Neoprene scuff protection for tie-downs...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... on trailers, train, ferries, etc... when anchor points are too close so the straps could run over/rub on painted fairing parts

(I found some on Amazon, hence this is just an "example" ;) )

But zippers?
There's a point of (scuff prevention) failure, right there.
Aside from the more or less irrelevant* fact that these are for computer cable management in the home or office and might not hold up under the stress of a heavy strap, you have a very good point.
*mostly less

When I've seen something like these used, it's purely to keep the length of loose strap from flapping in the breeze. Not so much for where a taut strap would rub against something.

I'm a fan of soft tie-down straps. These have plush covers to boot. :)

... might not hold up under the stress of a heavy strap, you have a very good point.
As known from my dive suits is double laminated neoprene quite rigid...
I'd intended on areas where drag starts to flap the straps around, so they bang on fairing parts while on the move

... to keep the length of loose strap from flapping in the breeze.
I've chosen tie-downs with a small bungee on the buckles, where you can secure the loose over-length.
And my shackle loops (in bright orange) go on nothing soft ;) (fork tube above lower triple) ...

Those neoprene socks mentioned above pack nicely into the Cotura bags of my tie-downs, IMO more versatile then wrapping a rag over them...

tie_down.jpg

Strips of cotton cloth cut from old t-shirts wrap any strap that may rub against something you don't want scuffed up and a couple of 4 inches of blue painters tape around any excess straps to keep it from flapping.

It may not be as elegant but it works well.

Strips of cotton cloth cut from old t-shirts wrap any strap that may rub against something you don't want scuffed up and a couple of 4 inches of blue painters tape around any excess straps to keep it from flapping.

right... things I carry in the tank-bag... like always... :think1:

Well... it's stuff I keep in a back pack of tow items I keep in the car for when I have to load the bike on the trailer. I don't keep it on the bike. Although I do have a small roll of emergency duct tape under the seat. LOL

It may not be as elegant but it works well.
Cheaper, too
Well, I do carry a bunch of cut up old soft t-shirts in my top case along with a small bottle of windshield washer juice and electrical tape. Those would work in a pinch. How often do I go on ferry's anyhow?

Any synthetic fiber (nylon, polyester, etc.) will scuff or rub the finish off. A natural fiber (cotton, wool) will not.

I remember once detailing a bike for a guy who trailered with a nylon cover on his bike. Looked like the entire bike was rubbed down with a green scrub pad. It took quite a compound and polish to get it to shine again.

Back
Top Bottom