's a 1.5 person tent size. The Nemo tent is 88 x 51 inches and this footprint is 86 x 51.
https://a.co/d/8lWFEym
The Nemo footprint for this tent is way too pricey for me. I'd more likely go with a Tyvek House Wrap sheet if this Amazon footprint won't work. I did use Tyvek for another tent I had before my current one.

I already have some poles that I was using with my tarp that I usually would put up over my current tent. With an awning I won't need that extra bit of camp gear (tarp).

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Was looking through my garage cabinets this morning for something for my wife and on the top shelf of one I found a remnant of the Tyvek sheet I obtained from some local builders for a case of soda. I had asked if I could have the cut off bit from the gable of a large condo they were building and the guy pulled off 10-12 ft length from an 9 ft wide roll out of his supply trailer and gave it to me. I only needed 4 x 8 ft for my Mountain Smith tent that I had back then. The remnant I found is 90 x 53. Perfect for this Nemo tent after I cut off 2 inches from the length and width. So I already have my footprint.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, NOW I'm stuck with it...
The Alps Mountaineering tent sold today. Just waiting for my Nemo tent to be ready to pickup at the REI store on Saturday. I already have a long skinny dry bag that it will fit into perfectly and a Tyvek footprint and 2 poles and some new reflective para-cord to replace the cheap thin black cord that typically comes with all tents or tarps. So I should be all set for LOCSTOC now. Wishing I was able to attend FerrySTOC but more important matters to take care of this entire month through June 6.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nemo Switch 2P tent is now in the house. Looks like I ordered mine just in time! I just looked on the REI website and it is no longer listed there. I was able to get it for half price online and it took 2 weeks to arrive. No time to set it up or even to pull it out of the stuff sack today since today there is daycare for one granddaughter and soccer and a concert tonight for the other 2 grand kids! But I did open the box it shipped in to verify no obvious damage to the contents.

edit: Looks like it packs twice as big as my previous 2 tents but those were much smaller.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Something I learned long ago with good quality tents is that you NEVER STORE the poles folded up in their pole bag if they have shock cords. Doing that will stretch out the shock cords so they don't do what they need to do very well after a short time... and that is to not just keep the poles gathered when packing but to help to hold the poles together when being used to support the tent. I have sometimes read of other tent owners who needed to replace the shock cords in their poles for this very reason. This is true for aluminum and fiberglass poles alike.

Therefore I have always stored my tent poles fully extended/assembled with the shock cords allowed to be significantly less stressed. Usually that means I have a few straight poles that be easily set into hooks I screwed into the overhead floor joists in the basement storage room. This Nemo tent is the first tent I've owned that doesn't have all straight poles that are flexed or bowed to hold up the tent. One of the poles, there are 2, has a fitting to put an angle on it in 2 places. So that makes it a little more of a challenge to put into a straight line of hooks. Today I just finished putting in a few extra hooks that will allow me to store that special pole at its natural shape when it is relaxed.

Here is what that mess looks like...
PXL_20230528_195831818.jpg

Top Bottom